Gransnet forums

Chat

That ad I keep seeing about icing a sponge cake….

(24 Posts)
Witzend Tue 28-Mar-23 11:29:49

…..with a lot of sickly looking yellowish icing, does it make anybody else feel it’d be far nicer without? Just some jam in the middle and a light sprinkle of icing sugar on top?

Or am I just weird? (I won’t mind if anyone says yes!)

Calendargirl Tue 28-Mar-23 11:33:26

I agree. It looks soooo sickly.

I keep deleting it, but does it have a can of lemonade added to it?

🤮

Greenfinch Tue 28-Mar-23 11:34:50

Agreed though I have a jar of unopened lemon curd and was thinking of using it with some buttercream in a sponge.

Greenfinch Tue 28-Mar-23 11:36:46

I was thinking the lemonade was going into scone mixture but I don’t look very closely so may be wrong.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Mar-23 11:38:39

Whether the lemonade goes in the cake or the scone mixture, I’m sick of the blooming advert popping up, plus the woman in the striped dress advertising it.

Theexwife Tue 28-Mar-23 12:00:12

Calendargirl the ad is below your comment at this time.

I much prefer a plain sponge, so many are too highly decorated with fondant or buttercream, they look impressive but I don't think they would eat well.

There was a time when cupcakes were fashionable that were more topping than cake.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 12:05:32

I agree, it looks revolting.

Salti Tue 28-Mar-23 12:29:13

It doesn't do it for me either. I prefer mine.

J52 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:48:40

I hate that sickly icing. Big question- has anyone made the cake or scones?

MrsKen33 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:01:57

Yes made the scones. You could have paved the road with them, they were so hard .

NanaDana Tue 28-Mar-23 13:13:40

Not a fan of any sponge cake, really, so it wouldn't look appetising to me whatever the topping. Rich fruit cake? Now you're talking. I've been known to bake an extra Christmas cake just for me. Small(ish) one though... wink

Janiepops Tue 28-Mar-23 14:50:46

Salti, yours looks really really fab! Would eat that all day long!!

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 15:02:01

Greenfinch

I was thinking the lemonade was going into scone mixture but I don’t look very closely so may be wrong.

Yes, I think the lemonade is part of the easy peasy scone recipe.

The cake has now appeared in the middle of this thread and on the right hand side too.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 15:02:49

Salti

I could just eat a piece of your cake Salti!

singingnutty Tue 28-Mar-23 15:29:55

I have made scones with lemonade but they needed eating as soon as they had cooled down or they were not good.

Ziplok Tue 28-Mar-23 22:46:08

These pop up ads are so annoying aren’t they? The cake looks revolting, and the scone and makeover ones irritate, too. Why they have to be in the middle of posts, I don’t know, but their flickering and jumping about are so irritating. They don’t tempt me to click on them, that’s for sure, rather I try to scroll past as quickly as possible. I’m sure we didn’t used to be plagued by them like this.

Blinko Wed 29-Mar-23 09:30:35

Ziplok

These pop up ads are so annoying aren’t they? The cake looks revolting, and the scone and makeover ones irritate, too. Why they have to be in the middle of posts, I don’t know, but their flickering and jumping about are so irritating. They don’t tempt me to click on them, that’s for sure, rather I try to scroll past as quickly as possible. I’m sure we didn’t used to be plagued by them like this.

Looks to me as if the sponsors have paid GN a lot of money to place these wretched ads all over the place on here. As if anyone in their right mind is going to take any notice of them...

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:38:43

I feel I have missed out as I haven’t noticed it. Coffee Walnut with coffee walnut filling is my favourite.

Calendargirl Wed 29-Mar-23 12:28:08

Lovetopaint037

I feel I have missed out as I haven’t noticed it. Coffee Walnut with coffee walnut filling is my favourite.

You must be the only one on GN who has escaped then!

I should thank your lucky stars that you have been spared.

Witzend Wed 29-Mar-23 12:37:50

Callistemon21

Salti

I could just eat a piece of your cake Salti!

Yes, that’s the sort of cake I can always fancy! I only make one when we have guests, though - dh and I would be making regular 🐷🐷 of ourselves otherwise.

Patsy70 Wed 29-Mar-23 13:16:58

Salti I prefer yours too! 😋

Keeleklogger Wed 29-Mar-23 13:53:17

I prefer to make my own scones, they so much better cooked fresh than supermarket ones.

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Mar-23 14:24:59

Keeleklogger

I prefer to make my own scones, they so much better cooked fresh than supermarket ones.

I'm hopeless at making scones.

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Mar-23 14:25:20

Ps yours look lovely!