Gransnet forums

Chat

Believable dreams

(68 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 30-Mar-23 00:27:25

This is going to sound strange, but please bear with me? Do you ever have dreams which are untrue but very believable?

Yesterday morning I 'remembered' a time in the recent past when I took up smoking. I could picture the cigarettes in my bag (packs of 10, which I don't know if you can still buy?) and a gold lighter. I couldn't picture actually smoking one, or remember giving up, but I was absolutely certain that I had been a regular but temporary smoker in the past couple of years or so.

I have asthma, which has relapsed badly of late - there is no chance that I would take up smoking. Not only that, but I hardly left the house during Covid, and am not exactly painting the town red now, so where I would have gone to smoke them is a mystery.

I assume I dreamt about it, but I don't remember the dream, and it was later in the morning that the 'memory' came to me.

Has anyone else had an experience like that? It was most odd.

MayBee70 Sun 02-Apr-23 17:59:58

I used to have dreams about houses with rooms. Often rooms that needed work doing on them. Sometimes rooms that were a bit sinister. And often used to have dreams that I knew was a recurring one but couldn’t remember what actually happened in it, just that I was left with the feeling of knowing it was ‘that dream again’.

Doodledog Sun 02-Apr-23 18:03:26

I think the dream that LadyGaGa describes is the closest to mine. It is less the dream (I do sometimes get vivid dreams) than the uncertainty about whether it was real or not that is troubling.

Cs783 Sun 02-Apr-23 18:11:59

SachaMac what a lovely comforting dream.

Azalea99 Sun 02-Apr-23 18:54:59

Bodach I have that dream, too! Another is that we’re driving home from dinner at in-laws & OH says he’s too tired to carry on driving to our place so instead we’ll just pop into our previous home & spend the night there as he still has the keys! For some reason the kitchen had bright lilac gauze curtains. I was scared stiff but we got away with it & even went out to check on the garden before leaving. And btw our current house is only about 2 miles from the previous one.

Sara1954 Sun 02-Apr-23 19:12:33

I often dream themed dreams, moving home, unable to find loos, losing children.
But one that blurs dream and reality is that I’ve dreamt up an entire day out kind of theme park/farm park.
It’s very specific, the sign as you arrive is always there, it’s on a bend, half the activities are one side, and then you cross a small river by bridge to get to the other side.
I dream frequently about taking the children there, in my dream it’s convenient and we like it there.
Whenever I drive into it, it feels familiar, and I’m happy to be there, I often wake up thinking it’s real.

JPB123 Sun 02-Apr-23 20:48:13

Oh I have very vivid dreams and they stay with me through the day.

Grannyshouse Sun 02-Apr-23 22:48:48

Me too. I have to fight hard to stay in the air. Not had that dream for a while though x

Longdistancegrnny Sun 02-Apr-23 23:00:18

I used to remember quite vivid dreams but have not done so for a while now - until earlier in the week - I dreamt that I was in a room with 3 of my grandchildren and an unknown man began abusing the 5 year old girl, I was powerless to stop him and when I tried to scream only a tiny sound came out, and when I tried to grab him he threatened me with a pair of sharp scissors. Thank goodness DH woke me at that point as he thought I was crying in pain! This nightmare has stayed with me all week, but I decided against telling DD about it.

Bodach Sun 02-Apr-23 23:11:09

Dear Azalea99 and Grannyshouse
Perhaps we could form a dreamland version of the Red Arrows, and float around in close formation, trailing streams of coloured smoke?

On second thoughts: let's not do the streams of smoke bit...

Grandma2213 Mon 03-Apr-23 02:25:54

I am another one who dreams constantly and on every subject usually related to something I have seen, heard or thought the previous day. However the other night I dreamt that I was at the local C of E Secondary School that my children attended and where I worked for a while. The Pope was visiting on the school field and I heard a gun shot. Children (mostly boys) were running back through the corridors totally traumatised. It turned out somebody else was shot not the Pope. I have no idea what the origin of this dream was though I was a little shocked today to hear he had been in hospital with bronchitis. Apparently he is back on duty for Easter but is still quite weak. (I am not Catholic or even religious by the way).

jocork Mon 03-Apr-23 02:34:40

Some dreams seem so real that when you wake up you wish you hadn't as what was happening in the dream is something you would like to happen. I used to wonder if they were like premonitions when I was younger but some of the 'longed for' events never actually happened. I don't seem to have dreams like that nowadays so wonder if it's because I'm more content with my life.

The last time I had a very realistic dream it involved being back with my ex husband. That was quite disturbing as I'm pretty sure that wasn't wishful thinking!

dogsmother Mon 03-Apr-23 10:21:30

I’m often cross to leave my dreams when I wake up and miss out on what happens next. I also talk a lot in my sleep and have no idea what this all about.

crazyH Mon 03-Apr-23 10:26:19

I dreamt last night about my darling older brother, still missed after 30 years 😭

PinkCosmos Mon 03-Apr-23 11:11:45

I often dream that I am reading a book. It's a book that I don't know but it's very good and well written. I read pages and pages of it. I wish I could remember it when I wake up.

Also, I have a memory of going to view a house with my SIL and BIL. It was standing on its own in the middle of fields in the countryside. It was empty and Tudor in style. This would have been 25 years ago. To this day, I don't know whether it actually happened of whether it was a dream.

I can't sleep in a very dark room as I wake up in a panic having dreamt I was either locked in a small dark cave or in a four poster bed with the top coming slowly down on me. Very claustrophobic.

Daddima Mon 03-Apr-23 11:27:55

I’ve only recently started having dreams about ‘real’ stuff, whereas before they were always things like being in a boxing match with Shirley Bassey, who then changed into Donald Trump. Now I dream of more ordinary things, and sometimes I don’t know if things really happened, or if I dreamt them, so I know what Doodledog means.
I blame the Covids.

Suzique Mon 03-Apr-23 13:42:59

I had a dream where over a few weeks I learnt to ride a bicycle to work and back, but just doing a short part of the journey first, then the next day more etc. Getting to the start of the bike ride by car.
When I woke up I was convinced I had done it! But living in London, I would not have the confidence, let alone having not ridden a bicycle since my teens!

bikergran Tue 04-Apr-23 08:21:03

Just for interest for those who think they talk in their sleep, you can use a recording app that records your sleep and sounds. I tried it few times and heard myself muttering through the night, but nothing exciting lol.

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Apr-23 15:10:49

I dream and talk in my sleep as does my grandson.
I keep having the same dream about losing my handbag,and i actually wake up looking for it.
Life is very strange.

Etoile2701 Tue 30-Jan-24 13:08:27

I often dream that I am smoking (which I gave up many years ago) or driving (ditto). Both very vivid. There is no way I would take up doing either again.

Esmay Tue 30-Jan-24 13:25:02

I'm a vivid dreamer .

I often feel quite unnerved by them .
I often dream that people , who have long passed tell me that they've always been with me and never left .

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 13:59:20

I know this is an old thread but it's interesting anyway.
I can't remember dreams I've had - I must dream but they are gone.

My husband dreams all the time - waking me up battling with lions, rescuing people from burning houses, pulling children out of dangerous buildings, holding up the roof so we don't all get crushed, preventing a stampede of rhinos - and more "usual" things - school fêtes, car near-misses (not that that is really "usual"), enormous fancy cakes that need transporting...
Mostly his dreams are life-and-death rescues though it seems to me

He shouts and gasps and lunges and kicks but the roars and shouts are tiny and squeaky 🤣 There are quite a lot of lions!

I love that his dreams wake me and I get to share this strange world with him. The children often ask "any good dreams recently"... 😂

He is regularly a struggling hero. Saving his family, his community, our friends... He is always my hero anyway. ❤️

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 30-Jan-24 13:59:40

Having moved years ago away from my home county, I'd wake up from a dream of moving back and be engulfed in longing. It was dreadfully unsettling and the sadness lasted days. Five years we 'came home' and for the first months I would wake in a panic that the move back was still a dream! I think all of the UK is beautiful but wouldn't ever want to live away from 'my' hills, rivers and countryside ever again. So I suppose I can say my dreams came true!

Franbern Tue 30-Jan-24 18:18:31

When I was in the process of moving, selling my house in London and moving to a flat, 150 miles away in smalltown, I had a dream one night - very real, In that I made that move, lots of detail about it, then went to bed and woke in the morning, knowing I had made a dreadful mistake, When I really woke, all I could think about was should I take this as a warning. Fortunately I did not, and when I finally made that move a few months later, I was happy with it from the first night.

Am remembering my dreams far more these days, than I used to. I woke up sobbing, a couple of mornings ago - I had been dreaming of an accident that had happened to one of my twin baby daughters 48 years ago.

V3ra Tue 30-Jan-24 19:53:29

NotSpaghetti your poor hero of a husband must wake up exhausted 😳😴

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 22:09:46

Ha ha! Yes, sometimes V3ra - but we both have a laugh and go off to sleep again. Neither of us struggle to sleep, fortunately- but he's obviously much busier than I am at night.

I am so blessed to have him - dreams and all.