Gransnet forums

Chat

"Bunking off" school as a child.

(92 Posts)
biglouis Fri 31-Mar-23 03:09:41

Did you ever do this? Did you get caught?

When I got to age 14 (going on 15) I used to bunk off about every couple of months.

The system was that you went into your “own” class for registration morning and afternoon. Then you went off to whatever class you were timetabled for. It was assumed that you would then go where you were supposed to go. Even if s/he noted your absence the teacher of that class would take it for granted that as registration had occurred any absences were noted and dealt with. With the corridors filled with kids on the move to their respective classes it was easy to hide in the toilet and then sneak out as soon as it was quiet.

We only ever bunked off in the afternoons. Two of us had working mothers, so we took it in turns to go to one another’s houses. Occasionally we got the bus into the city and walked around the shops. Only once were we ever challenged by a nosy sales assistant as to why we were not in school. We told her that we had been sent to purchase supplies for our final year sewing project and of course we were believed. We were both top of our class in several subjects and knew that we were not going to fail our GCE. We planned our absences carefully so as to fly under the radar.

As soon as the GCE results came out there seemed very little point in going into school so we bunked off even more. There were no smart phones or email back in the late 1950s/1960s for the school or our parents to keep track of us. So we mainly got off with it.

biglouis Sat 01-Apr-23 10:28:44

Very surprised at the apparently high moral tone some folks on this thread have taken. Equating what teenagers do with being idle or cheating their employer at a later stage in life. Testing the boundaries from time to time is something that children - especially teenagers - will often do. Its a normal part of growing up.

There are far worse things that teens can do now than bunking off school for the occasional half day. Such as refusing scholl alltogether, getting involved with gangs, petty shoplifting or even county lines

Daisymae Sat 01-Apr-23 11:01:24

No, never at school. Went swimming one afternoon with a friend from college and met a boy I knew at the pool. I think that we were supposed to be be doing a community thingy. We three laughed and talked the afternoon away. The pool was deserted. More than half a century ago 😃.

GagaJo Sat 01-Apr-23 11:09:05

I agree biglouis, and I speak as a teacher. Some of the most rebellious students go on to do great things in later life. Because they're risk takers and don't accept the status quo. Doesn't for a second mean they're under achievers or unintelligent. And some of the most rule following, obedient children, settle into lives of under achievement because they're not willing to take risks. I've seen it time and time again.

Bellanonna Sat 01-Apr-23 11:31:40

My friend Maisie and I decided to “run away from school” and have an adventure, the school gates were always open and we waited until everyone had gone in from the lunchtime/dinner break and set off for some fun. The school caretaker was sitting on a seat in the playground smoking his pipe. We told him what we were doing and he replied that he hadn’t seen us.

We walked half a mile or so to the station and asked for tickets to London, only to be told that tickets had to be paid for. We then felt at a loose end and decided we’d go back to school.

We were 8 years old and “safeguarding” hadn’t been invented. We slipped back into school and hid in the cloakroom till the bell went for the next lesson. Nobody had missed us.

At secondary school I did try to get out of gym activities as I didn’t like vaulting over the “horse”, hanging from the bars or climbing ropes.

How I love modern gyms. Wish ours had been like that!

Joseanne Sat 01-Apr-23 13:40:57

I think the question whether we continued to bunk off work in our adulthood is an interesting one, because maybe, "once a bunker always a bunker!" I don't mind being asked about it. My take on that was that once I was at work other people were relying on my being there, I would be letting the side down, unlike at school where the only person losing out was me. I was extra conscientious at work, but I do know ALL my children bunked off school too, so maybe it is in the blood. (One is now in charge of 50+ engineers in his office. Works day and night, despite missing from school a few times!)

vampirequeen Sat 01-Apr-23 16:28:25

Never. My mam would have killed me if she'd found out. It really wasn't worth the risk.

Charleygirl5 Sat 01-Apr-23 17:04:30

It never entered my head and if caught I would have been punished at school, in Scotland, so a leather strap and if either parent found out I would not have been able to sit down for a couple of days. I was a good girl at school.

Primrose53 Sat 01-Apr-23 20:07:27

Marydoll

When I was in sixth year we went into town on a free period.
Someone had seen us and phoned the school, not because we weren't in school, but because we weren't wearing our hats!

OMG That happened to me too! We had taken off our school berets. To make it even worse I was with a girl whose Dad was a school governor AND we were seen eating chips!!!

Casdon Sat 01-Apr-23 20:19:42

We called it mitching off. I didn’t in lower school, but in sixth form I did, we didn’t have to wear uniform on Fridays and we went to the pub at lunchtime.. different times, I bet teenagers today would never get away with it. I also learned to play bridge in free periods, and we ran tournaments which didn’t always finish before lessons started - more than once our teachers came and dragged us into class.

Chardy Sat 01-Apr-23 21:44:58

Was in 6th form in school. We had PE one afternoon a week. The local cinema took a lot of our money for those 2 years.

bikergran Sun 02-Apr-23 20:28:17

Oh yes and loved every minute of it smile I used to go in morning just late enough for the register to be placed in the foyer, put my attend! mark in , then off on my jollies back out the doors and out,same in afternoons.

My friend then started to do it, we got away with it for almost 3 weeks, it was our last year.

Anyway we were asked to "leave" hmm. so leave we did.

I got blamed as ringleader off my friends parents huh!

Also we would sneak off to my house during cross country and have a jam but.

I never regretted any of it. it felt like Freeeeeeedom

glammagran Sun 02-Apr-23 20:41:47

I never bunked off school but my sister at a different school did quite regularly.

SuzieHi Sun 02-Apr-23 21:02:31

Yep! Friend & I never went to PE from age 14 onwards - straight over the road to have a fag or two! Didn’t really fancy getting changed & the communal showers.
Only got asked where had I been when report writing time came round. Told the truth! No one followed up? Guess PE teacher thought she’d be reprimanded if caught out. Did get told off by headteacher for going to the local pub at lunchtime aged 16 - with others, not alone. Grammar school.
1972- 6th form common room full of smokers, grass included & occasional LSD. I didn’t do that as parents would have been so disappointed. Obviously for me a step too far that would damage their reputation & careers
Passed all GCSE’s & A levels… didn’t affect me
Just for the record I was a strict mum & my daughters didn’t do much wrong or didn’t get caught either

SuzieHi Sun 02-Apr-23 21:03:35

GCE’s in my day not GCSE’s !

HurdyGurdy Sun 02-Apr-23 21:37:23

At about 14 years old, when we did PE, we had a choice of what we could do. My friend and I always chose cross country. We were the only two who did.

We followed the course, which just happened to go past my friend's house, so we'd pop in, have a cup of tea and a peanut butter sandwich, and make our way back to school again.

We never ran a step once we were out of school's view, needless to say.

And isn't that a sign of the times - no school would let their pupils off the premises "for a run" these days.

Grandma2213 Mon 03-Apr-23 03:38:59

I never bunked off not did anyone else that I know of. School for me was a haven from home. I did however bunk off from home where I was badly treated. I would take my time at the end of the day by hanging round the school or in the town pretending I had extra classes or work to do. This happened especially in 6th form when we were allowed to stay off for revision. I used to go into school and spend the day in the sixth form room on my own to escape being used to do all the housework or cooking and generally being hit or shouted at.