Gransnet forums

Chat

cut flowers not opening?

(30 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 21-Mar-23 17:05:05

Has anyone had experience with cut flowers not opening properly, and withering while still partially open? I bought some daffodils on the weekend, and they are withering without even opening properly. I had the same thing with tulips a few weeks ago.

I generally make fresh cuts on the stems and put them in cool water when I bring them home. This is really disappointing because I love spring flowers and they are more expensive this year.

Kathmaggie Thu 23-Mar-23 16:21:37

Whenever I have bought supermarket flowers and they don’t open at either before the dates specified on the wrapper ( usually 5 or 7 days ) I take them back! Never a problem to have them replaced. 😊

Rosalyn69 Thu 23-Mar-23 16:46:10

Daffodil failure has happened to me a couple times this year. I’ve never had this problem before. Strange.

Fleurpepper Thu 23-Mar-23 16:52:12

Cut too early. Staff shortages???

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Mar-23 17:54:25

I have never had daff problems before. It was a surprise that it could even happen! I've always just cut them straight across about 3cms up and put them in water. This is enough! I don't know why I was taught straight across for daffs to be honest!
Tulips (and Gerberas) I trim then wrap up reasonably firmly in newspaper and dunk the lot for a minimum of a couple of hours in a cool place in a deep bucket/tub of water. This give the stems time to firm up and for them to settle in an upright position.

I cut other stems diagonally (above a knuckle in case of a pink or a carnation) and remove any leaves below the water level.

With roses and woody stems my parents (usually dad) used to do a cut up the stem for an inch or two as well - or bash them at the bottom - but a florist once told me this can let bacteria in so i have stoppeddoing this... Maybe that's why my dad used to put a little vinegar in with the roses.

If roses are drooping the "barely off the boil" water treatment was also used in my childhood michelleblane.

Unless I'm really out of time I do let my cut flowers sit in a cool place for a while before bringing into a warm room.

Why did I have this problem with daffodils this year?
I have had at least a dozen bunches. All the others have been lovely!