Gransnet forums

Chat

Coachbuilt prams

(86 Posts)
Beechnut Fri 19-May-23 17:27:03

I’ve just been browsing these prams. Does anyone have one or know someone who uses one?

Hetty58 Mon 22-May-23 18:29:16

and constantly disturbed by being moved here, there and everywhere!

Grammaretto Mon 22-May-23 18:29:16

DD has always bought 2nd hand and has tried many kinds of buggy/ twin buggy etc. Mama and Papas was one make.

She has passed them all on now. She never wanted my coachbuilt Silver Cross

maddyone Mon 22-May-23 18:29:46

I had a Silver Cross pram. I’m not sure if it was coach built. It had a hard body, but was flat bottomed and could be lifted off the chassis and put in the car, but it was a bit of a faff. I loved pushing it with my babies in it. It was dark green, beautiful.

Grandyma Mon 22-May-23 18:30:23

Just found these online

Calipso Mon 22-May-23 18:35:24

Grandyma

Just found these online

Beautiful! It's a Millson Sunningdale and the Queen requested that it was made with same size wheels, more usually seen on twin prams for stability. She apparently wasn't in favour of the 'penny farthing' style wheels.

lemsip Mon 22-May-23 19:41:12

I had a Manton coachbuilt pram it had large wheels and was
cream with dark green hood and apron, that was in 1968, I spotted it in a shop window reduced to £27. I loved it, so smart

Shizam Mon 22-May-23 19:46:22

My mum back in the day had a silver cross pram for us all.
It was later left in a shed. Imagine my surprise when our allegedly male young cat greeted me with kittens in that pram. Our cat was ahead of its time!

Grandmama Mon 22-May-23 19:50:30

Our pram was third hand (£12 I think), 40+ years ago. Not coach built but substantial, it had mudguards, was sprung, basket underneath and absolutely weatherproof. We had a child seat for DD1 when DD2 came along.

It's in the loft now, the wheels need new treads.

In the winter in town I saw a young couple with a white coach built pram, it was beautiful. Someone on my antenatal class had a coach built pram.

Tamayra Mon 22-May-23 20:49:00

I had a beautiful twin Silver Cross pram
Babies loved it One each end
When they got bigger they started kicking one another we changed to a twin pushchair I was young 20yrs & strong pushed it for miles laden with shopping or laundrette washing
In those days we would leave the pram with babies in outside the shops
And babes would nap in the pram in the front garden. You never see that nowadays We were much more trusting

singingnutty Mon 22-May-23 23:23:51

Yes, I remember leaving the pram with the baby in outside the supermarket because it was too big to take in. I had a second hand Silver Cross pram which served both babies, but was quite large to fit into the hall of a very small semi! I had a friend who used a buggy and remember thinking that that couldn't be very good for the baby's back. However, it did fit into their car which ours didn't - we had a VW Beetle. I can't remember how we managed when we went out in the car when we got to our destination but on the journey the baby lay in the space behind the back seat, which on reflection was not very safe! When the second child came along we got a seat which fitted across the pram. Some years ago we stayed in Largs with friends and were very interested to see that big Silver Cross type prams were still very popular there, long after they had disappeared from our English streets.