Gransnet forums

Chat

Which accent do you absolutely love?

(133 Posts)
AskAlice Thu 23-Mar-23 19:58:23

Hearing Steven Gerrard on the TV tonight (build up to the England game, which OH is currently watching.)

I just love a Scouse accent. Being Inner London born and bred, I have a typical Cockney accent (I was born in the City of London district within the sound of Bow Bells) but I think that is a boring sound. The Scouse accent just seems to sing!

What accent, apart from your own, appeals to you most?

Kate1949 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:30:15

Southern Irish where my parents were from and I have many relatives there. The Dublin accent is particularly appealing to me. Also Scouse, French and one which most people hate, Brummie because I am one!

Fleurpepper Fri 24-Mar-23 11:05:13

Southern Irish too (sorry not NI). And Italian accent. I am fascinated always by Geordie, as it is the one English accent I cannot imitate for the life of me.

nanna8 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:06:00

Hard to decide really. I love the Welsh accent and also Geordie. Yorkshire's not too shabby,either. I could name a couple I really don't like but, not wishing to offend anyone, I will keep it zipped!

henetha Fri 24-Mar-23 11:07:45

Southern Irish. I love hearing my grandson-in-law speak in his soft lilting way,
Also Welsh. Just love it.

glammanana Fri 24-Mar-23 11:20:02

I class myself as a soft scouser there is a massive difference between my accent here over the River from Liverpool and the inner City itself.
Geordie is my favourite along with a soft Scottish lilting accent.

Esmay Fri 24-Mar-23 11:21:06

Most accents - Southern Irish , Scottish , West Country , Scouse ,Yorkshire and the Leeds accent since I watched Googlebox !
Those two sisters really make me laugh !
French and Italian
accents are appealing .

pascal30 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:23:39

French, Italian, Spanish, Southern Irish, Shetland, Geordie, Glaswegian, Dutch, Swedish all so delicious

fiorentina51 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:18:11

Brummie for me.

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 12:23:21

fiorentina51

Brummie for me.

Oh! Oh! I could kiss you! 🥰
(Is Black Country acceptable?)

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 24-Mar-23 12:25:05

Dublin. Especially Northside Dublin. I follow the World Snooker Championship just to get my fix of Ken Doherty's commentary!

Kate1949 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:27:29

As I posted above, I love a Brummie accent because I am a Brummie. It's because if I'm away from Brum and I hear one it makes me think of home.

Bodach Fri 24-Mar-23 12:36:19

West Highland/Hebridean for me every time.

Taichinan Fri 24-Mar-23 13:21:53

I absolutely love the Geordie accent, and Highland Scottish and the Western Isles. And I love hearing people from the Netherlands speaking English. There is one accent in particular that really grates on me, but I'm not saying which!

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 13:27:35

I'm not sure if I have a favourite accent in particular, but there are certain people whose voices I do love. I could listen to football boss Jose Mourinho talk all day, for instance - he's got a voice like melted chocolate!

Dee1012 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:53:42

I'm from Liverpool originally - still have quite a strong accent and I live in Newcastle.
My work takes me to one location and I'm welcomed by a lovely man who will call me 'hinnie / bonnie lass' and makes my morning a little brighter, although he tells me he loves my accent so it's a mutual ego boost I think!

I do love a Northern Irish accent and a Glaswegian one....

Fleurpepper Fri 24-Mar-23 17:56:06

What a mix, Scouse + Geordie. Which one dominates or is it a 50/50 mix.

Poppyred Fri 24-Mar-23 18:31:27

South Walien
French
Italian
Southern Irish

Kate1949 Fri 24-Mar-23 18:34:00

I actually think the Birmingham accent is awful but I love it because it's mine. smile

Oreo Fri 24-Mar-23 18:39:41

I love country accents, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk especially.😍
Like in Detectorists.

AskAlice Fri 24-Mar-23 18:40:12

Great to hear all your favourites, many and varied! I think I am particularly fascinated by all the different accents, although I couldn't identify most of them by region, because the Home Counties (where I have lived for the past 20 years after leaving London) is really mostly London overspill. For instance, Hertfordshire has no particular accent to call its own as far as I am aware, likewise Bedfordshire.

My daughter's partner still has a discernable West Country burr, despite having left his native Devon 20-odd years ago. I love hearing it!

Oldbat1 Fri 24-Mar-23 18:50:38

Scottish and some Irish accents but I do not like the Liverpool accent.

Grandma70s Fri 24-Mar-23 19:03:44

The trouble is that in England regional accents are class-related. Received Pronunciation/Standard English is the same all over the country. Alexander Armstrong, for example, comes from Northumberland, but his accent doesn’t tell us that. I know there are other well-known examples, if only I could think of them. I personally know many northerners who have no local accent.

There are regional English accents I dislike, but I can’t think of any I particularly like. Welsh, Scottish and Irish are a different subject.

Lexisgranny Fri 24-Mar-23 19:17:03

Geordie and Southern Irish for me, though Somerset always makes me feel happy for some reason.

Lilypops Fri 24-Mar-23 19:49:37

Glammanana Do you find the scouse accent of years ago is very different to the very strong drawn out lazy sound of today? , I do, born and bred in Liverpool I would hardly believe it was the same accent

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Mar-23 20:37:33

Geordie is miles ahead of Scouse for me which is in strong second place.