Gransnet forums

Chat

In my point of view this is ridiculous and needs stopping

(138 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 11:28:58

Just switched on to This morning I m not usually in so don’t watch it normally but I m so disgusted to see a couple of women who have set up a business of colouring dogs as an art project called Picasso poodles They made the point that the dye is natural and not harmful to the dogs but that’s not the point a dog isn’t a blooming canvas it should nt have to go through a period every month or two of being ‘painted’
Get yourselves a canvas and easel ladies
This has made me so cross on behalf of the dogs and because of all the idiots who will follow this ‘trend’ holly willoby and Alison Hammond were oohing and ahhing and admiring

A dog is an animal not a flipping mural everything that is bad about our treatment of animals these days

HousePlantQueen Mon 27-Mar-23 13:05:31

It's all rather peurile and silly and demeaning. I try not to be, but I am very judgemental about people's attitudes to dogs especially when they spend thousands on some poor overbred pup probably from a much abused and exploited breeding bitch. I went so far as to change my hairdresser because I couldn't stand listening to her bemoaning the behavioural issues they were having with their very expensive French bulldog. The money these shortsighted and selfish people spend could drastically improve the lives of many dogs in rescue and they could have a wonderful life with a rehomed dog, as we have.

dogsmother Mon 27-Mar-23 13:23:46

Well, I have a poodle and Do NOT colour his fur nor would I. However the nature of the poodle I have at least is to want constant fussing and attention and apart from the dryer I would hazard a guess he’d love it, all that attention and fussing he’d get.

Doodledog Mon 27-Mar-23 13:38:47

The problem is that rescues go too far the other way. It is all but impossible to get a rescue dog unless you are retired, or otherwise in all day, have a garden, and fit all sorts of other criteria (no children, some children, another dog, no pets) and so on. By no means all people wo go to breeders are 'shortsighted and selfish', for heaven's sake. Sometimes it's the only way.

A friend of mine is trying to adopt a rescue dog, and sent me this in frustration. It made me laugh out loud, as I've been there myself.

HousePlantQueen Mon 27-Mar-23 16:27:24

I agree Doodledog some rescues are a nightmare to deal with, friends who have a tiny courtyard garden but live on the edge of the Downs had a great deal of bother getting a dog. My language was unduly harsh about people going to breeders, sorry, I just get upset when I see reports of bitches that have had litter after litter, and feel that the people who buy the overpriced, overbred pups are to blame. Responsible breeders do not do this of course.

Dinahmo Mon 27-Mar-23 16:31:59

nanna8

Ohh there’s some sick frickers around. I don’t like people who put bows in their dog’s hair, either, or dress them up with silly coats.

Sometimes it's necessary to tie up the hair on their heads to keep it out of their eyes.

Blondiescot Mon 27-Mar-23 16:39:40

I absolutely detest this. It's just encouraging all the idiots who think a dog is some kind of toy or fashion accessory.

AGAA4 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:43:53

Some people need to learn to respect animals. They are not there for our amusement.
This is just another sign of the arrogance of human beings.

Oreo Mon 27-Mar-23 16:51:53

Baggs

*We are a bloody awful species really*

No we aren't. Some people are bloody awful. Most aren't.

I really dislike all the anti-humanism floating around nowadays, helped on its way by sainted misanthropes in the public sphere.

Look at ourworldindata.org and humanprogress.org

As a species we have improved and we still are doing.

Which doesn't mean no bad things happen because some people are wicked and or stupid.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I also don’t think it’s cruel even tho I don’t like to see it really.
As to dignity, dogs don’t worry about things like that.It doesn’t harm the dogs at all, not like all the breeding that goes on with all the faults that really do harm dogs.

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Mar-23 17:21:47

Oreo as much as you’d like to think that Baggs was disagreeing with me, I think that you’ve missed the point that she was making

BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 17:22:37

How long do you think it takes doing all this colouring one dog had its ears and back (I think it was) with little caricatures not sure if it was bows or something all over must have taken ages drawing and painting them in
One was like Joseph and the multicoloured coat
Why oh why ? No dog lover would want to improve on what they are born with, a dog is not a bloody canvas it’s a living breathing animal
I read of a cat with a diamanté earring, oh the mind boggles these people are idiots and should not be encouraged with ‘oh aren’t they wonderful’ from the simpering Holly

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Mar-23 17:26:22

I think that you’re on the wrong thread BB, but it took me a while to work it out!
# leave those dogs alone

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Mar-23 17:27:17

FannyCornforth

I think that you’re on the wrong thread BB, but it took me a while to work it out!
# leave those dogs alone

Sorry - I’m confused myself. Ignore me. thanks

BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 17:28:53

Not at all sure what you mean FC ?
I m on the right thread are you ?

Doodledog Mon 27-Mar-23 17:29:14

HousePlantQueen

I agree Doodledog some rescues are a nightmare to deal with, friends who have a tiny courtyard garden but live on the edge of the Downs had a great deal of bother getting a dog. My language was unduly harsh about people going to breeders, sorry, I just get upset when I see reports of bitches that have had litter after litter, and feel that the people who buy the overpriced, overbred pups are to blame. Responsible breeders do not do this of course.

I agree that some breeders are irresponsible and I would like to see much tighter regulation, particularly surrounding the number and frequency of litters a breeding bitch is allowed to birth. I also think that it should be much easier to adopt a rescue dog though. Whilst I understand that centres don't want to have to keep rehoming difficult dogs whose placements haven't worked out, it sometimes feels as though they don't want them to leave at all.

Iam64 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:05:00

Doodledog - the rescue I volunteer for doesn’t insist on someone home all the time. I’ve also been involved in approving adoption of a 6 year old dog with a 75 year old man. His adult children agreed to step up if dad needed support or the worse happened. We are careful about under 8 year old children.
It’s worth trying breed specific rescues where dogs relinquished go to foster carers for assessment. The aim is to match with families/individuals best suited
Expert behaviourists remain involved with some

Doodledog Mon 27-Mar-23 20:23:38

Thanks Iam. I've resigned myself to not getting another dog (for various reasons - not because of shelters!) but my daughter had no end of problems trying to adopt. She is a fab dog 'mum', and has given her dog (from a breeder) a great home, but was refused by a rescue centre because she and her partner both worked. They arranged their days in the office so they don't coincide, and the dog is not left on his own, but this wasn't taken into consideration. They don't have a large garden, which also counted against them, but they live near a canal, where the dog gets two walks a day.

When our last dog died we were given the runaround by a rescue centre too. They seemed to think that if we were serious about getting a dog we should be happy with any age, breed and sex, but it doesn't work like that. After one particularly disappointing experience when we were led to believe we could start the process with a puppy we'd fallen for, only to find that he was in the final stages of adoption with another family, we gave up.

It might be that not all rescue centres are the same, but these were in different areas entirely, and we both had negative experiences, as has the friend who sent me the meme.

Fleurpepper Mon 27-Mar-23 20:32:26

The discussion is not really about rescues, though, is it? But I for one am glad that rescues try very hard to find suitable homes. Just too many dogs are kept in unsuitable conditions, and then troubles start, and where do the dogs end up ? Yes, shelters, to be rescued, far too often.

Oreo Mon 27-Mar-23 22:38:13

FannyCornforth

Oreo as much as you’d like to think that Baggs was disagreeing with me, I think that you’ve missed the point that she was making

What are you on about?
I agree with what Baggs said, end of story.
Then I added my own opinion on the dog colouring thing.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 02:50:11

BlueBelle

Not at all sure what you mean FC ?
I m on the right thread are you ?

Yes, sorry BlueBelle, I got confused confused
I did apologise unthread, but i don’t mind doing it again smilethanks

Hetty58 Tue 28-Mar-23 03:03:15

BlueBelle - I disagree - (although I think it's stupid) as a dog really doesn't care what it looks like.

Instead - I thoroughly object to the general public buying horribly deformed animals, (already set up for a life of pain) feeding them cheap 'complete' crap, not exercising them enough, not interacting with them, not attending to their basic needs (let alone their healthcare), leaving them shut away during the working day - and treating them as living toys for their own entertainment.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Mar-23 03:16:49

My retired friend managed to adopt from a rescue centre - after long delays and thorough checks. The poor little thing is an ex-breeding bitch.

She loves other dogs, the garden, children, cats, walkies etc. - but hid at first and wouldn't go out for months. Still, you can't touch her or pick her up without a huge panic reaction. She doesn't trust adults and probably never will.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 03:57:35

Hetty ah, poor little thing sad

BlueBelle Tue 28-Mar-23 06:48:29

I don’t think it’s one or the other hetty I think this ‘use’ of animals both go hand in hand they are all showing that people feel they can ‘use’ animals for profit, for fun, for show, without a thought in the world for the welfare of the dog

You don’t need to apologise again Fanny when I wrote my second post your apology hadn’t shown up so I didn’t know you realised you’d made a mistake

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 07:10:39

BB 👍

Fleurpepper Tue 28-Mar-23 08:23:29

Hetty58

My retired friend managed to adopt from a rescue centre - after long delays and thorough checks. The poor little thing is an ex-breeding bitch.

She loves other dogs, the garden, children, cats, walkies etc. - but hid at first and wouldn't go out for months. Still, you can't touch her or pick her up without a huge panic reaction. She doesn't trust adults and probably never will.

She will- and your friends are doing an amazing job. Wonderful.