Gransnet forums

Chat

Names you might have chosen

(118 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 18-May-23 05:52:59

If you had children /more children, what names would you use today?
We have a pussy cat called Freja , love that name but we didn't have enough children to use it. I also like many of the Celtic names like Lachlan.

IamMaz Thu 18-May-23 12:20:07

We had several pretty girls names sorted - so I was bound to have a boy, wasn’t I?
This was 1992. I loved the name Danielle - after a girl in junior school who had glossy, dark, auburn long hair! I was very envious of her.
We only had one name sorted for a boy - Christopher.

paddyann54 Thu 18-May-23 12:34:35

We called our daughter after a friend who was both beautiful and talented ,my mother hated the name and called baby by her middle name for months until she realised it was none of her business what we called our child .
Our son was named after his great grandfathers it was agreed between my OH's granny and me years before he was conceived that if I had a boy we'd call him after her late husband .My OH loved his grandpa so was happy with it and the other name which we never used was the name of two GGF's .The name we used was often remarked on as being old fashioned but its not really here in Scotland its traditional thoughand it suits him to a t

NanaDana Thu 18-May-23 12:54:59

I'm descended from a long line of Irish Catholic blacksmiths, who fled here during the potato famine, and first set up shop in Southampton. My DH has similar roots, and has a Scots/Irish surname. When our children were born in the early to mid seventies, although we would have liked to give them Celtic Christian names, their birth years coincided with some of the worst terrorist atrocities in Northern Ireland, so we decided against it. Sad really, as we really liked some of the names we originally chose. So our Son and two Daughters ended up with second choice names. We've told them since, and two of them were quite disappointed, as they preferred our original choices. They could see why we'd done it, though. Those were bad times for everyone involved, and there were no winners. Such a tragic waste.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 18-May-23 13:00:49

GSM - snap- only it wasn't to be ( see earlier post as to why !)

TerriBull Thu 18-May-23 13:21:32

I had my son's first name earmarked for a girl, which ends in dra instead of der, and invariably the same diminutive is used for male and female. No 2 choice, still hoping for a girl, Catherine, it was my maternal grandmother's name, one of my mother's names and one of my names. I did also want Domenico for a boy, which was my paternal grandfather's name, maybe as a middle name, but once you do one side of the family, I think you're kind of obliged to do the honours for the other side, but decided against it on that basis, but I regret not going with Domenic now which my husband was very agreeable to, in fact he mooted it. I also had Sebastian lined up for number 2, which my husband flatly refused to consider, said it sounded foppish, remembering Sebastian Flyte from Brideshead Revisited, not foppish in Europe though was my response!, anyway slipped it in as a middle name, not that number 2 is at all grateful for my inspired choice sad I don't think he hates it though.

dogsmother Thu 18-May-23 13:36:40

I have some beautiful ( I think ) aunts names that I’d love to see come through again. Iris, Clarice, Maud, Esmee, Myrtle.

Aldom Thu 18-May-23 13:41:55

Germanshepherdsmum

I’m still pleased with the names chosen for my son. If I had had a daughter her first name would have been Felicity.

My father always called me Fellicity, although it isn't my name. smile

Aldom Thu 18-May-23 13:42:42

Ooops. Felicity.

HeavenLeigh Thu 18-May-23 13:43:18

Boys names, Nate. jesse. Girls names Tori, Audrey

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 18-May-23 13:53:21

Because you gave him happiness Aldom!
For the second name I wanted Carenza. Didn’t get as far as a third (my son has three).

nanna8 Thu 18-May-23 13:55:20

Funny how we associate certain names with certain people, too. When I was expecting my first we had a name picked out for a boy. Thank goodness he was a she because the name we had chosen is now associated with a dishonest politician around in the 1960 s and 80 s.

nanna8 Thu 18-May-23 13:56:27

1970s and 80s

biglouis Thu 18-May-23 13:59:47

My computers are called Suleiman, Imran, Vader and Neelix.

They need names because they are part of a network.

Ktsmum Fri 19-May-23 11:57:26

Bridie, I always loved it, and strangely enough my daughter said she loves it too, so maybe for a granddaughter?

RakshaMK Fri 19-May-23 12:32:38

If my 3rd sin had been a daughter, we like Anya Eileen, after my favourite book character and my adopted Mum.
My first son is David Andrew (after the chap who introduced me to his Dad, and his Dad's second name)
The 2nd one is Scott Philip, after his Dad's hero Scott Crossfield, and Phillip meaning 'lover of horses' to acknowledge my love.
#3 is Gareth Jack, for my Welsh heritage and his paternal grandfather.

Summerfly Fri 19-May-23 12:37:28

GLAMMANANNA, that has made me laugh so much 🤣🤣🤣

Moggycuddler Fri 19-May-23 12:38:47

Can't possibly imagine my lovely daughter having any other name than what we gave her! But now and then I see a name in a book etc and think "that would be a fab name". I like the name Dale, for a boy or a girl.

Twopence Fri 19-May-23 12:52:53

We would have chosen Elisabeth Mary and Keith David if things had gone according to plan.

Sawsage2 Fri 19-May-23 12:54:48

My name was Hazel but at my christening my gran said to mum 'she'll be called 'Hazelnut' at school'

HillyN Fri 19-May-23 12:59:57

When my daughter was choosing names for my grandson, she couldn't decide between George and another traditional name and asked my opinion. I said, jokingly, "If you call him George you could buy his clothes at Asda and won't need name tapes when he starts school!" She decided to give him the other name. grin

Salti Fri 19-May-23 13:07:55

My favourite girl's name has always been Charlotte, shortened to Charlie if that is a better fit. I never had a daughter but one day I was chatting with a pregnant workmates who had a few ideas for names for her child. She asked which names I liked and I said Charlotte. A few months later she had a daughter, who she named Charlotte.

Auntieflo Fri 19-May-23 13:13:05

Grandmabatty. We were like you with our daughter. She was going to be Nicola , but when she was born, she didn't look like a Nicola, so we changed our minds. Her daughter now had that name.

homefarm Fri 19-May-23 13:15:35

I wanted to call my daughter Alexandra but my husband registered her as Zoe before I came out of hospital. She hates it and has always insisted on Nic. In fact she changed her name by deed poll

annsixty Fri 19-May-23 13:19:22

My GD is Charlotte, never ever shortened, her brother is James again never shortened.
My D also won’t allow her name shortened, I won’t give it as it it unusual and with the other two names would be identifiable.
I will just say it is biblical.

downtoearth Fri 19-May-23 13:27:19

Toyed with the idea for my 3rd child
Richard
David
Stuart
And Nicholas/ Nicola = Nikki

Lisa
Hayley
Alison
Eleanor

HE didnt get called any of them.

First two girls ,names chosen and stuck with them,couldnt think of any boys names I liked.