Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 24th May 2023

(39 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 24-May-23 05:50:57

Good Morning Everyone,
Its bright and sunny this morning in brackley already this morning.
Yesterday a slight miss apt on the bus going into Bicester yesterday on the bus, we was just turning down the main road into the town, on a roundabout and a car took us on the inside scrapping the bus , but he realised what he done ,because the driver pulled into the first stop to look asking if anyone had took the car number details , but the car driver turned up and himself and the bus driver exchanged details before we continued .
I also heard on the Monday just gone they had a fire at Bicester Village designer outlet , causing shops staff etc to come into the town centre and taking available space in cafes etc whilst there.
Today will do my usual routine of housework plus going on the bus to Bicester and hopefully relax after .
Take Care,
Mick

Borrheid55 Wed 24-May-23 11:29:48

Granmattie sorry to hear about your Menieres diagnosis. I was diagnosed with it in 1990 only to be told last year that I didn’t have it! Been on daily medication for 33 years that I didn’t need. I now have a precise diagnosis of ( deep breath ) - Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction . I really hope your ENT appointment is thorough. I had all sorts of tests with an audiologist last year. Good luck!

Ziplok Wed 24-May-23 11:01:54

Good morning,
Had a busy morning ironing all the washing from our holiday. All done now and put away, so time for coffee. DH has just made a batch of scones so I think we might have to sample one, just to make sure 😂.
We had a lovely holiday, but the garden took on quite a growth spurt whilst we were away so needed attention. It looks better now, I’m pleased to report. This lovely warm weather helps, of course.
Lovely photos of the flamingoes, Gwenisgreat1. We saw some whilst on holiday, but they were being rather shy and remained huddled together behind a bush. We caught a glimpse of them, but they weren’t really coming out to play. Glad you had better luck 😁.
That looks a lovely, peaceful spot, Greyduster.
Well ☕️ and scones beckon.

Baggs Wed 24-May-23 10:25:10

Morning all from a ⛅️⛅️ Boggy Brae. Quite chilly this morning when I went out at ten to seven.

Yesterday I found a whole new spread of Northern Marsh Orchids so I've marked the area with sticks and some stones. I might intend to mow round it this morning.

Swim this afternoon. The hand attached to the smashed wrist is getting stronger every day so I might manage more lengths than last week.

Good day wishes to all 🌱

Anniebach Wed 24-May-23 10:05:05

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Auntieflo Wed 24-May-23 10:03:37

Good morning Mick, Annie and all. Lovely upbeat posts mostly this morning. What a lovely way to start the day.
I have been trying, in our small town, to buy a plain white tee shirt, like many others. The thing just doesn't exist here, and our shops are getting fewer. After mooching around and a reviving coffee, I popped into the charity shop, where I volunteered for many years, and lo and behold I found 2 tee shirts. Admittedly not plain white, but at least they didn't have slogans, stars or glitter.
Later I had a phone call from the volunteer drivers desk, to say that the allocated driver for next week had been changed. I had to ask, as he has a low slung sports car, and I can't manage those any more. Shame!

GrandMattie you sound as though you are settling in nicely.
You made me laugh Marydoll with your driving escapades and CT scan 'helpers'.
My sunflower seedings are growing apace, but I am loathe to plant them in the garden just yet, as the slugs/ snails would just chomp them in no time.
Thinking of all the poorly ones and those in need of a bit of TLC. Have a good day one and all.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-May-23 10:01:49

Good morning from another sunny day near Llandeilo, we had a good day in Tenby yesterday, beautiful weather.
Off to the Mumbles later.
MrOops has chosen a beautiful area for our holiday cottage, but it might be a bit too far from the M4 for us to move to.
We will see what the scenery is like ‘down there’ today.
Hope everyone has a good day.

BlueSapphire Wed 24-May-23 09:34:23

Good morning everyone from another bright and sunny 🌞 day in Northampton. The washing is in the machine including the t-shirt I managed to throw red wine all over recently. It has been soaking in cold water and stain remover, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

A good health walk yesterday then cut the front grass, and attacked the weeds on the drive; then an hour in the sun with my book.

Well-being cafe this afternoon, but first to make a tomato, pepper and lentil soup in the pressure cooker. Found the recipe in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago, sounds.really good. Should make some good lunches.

Have a happy Tuesday in the sun 🌞🌞🌞!

luluaugust Wed 24-May-23 09:28:49

Good morning from a sunny W Kent. Lovely chat to DD1 last night who says er figure is now similar to one of my aunts!! discussed where she could go in Edinburgh for a dress for a friend’s wedding.
Off to meet friend I haven’t seen for a while and then DH and I hope to go to a local garden whilst the sun is shining.
Take care everyone

hollysteers Wed 24-May-23 09:18:36

Good morning Mick and all from a mixed up northwest coast. Sun then cloud etc, But I’ve had a couple of good drying washing in the garden days.
Good time at the music club yesterday with one regular celebrating her 94th birthday. I coincidentally took some string lights to drape round the music stand.

I overate last night and woke up with the worst heartburn I have ever had (hiatus hernia) burning violent coughing for what seemed an age. Gaviscon taken etc, but a horrible night. Have put off my usual lunchtime recital today, but my friend with macular degeneration is due tonight for a meal here and overnight stay. Don’t feel I can put him off as he’s v depressed and looking forward to it. Will just rest today.

Thoughts to all with worries and will read through later.

aggie Wed 24-May-23 09:01:45

Good Morning from a slightly overcast Co Armagh, it’s only 8 degrees here
Did a lot of sorting in the greenhouse yesterday , I’m itching to plant out the tomatoes , they are strong but tiny .I seem to have managed to get 3 cucumbers to grow too
Club this morning, I must take my decaf coffee , I need the taste if not the kick 🙄
A friend has had bad news about her eldest , I’ll light a candle for her and add it to the several on the go for poorly grands and daughters

EkwaNimitee Wed 24-May-23 08:51:34

Good morning Mick and everyone from bright but cloudy Carlisle. Looks like there could be a shower or two.

I got to the station yesterday lunchtime to find my train had been cancelled at short notice-no staff available. Fortunately there was another due less than an hour later which proved to be one of the faster ones with fewer stops. A taxi got me from the station to arrive just in time for my appointment with the physio.
It was a very slow trip back to the station, an horrendous amount of cars as it was now rush hour. Before my first trip over here, I had thought I would drive over the next times after I'd familiarised myself with the roads but now I think not! When it's not rush hour, there's too much fast traffic and lane changes for my aging brain to cope with in the city itself. The train ride is very pleasant with pretty scenery to look at.
Today, catch up with housework and planting out in the garden plus some pesky essential admin.

Wishing you all the best of days....

hulahoop Wed 24-May-23 08:47:36

Good morning from a bright West York's. Washer on forgot we were going to jet wash patio 🙄.Everyone sounds busy, we have school pickup this afternoon ,think I will go and look for some sandals this morning.
Have a good day .

harrigran Wed 24-May-23 08:38:30

Good morning from another sunny day in the NE.
Sister stayed several hours and we had a good chat. She brought me some gifts including a rucksack which she thought would be good for holidays.
I need to get the washer going and decide what I am going to need for my Scottish holiday this weekend.
Have a good day.

kittylester Wed 24-May-23 08:15:53

Good morning all from a sunny North Leicestershire.

DH is off to the gym first thing then we are going to the garden centre and the papershop/post office in another village.

Tea and cake with a friend at a new coffee shop where we had to make an appointment!

Have a good day all.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 24-May-23 08:13:30

Good morning all from sunny Harrogate
We got home safely on Monday, with my sister who leaves today. In fact we will probably go to the station at the same time, she will be leaving for Sutton and we will be going to York - I have an appointment at York District Hospital this afternoon.
You seem to have landed on your feet since your move GrandMattie. Glad it’s all going well for you.
Packing for tomorrow must be quite wearisome for you Ashcombe at least you will be leaving your coughs behind!
The photos are of the river rushing past our cottage. Flamingos at Birdland and the miniature village.
Have the best day possible folks

NannyJan53 Wed 24-May-23 08:13:17

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

Took Mum for a short Walking for Health walk at the park near where she lives yesterday morning. Didn't find people particularly friendly though, so I doubt she will go again.

We then went to a local hotel for information regarding menu's for a meal for about 18 of us for my 70th in September. The menu's were good but they charge £425 for using the room!! So it looks like a local gastro pub, where they don't charge. A shame really.

No real plans today. Gas Engineer coming to service boiler, then gym.

I think I am moving to Bristol gM with a medical practice service like that smile How lucky you are WWM to live in such a lovely area, with so many scenic walks.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

Taichinan Wed 24-May-23 08:08:41

Good morning all from the Angus coast where cloud and sunshine compete. It's lovely to see the sun though!
Cornwall sounds idyllic, Whitewave - isn't it wonderful when you get perfect weather on holiday.
Mick that must have been quite scary, that contretemp between your bus and the car! But no real harm done thank goodness.
Enjoy your trip home Ash with all your home comforts safely packed 😉
And I agree with you greyduster, that house is in a glorious position.
We had a particularly good tai chi class yesterday - lots of discussion and laughs which I love. Afterwards I did lots of walking between shops and the bank in the high street, and then down to Tesco for more basic shopping - I was absolutely shattered when I got home! It was nearly bedtime before I got my mojo back.
The thing I really love about this time of year - and thing I've really been missing with all the rain, fog and cloud we've had - is the glorious nights when it doesn't get dark. It was one such last night and there was no need for lights on as I went up to bed about 11pm. I have panoramic views from the bedroom, and the sky and hills were beautiful. Needless to say, I don't close the curtains!
DD called yesterday to ask if I wanted a ticket for the show Dancing GD is in in Glasgow in the summer. Daft question! So that's something good to look forward to.
Have a great day everyone and enjoy the sunshine x

Grandmabatty Wed 24-May-23 08:06:37

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 10° and gloriously sunny. It makes everything feel better when the sun shines. Grandmattie it'll be lovely for you to see your son. Ash safe journey back. Grey duster lovely photos. Grannygravy that doesn't sound good. I hope it's not too expensive.
Yesterday started early as both boys were awake when I arrived at dd's house. Dgs1 was sitting at the side of his bed waiting for Grandma to get him. Wee sweetheart. Dgs2 was awake as he has a bad cold and is teething so he wasn't a happy boy but valiantly tried to play. His wee heart wasn't in it though. After I dropped them off, I went to M and S to pick up undies I had ordered. To my horror, when I read the text message, it said to bring a bag as they're cutting down their use of plastic. I had visions of my not inconsiderable sized undies appearing in full view. I was frantically wondering how to manage the embarrassment, particularly as a former pupil was next in the queue, when out pops the assistant with them in a nice green marks bag. Phew.
Today I have a chiropodist appointment then I'm visiting my friend's partner with a gift. It's his birthday on Friday and, although I don't suppose he'll feel like celebrating, it's a big birthday so a gift is required. He likes jigsaws so I bought a couple of them for him.
Later I will potter in the garden and then a quick visit to mum. Have a good day all

ginny Wed 24-May-23 08:01:41

DGS is 20 not 30 !

ginny Wed 24-May-23 08:01:05

Blue sky over N. Bucks and a Good Morning to you all.
A few jobs to do first this morning and then I am meeting my eldest DGS for lunch. It’s lovely that at 30 years old he is happy to spend time with me. I suspect a free lunch helpssmile.
Later I must think at packing for holiday next week.
Hope fully fit in some sketching for a challenge this evening..
Wishing you all a pleasant day .

Marydoll Wed 24-May-23 08:00:54

Good morning all from a breezy day here in Glasgow, where its 11°C.

You sound so much more upbeat, GM.

Yesterday's hospital visit was surprisingly hassle free, however, there were a few hiccups on the road. In the two years, since I was last there, the whole landscape had changed, it was covered with brand new university, student accommodation buildings. I advised DH to turn tight, ( I know this area like the back of my hand 😉), we ended up in a Lidl car park, which for some bizarre reason, was full of about a hundred queuing students! 😂.
Amazingly, at the hospital there were lots of empty, disabled parking bays, overlooking the whole of Glasgow. The views were stunning.

The scan was much more detailed than normal, it's usually my hip and lower back. This one was also to scan my whole spine, checking my unhealed spinal fractures, which are held together with bone cement. I was most impressed at the thoroughness of it all..

We had a good laugh, when the radiographer asked if I had on an underwired bra. Normally the scan wouldn't go that far up, but the bra had to come off. I have difficulty dressing at the best of times, but a stiff and painful shoulder has made it nigh on impossible.
So......one of the radiographers had her hand up my back, trying to unhook it, while the other was trying to manoeuvre my dress. They were so sympathetic at my plight, but I couldn't stop laughing. I was more embarrassed by the sight of the tatty bra!
Sadly it reminded me of my mum, when trying to change her after an accident, she said tearfully, Have I come to this?.😪

I asked what had happened to the radiographer, who has been doing my scans for over thirty years. It was upsetting to hear that she retired, but had died soon after. I was quite tearful, because she had done my last one two years ago and was much younger than me.

I am going to try and get to Mass today, so lots of candles and prayers for those in need. I need some social interaction. 😉
That is if I can drive, my shoulder is giving me gip, after yesterday's manipulation and DH thumping it during the night! )

Wishing you all a pleasant day, whatever your plans and safe journey, Ash.

Wyllow3 Wed 24-May-23 07:50:54

Morning from a sunny S Yorks where I've been up since 6.45 as the time slot for my new Fridge freezer started at 7 but hasn't arrived yet.
Alien lump now disappeared and no pain, super surgeon, then twigged my back getting the old fridge freezer ready!

But gardener here today to tackle "lawn" and weed and have a few bedding plants to put in.

Was that Ladybower, Greyduster? Beautiful spot.

brook2704 Wed 24-May-23 07:46:48

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve a bit of cloud just now but the sun is due out later.
So good that your DS will be with you soon gMattie enjoy spending time together and good news about the surgery too
Lovely pictures greyduster, so serene, hope you get some fish next time!
I’ve a busy day ahead, we’ll be dropping DGD off at school and then I’m off to the gym - I’m not looking forward to it but I’ll be fine when I’m there…. and then I’m going across the road with my pal to Starbucks for coffee and a long sit down on the sofas!
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

Gingster Wed 24-May-23 07:38:56

Good morning all and it’s another bright one. ☀️.
Thanks for all your good wishes for DD! ❤️
I will take DGD to school and get back in time for Dh to have the car to go fishing. It does take time to get used to only having one car, but it’s really not worth having two!

I’ll go to Mass and then wander up to town to have a look around the market and maybe have my rings cut off 😢. They are inbedded into my finger so I think it’s sensible .

GM things are certainly looking up for you.👍. How wonderful to have your son with you..

Greyduster that house looks idyllic.

GG I hope the work goes ahead soon and sorts out the problems 🤞.

Ash safe and trouble-free journey back to Blighty 🙏.

Hoping you all have a gentle day. 🌸

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-May-23 07:31:47

Morning all from glorious Cornwall.

We have been so blessed with the weather. Yesterday we walked along the camel estuary at Rock towards Daymer Bay, then pootled across the ferry to have lunch at Steins. What fantastic service you get! They were so welcoming and thoughtful. The dog had been “swimmming” (he only paddles on tip toe) but was still pretty damp and we had opted to sit in the courtyard as the weather is so lovely but the slate was cold and he lay shivering. So the staff got him a big folded blanket to lay on and then another to cover him with! He lay in blissful warmth snoozing. The food was good as well😄.

Today I think it is a walk on the camel trail from wadebridge towards Padstow, then lunch at Trevone Bay.

Hope everyone continues on their merry way today.