Gransnet forums

Chat

In my point of view this is ridiculous and needs stopping

(138 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 11:28:58

Just switched on to This morning I m not usually in so don’t watch it normally but I m so disgusted to see a couple of women who have set up a business of colouring dogs as an art project called Picasso poodles They made the point that the dye is natural and not harmful to the dogs but that’s not the point a dog isn’t a blooming canvas it should nt have to go through a period every month or two of being ‘painted’
Get yourselves a canvas and easel ladies
This has made me so cross on behalf of the dogs and because of all the idiots who will follow this ‘trend’ holly willoby and Alison Hammond were oohing and ahhing and admiring

A dog is an animal not a flipping mural everything that is bad about our treatment of animals these days

sazz1 Sat 01-Apr-23 01:21:49

I have 2 spaniels that I love very much. I treat them as dogs. They are trained and do what I say. They run on the beach or in the fields every day. They don't wear clothes, bandanas, coats or boots. They would only wear a coat if they were ill or very old and needed it for warmth. They don't have a birthday party or Xmas presents and as for colouring them with dye it's a definite no. I'm happy with the colour they are naturally. Atm they are happy sleeping on the sofa next to me and will sleep in the kitchen tonight on their dog bed. They aren't children they are animals and are respected and treated well. People who dress up dogs and dye their coat are not fit to own a dog imo. They are not toys to be dressed up and painted.

Iam64 Sat 01-Apr-23 08:56:52

sazzle hurrah for yiu and your spaniels. My spaniel shares a similar life style, thou sadly we have to drive 50 mins to a beach. We do have rivers and reservoirs. The lab was swimming yesterday, it made him smile with joy.

Joseanne Sat 01-Apr-23 09:05:09

People who dress up dogs are not fit to own a dog imo. They are not toys to be dressed up.
That's a bit harsh sazzl. Is Monty not fit to be a dog owner for dressing Nigel with a hat? And Paul O'Grady when his dogs wear bandanas and hats?

Joseanne Sat 01-Apr-23 09:05:48

Photo

foxie48 Sat 01-Apr-23 09:48:47

I think most owners know what their dogs are happy with and what they are not and often it comes down to what they have been bred for. I'm not one for dressing my dogs up but I will pop a coat on them if it's very wet and muddy. That's for my convenience not theirs as they are house dogs and there's a limit to how much mud and dirt I want to be brought into the house. However, lots of dogs are quite happy being dressed up and I think some of the comments on here are very harsh. Dogs have successfully assimilated themselves into human life because they are adaptable, trainable and have a symbiotic relationship with their owner and some breeds are definitely more amenable to being generally petted and tarted up than others (lap dogs?) and give their owners huge pleasure.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Apr-23 11:46:22

Joseanne

Photo

Sorry Joseanne, not quite sure why you are playing this Devil's advocate game here. That is NOT dressing up - and I am absolutely sure you know the difference. Why?

Joseanne Sat 01-Apr-23 13:39:21

Because Fleurpepper Monty's photos amount to the same thing as my plonking my DGS's lion hat on my dog for 5 minutes to take a photo, yet that caused a stir here and was referred to as "dressing up". Neither Nigel nor Leo were harmed in the process.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Apr-23 13:41:56

No it it not the same at all. A hat is just put on top of head, not force through over head. VERY different for a dog.

Joseanne Sat 01-Apr-23 13:57:20

And no issues for two weeks prancing around with this on 24/7.

But it's not a competition here to get het up over, so I'm out.

Janetashbolt Sat 01-Apr-23 18:50:20

In USA vets dck tails, cut ears, anything a nutty owner requests they do. They put down healthy dogs where a couple split up and one takes dog to vet out of spite. I disapprove if painting but there are far worse things done to aninals

Iam64 Sat 01-Apr-23 19:12:45

That’s a very good point Janetashbolt. In the uk ear cutting is illegal but back street breeders mutilate XLbullies as pups, for example, to make them look fierce. I saw a beautiful Doberman this week, ears clipped to stand up.
It used to be that spaniel pups had to have their tails docked to be kc standard. My lovely gentle blue roan had a planned and only litter when she was nearly 3 years old in 1975. Our regular and great vet came out to dock tails and dew claws. He recommended ‘put the mum away, she will be very distressed to hear her puppies cry’. It’s something I’ve never forgotten. I was hugely relieved when the tail docking ended other than for working spaniels when I agree it’s necessary

And - whataboutery, those flat faced dogs who can’t deliver their puppies without a C Section. For the love of dogs

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Apr-23 19:17:13

Joseanne

And no issues for two weeks prancing around with this on 24/7.

But it's not a competition here to get het up over, so I'm out.

Again, this is a ridiculous comparison, and you know it as well as I do. This is necessary for the health of the dog!

janetashbolt- we are not in the USA (and yes some still declaw cats!) - and just because worse things are done elsewhere, is NO excuse.