Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarrassing moments

(77 Posts)
Poppyjo Wed 24-May-23 07:42:03

This morning I filled up my car at the local garage. As I went in to pay, a policeman was walking towards the door to leave. I said good morning and went to pay. I said to the cashier β€œwow he can arrest me any time”. I turned to leave and nearly died. The policeman was standing right behind me! He did not arrest me πŸ˜†. I don’t think I ever moved so quickly!

LRavenscroft Wed 24-May-23 07:50:00

Ha! Ha! Bet you made his day. A few years back I was looking into a small shop window in my town on a cold winter's day before Christmas. I put my arm into my husband's and cuddled up to him but to my horror it was not my husband but a completely strange man. He laughed out loud as did my husband who was standing behind. They were both about the same size and wearing blue jackets. Guess who looked the twit there?!

Dickens Wed 24-May-23 08:55:50

I was dashing off to a job interview (90s) and had put two stripes of 'blusher' cream on my face prior to smoothing it in.

The 'phone rang - I chatted to the caller for a while and then told him I had to rush as I had a job interview.

... I forgot to smooth in the two stripes of blusher.

Which I discovered after the interview when I got back into my car and adjusted the overhead mirror.

LRavenscroft Wed 24-May-23 09:53:53

Dickens

I was dashing off to a job interview (90s) and had put two stripes of 'blusher' cream on my face prior to smoothing it in.

The 'phone rang - I chatted to the caller for a while and then told him I had to rush as I had a job interview.

... I forgot to smooth in the two stripes of blusher.

Which I discovered after the interview when I got back into my car and adjusted the overhead mirror.

Did you get the job?

Hetty58 Wed 24-May-23 10:05:22

What job, though - make up artist? Clown/entertainer?

Dickens Wed 24-May-23 12:15:53

Did you get the job?

... grin No!

Dickens Wed 24-May-23 12:19:58

Hetty58

What job, though - make up artist? Clown/entertainer?

Personal Assistant to Chief Operating Officer of a Pharmaceutical company...

... I don't think I was quite what they were looking for 🀣

kittylester Wed 24-May-23 12:25:30

Thinking I was doing her a favour, I told the receptionist at our hotel that she had a big splodge of ink on her face. It was a birthmark!

I can beat the cuddling up to your dh, I pinched a strangers bottom. It was our first time at a local Doctors, Dentists and Vets (!!) Christmas do.We had arranged to meet in the bar after going to the loo and leaving our coats etc. A man with longish, wavy hair, in a dj, was standing at the bar. It wasn't dh - but we all became firm friends - he said in was compulsory in the circumstances.

biglouis Wed 24-May-23 12:30:05

I was trying to plug a USB device into a laptop but it was not working. My cleaner (who knows nothing about computers and does not wish to) said "Do you have it the right way up?" I tried it the other way and it worked. My Ph.D was in human computer interaction so it was quite embarassing.

Esmay Wed 24-May-23 12:49:49

My son's teacher asked me to go to the school to talk about his progress .

He was very bright and also extremely naughty and disruptive in class .

Filled with panic - I met up with my nice and reassuring friends for lunch .
Have another glass of wine , they said .
And so I did .

They left .

I went to the loo only to realise when a lot of men were whistling and applauding - that my entire skirt was tucked into my knickers .

It turned out that the teacher was very pleased with my son , but hesitating in putting him in a class above as it was not school policy .

As the cafe was our regular haunt I saw those men frequently and they didn't forget !

Dickens Wed 24-May-23 13:32:25

kittylester

Thinking I was doing her a favour, I told the receptionist at our hotel that she had a big splodge of ink on her face. It was a birthmark!

I can beat the cuddling up to your dh, I pinched a strangers bottom. It was our first time at a local Doctors, Dentists and Vets (!!) Christmas do.We had arranged to meet in the bar after going to the loo and leaving our coats etc. A man with longish, wavy hair, in a dj, was standing at the bar. It wasn't dh - but we all became firm friends - he said in was compulsory in the circumstances.

😳😳

kircubbin2000 Wed 24-May-23 13:52:17

Last week I was getting ready to go for a swim when the phone rang. I thought I was going to be late and rushed into the car. When I got to the pool I realised I was wearing slippers and the T shirt I sleep in , no bra. No one noticed.
The previous week one of the ladies approached me in the changing room to tell me my swimsuit was see through.

Lexisgranny Wed 24-May-23 13:58:22

One of my moments, there have been several, was finding that I had gone to work in odd shoes. I had bought two pairs from Saxones , one with a 2” inch heel the other a 3.5”, otherwise they were identical, plain navy leather court shoes. I was obviously limping and was becoming quite concerned when someone took me aside and pointed it out. I had no other shoes with me and limped round all day. I’m not sure what was worse knowing that I had made a stupid mistake, or being told that I had. That day I gave an important presentation and had been pleased that so many watched my every move so avidly.

Bella23 Wed 24-May-23 14:07:20

On my wedding day, the hairdresser slept in and as I was getting married in the morning everything was a mad rush. As we got to the chapel I whispered to my bridesmaid that I thought I had forgotten to put my pants on. She said she hoped it didn't get too windy when a huge gust blew around the corner and we both held my dress down.
My aunt asked me later why we had done it and I explained, she told me she thought I had got away with it she only saw my garter,

choughdancer Wed 24-May-23 14:07:38

Years ago when I was working in London, travelling up every day on the tube. I noticed that a few people were looking at me and smiling, and felt rather pleased.

I then discovered that I had most of a pair of tights dragging full length behind me from the bottom of one leg of my trousers. I had probably taken them off together the night before carelessly, and not realised when getting dressed!

Bella23 Wed 24-May-23 15:38:06

My DH really showed himself up in Menzies on a visit to Edinburgh. I wanted to buy a magazine and he wandered off to look elsewhere. When he came back he approached the woman standing next to me from the back and said "See anything you fancy?" squeezing her waist, she turned around and nearly slapped his face. I was saying he didn't mean it, she looked at me and saw we had exactly the same coat on and her hair cut into a bob like mine. One lucky escape if I hadn't been there I think she would have caused quite a fuss.

Serendipity22 Fri 26-May-23 11:15:27

πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Brilliant

Ampersand Fri 26-May-23 11:18:00

I took part in a face to face market research session for a pharmaceutical company and I had to read instructions and then carry out a task. The task was to use my phone to scan the QR code - I spent 10 minutes trying to scan the bar code not the QR code while the interviewer didn't say a word and kept a straight face. I am not a stupid person normally

icanhandthemback Fri 26-May-23 11:23:26

I rushed out of my diet group as my husband was picking me up and jumped into my car chatting as I did so. A startled stranger looked up from reading his book asking, "Can I help you?" I don't know who was more surprised, him or me. My husband hadn't even arrived and my only excuse is the car was red just like mine! I was mortified but my DH thought it was hilarious.

Mizuna Fri 26-May-23 11:27:13

I took my jeans and knickers off together before going to bed, threw them over a chair, too lazy to separate them. The next morning hurriedly donned clean knickers, same jeans. In Tesco yesterday's knickers fell out from the ankle of my jeans. gringrin

dlizi4 Fri 26-May-23 11:31:36

Dog sitting so walked the dog, got in and threw my jacket on the sofa, time for a quick cuppa before meeting DS from school bus
Grabbed the jacket and off we went. I was thinking wow, everybody is very smiley today. (a lot of cars passing with smiley people, I thought)
Then I noticed a thong had stuck itself to the velcro on my jacket (from the pile of laundry needing sorted on the sofa) and was merrily swinging away as I walked
Whipped it off quickly and stuffed it in my pocket but the damage had been done blush

Bella23 Fri 26-May-23 11:34:18

I bet you made everyone's day Mizuna.blushgrin

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-May-23 11:36:08

Thanks everyone!
Lots of funny stories here. 😁

Mizuna Fri 26-May-23 11:36:40

Of course. They were very nice knickers. grin

albertina Fri 26-May-23 11:36:46

These are all great !

I did the car thing in an Asda Car park. My daughter never let me forget it.

Probably the most embarrassing was walking out of the ladies loo at the Eden Project with a length of used ( wet) toilet paper trailing behind me. Fortunately my sister grabbed it quickly. Red face or what !