Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassing moments

(78 Posts)
Poppyjo Wed 24-May-23 07:42:03

This morning I filled up my car at the local garage. As I went in to pay, a policeman was walking towards the door to leave. I said good morning and went to pay. I said to the cashier ā€œwow he can arrest me any timeā€. I turned to leave and nearly died. The policeman was standing right behind me! He did not arrest me šŸ˜†. I donā€™t think I ever moved so quickly!

Saxifrage Fri 26-May-23 11:50:08

Put on my rather nice clingy velvety dress the other morning and the belt that I wear with it, wondered why it wasn't looking as good as usual, luckily just as I was going out door discovered that my cosy long sleeved thermal vest that I haven't been able to find for weeks was all scrunched up around the waist and hips inside.

Caramme Fri 26-May-23 11:52:08

I was on a bus with my dtr, then aged about 2. Into a period of total silence my dtr asked, ā€˜Mummy, when I grow up will I have a hairy bottom too?ā€™ I can still feel the heat in my face from that one.
Then there was the day collecting my gā€™dtrs from school I turned round, looking to see where gā€™dtr 2 was hiding, and fell over gā€™dtr 1. Full length, faceplant. I was so mortified that I didnā€™t even realise that I had broken my wrist until later. To be fair though gā€™dtr 1 was even more embarrassed than I was.

NanaDana Fri 26-May-23 11:54:07

I'm thinking of approaching Netflix with a proposal to perhaps make a series out of my embarrassing moments. Maybe four or five seasons would do do it... but then again, I'm still clocking them up, so maybe leave it open...

sparkly1000 Fri 26-May-23 11:57:06

Every evening at dusk I take a bowl of food out for our local fox who waits about 15 yards away from me on the lawn.

ā€œHello there Dopeyā€ I called out, just then my neighbours head appeared over the fence ā€œOh hello thereā€ he replied.

Moggycuddler Fri 26-May-23 12:02:52

Did this very recently. I came out of the supermarket, walked up to what I thought was the taxi I'd ordered, opened the rear door, said "Hello" and threw my carrier bags full of groceries on to the back seat. Then I realised that it wasn't a taxi but some random car that was just parked there, waiting for someone.

JdotJ Fri 26-May-23 12:13:05

Many years ago waiting to pay in a long queue at Boots the Chemist my 3 yr daughter was holding my hand and gazing around when, in a very loud voice, she said "Mummy, you've got a bogey up your nose"!

BlueBelle Fri 26-May-23 12:22:26

I was at a centre parcs sitting in my given dressing gown with my feet in a jacuzzi a man going past put his arm round me and said ā€˜enjoy it darling ā€˜ I blushed a hundred shades of purple and he was gone later he found me out and profusely apologised saying he thought it was his wife

Dee1012 Fri 26-May-23 12:25:45

I was married to a police officer and shopping in town one day, saw him ahead of me.

I ran up behind him and said something very naughty and grabbed his bottom.
It wasn't my husband.....

4allweknow Fri 26-May-23 12:29:13

I was in a large department store and decided I'd use their loos. Walked in, into a cubicle and whilst in there I heard the main door opening and closing but no cubicle doors shutting, in fact nothing, only when coming out the cubicle did I discover why, I was in the Gents. 2 men at urinals and another coming in. Didn't stop to wash my hands, out the door and then into the ladies next door.

sarahcyn Fri 26-May-23 12:32:16

@Poppyjo
As the mum of the UKā€™s handsomest PC (well, in my view) I can assure you you made his day.

Sasta Fri 26-May-23 12:35:03

Weā€™d had birthday cake and sang happy birthday to a colleague one morning. We had the ā€˜investor in peopleā€™ organisation in for random interviews and Iā€™d been selected for interview just before lunch. I spoke with the person about our organisation for a full 45 minutes before seeing my reflection in the door as I said goodbye and left; I had a pointy shiny party hat on complete with trailing ribbons. Iā€™d completely forgotten it and couldnā€™t feel it as it was so light. The woman saw my face as I realised and we both laughed. How she kept serious through the interview I donā€™t know.

Scottiebear Fri 26-May-23 12:51:18

I walked back into a posh pub from the loo and joined a group of male and female friends sitting on pub comfy sofas. Stretched legs out and there inside my tights, right at the front of my lower leg, was the tampax (new) that I'd managed to drop whilst taking it out of wrapper. Wasnt about to contact intensive search, so I used another one. Pub lounge was brightly lit as it was lunchtime. Did my best to cross legs and manoeuvre it round back and up, but I'm sure I was getting some curious looks as I wriggled around.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-May-23 13:19:41

Unfortunately I have a habit of dozing off at inopportune moments. On this occasion I was in the aisle seat of a bus when I keeled over suddenly finding my head on some unknown gent's knees!!
Don't know who got the bigger shock!!

granmalala Fri 26-May-23 13:31:49

I always remember the story my mum told me of my grandmother who was a singer in the local church choir (back in the 50s). She was always a very smart dresser complete with hat of course - she stood up to Sing her solo, she had opened her coat and all my mum could see (and the rest of the congregation) was her floral cross over apron, she didnā€™t realise until she was finished singing and sat down, mum said the look of horror on her face, mum and dad were in stitches!!

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-May-23 14:16:45

NanaDana

I'm thinking of approaching Netflix with a proposal to perhaps make a series out of my embarrassing moments. Maybe four or five seasons would do do it... but then again, I'm still clocking them up, so maybe leave it open...

Me too. Iā€™ve done the odd shoes, the knickers falling out of jeans, using the wrong loo, chatting up a complete stranger, clothes tucked in knickers, leaping into the wrong car (twice in a week - the first young driver looked so terrified I bet heā€™s still having flashbacks). And so much more. Just yesterday I ended up in a Weightwatchers meeting instead of the community group one in the next room.

And my most embarrassing moment, in fact my three most embarrassing moments, were so mortifying Iā€™m never going to speak of them! grin

MrsNemo Fri 26-May-23 14:26:44

I too have had my moments, but they are just so, so embarassing that I am sitting here feeling hot and bothered just thinking of them. Alan Bennett said that his embarassing moments can still make him fidget and blush, although the people involved are long dead now. I know exactly how he felt. However, those who have been kind and brave enough to share - you have certainly made me laugh this afternoon!

Lulubelle Fri 26-May-23 14:31:55

At 18 I went with a fairly new boyfriend on his works coach trip to an exhibition followed by a meal in a posh restaurant. After visiting the upstairs ladies loo I slipped, on my bottom, down the whole flight of stairs right into the middle of the room full of diners, breaking both heels off my shoes! No injuries but I I can still feel the blushes 50+ years later!

inishowen Fri 26-May-23 14:37:29

During lockdown I had to go to the health centre. Hubby drove me and parked a little distance away. When I came out I saw he'd moved the car nearer. I jumped in and a voice said hello. To my horror I'd jumped into a strangers car. I was horrified and couldn't stop apologising.

pooohbear2811 Fri 26-May-23 14:56:04

my eldest daughter was 4 and not long started school. (early 80's) and one day her and the other girls went into the boys toilets to watch them pee into sinks.....urinals but they had no idea what they were. So I explained best I could how boys ( like she knew her dad did) stand up to go the toilet as they can pull out their penis and these are better designed than toilets for boys.
A few days later we are in swimming when a VERY well endowed gent can into the pool wearing budgie smugglers, at the top of her voice that echoed round the whole pool my daughter kindly points out - mum that man has peanuts to pee in the urinal with.....not sure who was more mortified me or him.

Scottiebear Fri 26-May-23 15:11:26

Maghiemaybe. I too have a very embarrassing incident which only a couple of close friends know of. Too mortifying to raise here. Referred to as the Canal incident by my hubby.

jocork Fri 26-May-23 15:17:17

Many year ago I was at work and put a tampon in my lab coat pocket before going to the loo. As I walked down the corridor it fell out of a hole in said pocket. As it bounced along the floor a male colleague said " I think you just dropped something." I don't know if he realised what it was but I grabbed it and disappeared as fast as I could.

suelld Fri 26-May-23 15:18:21

Decades ago when walking to my motherā€™s office, I spotted a very good friend in the distance, as she was looking towards me I waved like mad and started running towards herā€¦as I got nearer I realised it wasnā€™t herā€¦ so just carried on waving and ran past herā€¦for a long time til I was out of sight! blush

Ffion63 Fri 26-May-23 16:43:56

Went for a bath one evening and dumped clothes in the bedroom afterwards. The next morning, I went to my local Asda, did a shop then noticed in a mirror that I had a sanitary towel (clean fortunately) stuck to the hem of my trousers by one of its ā€˜wingsā€™ So mortified. šŸ«£

Juicylucy Fri 26-May-23 16:46:12

Ah I love thisā€¦ bet you made his day and in turn a smile on your face.

Vickicop Fri 26-May-23 16:56:19

Years ago when I was massively pregnant, I was sitting on the crowded bus on the way home from work when I could see a little boy and his Mum sitting opposite were whispering and looking at me. Suddenly the little boy pointed at me and in a loud voice said ā€œis the pram in there as wellā€ šŸ˜‚