Gransnet forums

Chat

Gov Emergency Alert Conspiracy Theory.

(43 Posts)
Nantotwo Wed 22-Mar-23 00:07:50

The first conspiracy theory regarding the new government severe event alerts appeared on my Facebook feed today. It was posted by a friend who is a Covid denyer and moreover is a QAnon type theorist and often posts things saying Wake Up People!. This lady is very sweet and kind but I think has little going on in her life and has been drawn to this. I'm always willing to hear both sides but this particular rant that was posted was a guy saying its the government's way of testing the populations compliance and once you get this alert (on 23rd April), if you don't hit REPLY, your phone is disabled until you do. He goes on to say that your number has been supplied to the government illegally by your provider. The chap also said this has never been done elsewhere. I've looked into this on various sites, and you don't hit reply. You hit OK to clear it....but its true that functionality is affected until you do that. Its not true that it's not been used elsewhere as several countries use the same or similar. No one has been given your number, phone masts just send out a message and if you have a 4 or 5 g phone, you will receive the alert. The conspiracy theory is it will be used to tell everyone that all the banks have crashed, The Great Reset. The government say its for emergency services and government alerts such as wildfires. We for several years have received flood alerts so I expect its something similar but I'm sure we signed up for that. On this alarm, you need to go into settings and disable. I don't believe the conspiracy theory, but not sure how I feel about the forced nature of the alerts....me and the mister feel its more likely being brought online due to world events. I was just wondering how many Gransnetters will keep them and how many will disable them? www.gov.uk/alerts

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Mar-23 02:02:43

Hi, here’s the previous thread about this, lots of people have given their views
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1322313-Emergency-Alert

M0nica Wed 22-Mar-23 15:44:51

Slightly different topic to other thread.More about conspiract theories.

It does rather illustrate just how stupid most conspiracy theorists are. All this alert is, is a modern rerun of the old fashioned Civil Defence siren system.

Instead of a banshee wail spreading everywhere from sirens, an electronic banshee wail will reach all 3G/5G mobile phones. How anything like that can mark any kind of 'Great reset' is unclear. Apart from anything else for all banks to fail, all governments would have to totally collapse at the same time.

Sorry, pull the other leg, it has bells on.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Mar-23 16:06:18

I know of someone whose Facebook page is lauding Putin ‘he’s killing all the paedophiles’, weird and wacky.
I won’t be disabling anything on my phone.

Caramelkeg Wed 22-Mar-23 16:18:01

It's a shame that anyone questioning what they're told is seen as "stupid " or "not much going on in their life ".

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Mar-23 16:23:49

It isn’t the Government that is sending the Alert to your phone it is your service provider…

Nantotwo Wed 22-Mar-23 19:24:24

Thanks M0nica, it was indeed about the conspiracy theory rather than the alert....its just the first one I've seen about the alert and was very unconvincing if they wanted to persuade anyone

M0nica Wed 22-Mar-23 19:27:49

It's a shame that anyone questioning what they're told is seen as "stupid " or "not much going on in their life ".

It is not the questioning that is the problem, I hope most of us are doing it all the time. It is the unsupported, unreasonable and irrational conclusions some people reach that are stupid.

People can and will differ, but arguments need to be well supported and able to stand up to close scrutiny.

EEJit Fri 24-Mar-23 11:46:20

Now we need an Amber Alert system for missing people similar to the US system

Galaxy Fri 24-Mar-23 11:53:39

What's the success rate of that?

Grantanow Fri 24-Mar-23 12:03:06

Brainless nonsense to be ignored.

gangstergranny Fri 24-Mar-23 13:10:19

This is my own private device which I pay for, how can the government control it?

MerylStreep Fri 24-Mar-23 13:15:58

gangstergranny

This is my own private device which I pay for, how can the government control it?

Seriously 😂
If you were still using an old Nokia I could understand that opinion, but not now with our Smartphones.

volver3 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:16:14

gangstergranny

Are you online?

(Well, you must be, daft question volver...)

How do you think they send you adverts that are targeted at you?

I don't think this is a conspiracy, by the way. It's just an emergency alert.

Skye17 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:19:59

M0nica

^It's a shame that anyone questioning what they're told is seen as "stupid " or "not much going on in their life ".^

It is not the questioning that is the problem, I hope most of us are doing it all the time. It is the unsupported, unreasonable and irrational conclusions some people reach that are stupid.

People can and will differ, but arguments need to be well supported and able to stand up to close scrutiny.

👏🏻👏🏻

Galaxy Fri 24-Mar-23 13:27:40

This is a fault in my character I admit, but I dont like being made to do things in general, unless it's the law, so I will opt out. Its utterly immature and irrational but certainly nothing to do with conspiracy theories.

volver3 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:30:10

I've opted out Galaxy. I don't need the additional stress!!

Gundy Fri 24-Mar-23 13:41:52

Your sweet lady friend could be lonely, those types are vulnerable and can easily get caught up believing RUBBISH.

People worldwide are scared that things have changed (not always for better), strong voices emerge and get their messages amplified, people get confused and lose their nuts.

Stick to brave, courageous moral (and not angry!) leaders who hang on to democracy and fairness. Don’t believe everything out there. Stay the course.

MamaB247 Fri 24-Mar-23 14:09:28

From what I've heard already I feel it could be dangerous to be honest. Everyone's phone going off high pitched siren at the same time. Causing mass hysteria and worse some will be driving and unable to respond and could potentially have accidents. I'm all for a warning text etc but a siren that prevents you doing anything until you click ok is a bit much. At least drivers can ignore a text briefly until they are safe to respond. What if the user is in process of a 999 call that someone's life is dependant on. Do they just end that call to Dela with a warning then get put back in a queue for 999 while the phone lines are jammed etc. It's total madness.

MamaB247 Fri 24-Mar-23 14:13:55

It's also far from friendly for those with autism, hypersensitive hearing and those who are vulnerable and may think their phone has been hacked this could put many lives at risk because ultimately not everyone will know that it's a government thing and they could panic and refuse to press anything Mensing they are unable to use phone for emergency measure until they do. The government need to sort this out long before this alert is issued.

dotpocka Fri 24-Mar-23 14:22:15

galaxy>>> amberalert.ojp.gov/statistics

dotpocka Fri 24-Mar-23 14:23:29

the link was@@$%U&

amberalert.ojp.gov/statistics

Galaxy Fri 24-Mar-23 14:27:02

Thanks dotpocka, I should have looked it up myself. I have a secret true crime podcast addiction so I hear it mentioned a lot.

Nannipocci1 Fri 24-Mar-23 15:41:31

Absolutely turned off. No consultation about this. My phone my privacy

Azalea99 Fri 24-Mar-23 16:00:02

I had a friend who was into conspiracy theories big-time. I haven’t seen or heard from her since the alien spaceship landed on Uxbridge Common …..