Gransnet forums

Chat

I should feel good about it but....

(47 Posts)
kittylester Mon 27-Mar-23 11:12:41

I have lost loads of weight - hooray.

But, I now have nothing to wear in the summer.

What should you feel pleased about but are, actually, finding it not such a blessing?

kittylester Fri 31-Mar-23 08:00:08

Thank you, Bertha. Looking forward to cafe and cupcake again before too long. Though that won't help the weight loss!grin

BigBertha1 Fri 31-Mar-23 07:38:34

Kitty losing so much so quickly and under such circumstances must have been traumatic. Pre weight loss you had a lovely style always looked good when we met for coffee. Could you not buy some more things like that in a smaller size. I have lost three stone over the last few years slowly and in patches so I don't feel any slimmer....very odd.

kittylester Fri 31-Mar-23 07:32:45

I'm so sorry to hear your news, ikiesgranma.thanks

merlot, I know I should just embrace it but I find it really stressful. Was Ten Ton Tessie anything to do with Tessie O'shea? Probably not, but in my (childhood) head they were!

merlotgran Fri 31-Mar-23 00:00:59

Embrace the thin, kitty. My DD’s mother in law and co-granny is so naturally thin she can waltz into any shop and pluck something off the rail knowing she will look great. I am only slightly overweight according to my BMI and could do with losing half a stone but next to her I feel like ten ton Tessie (whoever she was)

What!s important is your health so if are feeling well just go for it and have a ball - especially as the rest of us are dead envious! 😂

Ikiesgranma Thu 30-Mar-23 23:27:15

I’ve had a weight problem for most of my life. I’m 63 and I’ve lost almost 5st over several years. I was finally feeling good about myself but have now been told that my aggressive cancer has returned in two places and are inoperable. I will have palliative chemo soon. I’m sad on so many planes, not least because I can’t bear to leave my family who are devastated. I’ve spent almost 40 years being unhappy with my weight and now I’m going to be thin but really ill.

Fernbergien Thu 30-Mar-23 15:01:00

Kitty - I also lost weight because of illness . spring / summer 2019. Had to get rid of many clothes. Mainly to hospice shop.
Then altered dresses. Just take in side seams.
Got rid of many trousers. Harder to take in/alter.
Altered some tops.
Found some jumpers wearable others not.
Had to get rid of lovely winter coat
First 2stone then another two separate halves.
So some new trousers big on waist. So threaded inch wide elastic through worked with most.
Bought a lot. Don’t begrudge yourself.
Keep you eye open for bargains. I am quite good at it. Beautifully made jacket from Wallis for£15.
You will be a new woman. 😁

Norah Wed 29-Mar-23 22:09:09

Have you considered alterations/ alterations?

Scottiebear Wed 29-Mar-23 18:04:00

Congratulations on losing your weight. I find the supermarkets great for inexpensive everyday clothes. Tunic summer tops and cropped leggings can look quite smart for every day.

kittylester Wed 29-Mar-23 16:51:25

Thank you all for you advice and kind comments. I really started the thread to see what other people had experienced that wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Yellowmellow Wed 29-Mar-23 15:23:13

Could you sell some of your clothes that are too big and then use the money towards a few new things?

HousePlantQueen Wed 29-Mar-23 15:10:47

So glad you are recovering Kitty, maybe use planning a new wardrobe a positive? A great opportunity to plan properly, not buy random things (like I do), maybe as others have suggested; buy a good pair of cotton trousers for the summer (can seriously recommend LandsEnd for quality and fit), and a few t shirts and layers? If you are more of a dress person, there are some great pages on FB where people sell second hand, hardly worn 'frocks' brands such as Phase 8 , Roman etc. I have bought a few new frocks for a holiday this summer from them (but have to lose a stone or so to get into them).

Kate1949 Wed 29-Mar-23 15:00:49

kitty. I'm so pleased you are recovering after your worrying time.

IrishDancing Wed 29-Mar-23 14:57:53

What about eBay Kittylester? Just get a few things at first? I’m glad you’re feeling so much better and hope you start to enjoy your new size.

NanaPlenty Wed 29-Mar-23 14:39:39

As well as Charity shops have a look on Vinted if you are able to get on the internet … some good bargains.

kittylester Wed 29-Mar-23 14:32:51

Kate, I can empathise. thanks

Kim, no apologies necessary but I shouldn't take credit for having the will power to ever do it voluntarily!! grin I am really well now - almost back to normal.

Kim19 Wed 29-Mar-23 14:02:58

KL, sincere apologies. I completely presumed/misunderstood. I hope you are feeling better and that your weight loss may end up being beneficial. SO sorry........

Kate1949 Wed 29-Mar-23 13:18:10

I found a solution to my total hair loss in a hair system. I get compliments such as 'I love your hair' and 'You don't look anywhere nears your age'. I should feel great. I don't. Inside I feel horrible. Just the final straw really.

Blondie49 Wed 29-Mar-23 12:41:06

Same here Kitty - lost 2 stone as doc said I was pre diabetic and was also pre osteoporosis. Did a huge chuckout , altered tops and dresses I loved and bought basics . Anything else will be charity shops unless very special occasion. Did think of going for a capsule wardrobe, but I like variety.

Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Mar-23 12:21:08

Hi Kitty
I completely understand.
I have like you lost weight (several stone) due to heart attack and also in hospital with Covid at same time.

I am now fighting fit and enjoying going to gym 2 twice a week.

One of the hardest decisions was deciding to keep, 'just incase' I were to weight on.
Which I don't really want to do.

Parting with my lovely collection of jackets was an another hurdle.

During winter months I have just worn my now baggy tops under a jumper or a fleece.

I have not tried to replace everything, as you say too daunting and I have deliberately put one stone back on.
Mainly due encountering people who I have not seen since pre covid, observing shock, re -weight loss on my face!

I am going to concentrate on mix and match pieces in colours that I like.

White jeans, 3/4 trousers in basic colours to go with the above.

The thing is clearing out my wardrobe actully proved to me that I only wear about a third of the items anyway.

Your health is the important thing.
We are both very lucky,
We survived!

Mirren Wed 29-Mar-23 12:10:50

I'm the same. Lost almost 3 stone over the last year. This is in preparation for daughter's wedding in May. She's a real skinny minnie and I couldn't bear to look huge beside her .
I've a bit to go , half a stone or so that I am finding hard to shift because I am fed up .
I always feel low in mood when I lose weight. I like looking thin , do have clothes that I can wear and feel physically fitter.
Sadly , I never feel " happier " .
My face gets thin and wrinkly and I look older..and I feel miserable watching what I eat all the time even though I have a variety of food .
Maybe there's some truth in the saying about being " fat and happt " !!!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Mar-23 11:55:04

It sounds as if Suzey and kittylester could get together and arrange a clothes swap! Seriously, I hope you are feeling better, kittylester and that you will enjoy the summer in your renewed body. sunshine

enabenn Wed 29-Mar-23 11:48:03

Charity shops have lots of good clothes. Try them

Sarah75 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:16:30

3 stones! Wow, that’s a few dress sizes! Enjoy putting together a new wardrobe! Hope you’re fully recovered

Maria59 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:07:29

kittylester do you know someone handy handy with a sewing machine? When I had a similar loss I altered a lot of my clothes leaving enough seam so they could be let out if needed (didn't need to)

kittylester Tue 28-Mar-23 09:28:57

Thank you both for your concern. I lost 3 stones in hospital and while bedbound afterwards. No need to see a gp again. And the 3 stones were definitely better gone.