Gransnet forums

Chat

How much should the Uk pay for, for people from the rest of the world

(53 Posts)
fancythat Thu 25-May-23 10:01:20

Just speaking in general I think really, do you believe that everything in the Uk should be available for everyone in every other country?

I lifted this from another thread, as it was deemed maybe not suitable for that particular thread.

Brahumbug Sat 27-May-23 20:01:57

The figure of £45 trillion taken from India is a load of discredited arse gravy. Do look at some proper academic studies on the subject.

SueDonim Fri 26-May-23 20:37:56

👏 👏 your post of 13:17, Terribull. It’s all from the nationalist’s play book. No original thinking, just inward-looking parochialism.

Norah Fri 26-May-23 20:07:00

growstuff

Norah

growstuff

The Lend-Lease Act was signed on 11 March 1941. The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. Initially, Roosevelt hoped that Lend-Lease would keep the US out of direct combat. The allies would almost certainly not have won WW2 without American intervention. The USSR received a substantial amount of equipment and would not have been able to win on the eastern front.

Lend-Lease was a commercial arrangement and the allies received a good deal. Even though the western allies had to pay the money back, it was a fraction of the true amount when inflation was taken into account.

I'm not sure what point you're making.

Thank you. I fully understand WW2 history.

I stated what I think, in response to a post on this thread.

I think that loans from US should have been forgiven. Didn't happen. That's my point.

I don't see any reason why they should have been written off. The US didn't steal the money from the allies. It was a commercial arrangement.

Opinions. We all have them. I stated mine.

I think the payment should have been written off. Allies were left in a terrible bombed out situation, slow recovery. Rations. USA had no continental USA bombed areas, recovered fast.

Hawaii wasn't a state yet - and Pearl Harbour is a tiny area.

growstuff Fri 26-May-23 19:24:13

Norah

growstuff

The Lend-Lease Act was signed on 11 March 1941. The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. Initially, Roosevelt hoped that Lend-Lease would keep the US out of direct combat. The allies would almost certainly not have won WW2 without American intervention. The USSR received a substantial amount of equipment and would not have been able to win on the eastern front.

Lend-Lease was a commercial arrangement and the allies received a good deal. Even though the western allies had to pay the money back, it was a fraction of the true amount when inflation was taken into account.

I think that loans from US should have been forgiven. Didn't happen. That's my point.

I don't see any reason why they should have been written off. The US didn't steal the money from the allies. It was a commercial arrangement.

growstuff Fri 26-May-23 18:48:20

Maggiemaybe

I caught part of a recent Jeremy Vine discussion on Radio 2 and heard several callers claiming that they or their children had applied for the sort of jobs it’s claimed British people won’t do, and hadn’t even received a reply from the employers advertising the vacancies. Since then I’ve learned that it’s perfectly legal to pay workers from overseas less than their British counterparts.

I wonder if there could be a connection? hmm

www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/when-you-can-be-paid-less

That only covers specific occupations.

The original rules meant that qualified scientists and others couldn't work in the UK. At the moment, the UK depends on them.

TerriBull Fri 26-May-23 18:39:15

We always take out appropriate medical insurance when we go abroad, I think that is an absolute necessity

TerriBull Fri 26-May-23 18:30:31

When my ex and I were in the process of emigrating to Australia, we were advised at that time, that no benefits would be available until we had made contributions into their system for seven years, which seemed somewhat harsh compared to how magnanimous we are here.

CanadianGran Fri 26-May-23 18:23:16

I do believe that if you use services in another country their should be some form of payment. If I were visiting the UK and had a medical emergency, I would expect to have to pay a portion of the cost, and I would have medical travel insurance to cover it.

As for general use of roads and public infrastructure, there is usually a tourist tax in certain areas that hotels have to collect. This goes towards the local municipal government to aid in traffic control, extra garbage pickup, etc.

We have an issue here that has just become more public; birth tourism. People from other countries plan an extended vacation in order to give birth in Canada in order to gain citizenship for their child. They are charged for medical expenses, and in fact, like universities with foreign students, the hospitals benefit from these charges, so it is not discouraged. In the meantime, certain hospitals maternity wards are taken up with foreigners paying for private rooms, and locals are often sent to other hospitals because their local is full.

fancythat Fri 26-May-23 17:46:45

Maggiemaybe

I caught part of a recent Jeremy Vine discussion on Radio 2 and heard several callers claiming that they or their children had applied for the sort of jobs it’s claimed British people won’t do, and hadn’t even received a reply from the employers advertising the vacancies. Since then I’ve learned that it’s perfectly legal to pay workers from overseas less than their British counterparts.

I do think that is part of what it is all about.
I had heard that before, but forgotten it. Thank you.

There was an article in the Guardian, I think recently, whose headline said that Brexit[not wanting a discussion about that word] was to blame for the Uk economy now having to use Uk workers, which were more expensive than overseas ones.
It was seen as a bad thing to actually employ people who live in the Uk!!!

Well I suppose it is bad to some people, if money is the sole thing that matters.

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-May-23 17:25:24

Callistsmon
Luckily I did manage to get insurance that would accept my BCC before I went , I’m sure Australia would have looked after me but ….just to be sure.
If we went to live there though we would have to organise our own health care arrangement I think. Fair enough.

Norah Fri 26-May-23 16:42:55

growstuff

growstuff Fri 26-May-23 16:36:45

Norah Fri 26-May-23 16:13:54

We are a wealthy country relative to rest of world. Should wealthier countries support smaller ones. Should we then expect to get supported by the 7 or whoever many countries who are wealthier than we are?

Apart from support, I've always found it ironic that America didn't enter the war until basically forced to keep it off North America - but expected/ received re-payment for lend lease until 2006. All our fathers, brothers, uncles, cousins flew and died over Europe long before the US engaged.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 14:41:47

PamelaJ1

As Callistemon says reciprocal arrangements are the way to go although not all reciprocal arrangements are equal.

I wouldn't travel without insurance although the twice we've needed emergency treatment in Australia it has been free.

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-May-23 14:39:19

Boz Fri 26-May-23 14:07:59

Recently on Countryfile a cauliflower farmer said he found it impossible to hire and keep local pickers and he had to rely on imported seasonal labour. In order to balance the argument, it was suggested that unlike the immigrant workers who were housed and could save their money, the indigenous worker had to pay rent or a mortgage - maybe provide for family, so could not survive on a low wage and a seasonal job.

Hetty58 Fri 26-May-23 13:47:55

fancythat, you mention people coming here and 'using' UK services - but I think that's a narrow, misguided view.

We really need people to come here and work for those services or they'd just collapse. People come and make a difference, a contribution - far more than draining our resources - so I welcome them. My doctor, dentist, pharmacist and local corner shop owner are all immigrants - unlike the majority of the local population. Therefore, my question is: Are the British too lazy to work long hours - and too uneducated/unskilled for these jobs? If so, why?

growstuff Fri 26-May-23 13:35:45

India doesn't have more billionaires than the rest of the world. The US does, followed by China.

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-May-23 13:33:29

As Callistemon says reciprocal arrangements are the way to go although not all reciprocal arrangements are equal.

Freya5 Fri 26-May-23 13:30:52

paddyann54

I think maybe paying them back for the damage the "UK" caused financial and physical and in many other ways to multiple countries is essential
Just one that should be given whatever it needs is India....£45 TRILLION looted from them that might ...would have made their move into a modern world easier if they had kept their own assets.The jewels used in the coronation for instance could have fed a lot of hungry folk.
We keep hearing these "things" are safer in british hands.......lol.
That includes Scotlands oil and renewables nowadays .
I and many millions disagree.IF england wants "things" it needs to pay for them if not when they were stolen then now retrosectively.
Immigrants ...pay for their keep by working so the question on the other thread was irrelevant

Scotland oil, 😂 British waters, India has more billionaires than the rest of the world. Cant even provide decent health care, and with a space programme to boot. England has its own renewables, bigger than Scotlands, are you willing to pay us more. What a ridiculous argument, full of bitterness and hate.

TerriBull Fri 26-May-23 13:17:56

It's a shame that we have these all too familiar caustic outbursts, spat out in the usual shouty capital letters, except for little old england that gets a small "e", that's england the much loathed country where all the ills of the world, mostly historic get heaped upon it and never mind that pretty much the entire population would have been disenfranchised when we were a colonial power, we should all be prepared to offer grovelling apologies and mea culpas ad infinitum. Lets completely overlook that large swathes of Europe were also colonial powers too. Deeply entrenched parochialism and bigotry comes across loud and clear, it must be a terrific drawback to lack any sort of impartiality whatsoever to not know that all mankind has a deeply dark side and that doesn't pertain to any one race or country. Genocide after genocide has been committed since the beginning of time, the start of the 20th century saw Turkey's annihilation of thousands of Armenians that was before Germany got into their stride, and aside from the Holocaust, as in Iam's example, look what they inflicted on other parts of Europe, their reparations were paltry and in any event could never be enough, Greece certainly doesn't think so, aside from the atrocities they inflicted on the people of Greece, the Nazis stole artworks and plundered Greek Banks, yes it could be argued that present day Germany could be a bit more magnanimous in writing off some of the Greek debt when they themselves got rebuilt by virtue of the Marshall Plan post war after leaving the rest of Europe in ruins, but lets not go there that's a whole different thread. Could Japan ever compensate China for the rape of Nanking, largely forgotten now. Country after country would be forever in the debt for their wrong doings and as others who have lived abroad and done more research have pointed out, whilst all the world was behaving badly, Scotland didn't stand alone as some beacon of righteousness! but then the most Scottish posters don't bang on in quite the same vein, they're not so ridiculously blinkered.

Personally, I think much more should be made of present day slavery and trafficking, not to mention the new colonialists, Chinese aren't all over Africa like a rash for ultruistic reasons.

Bella23 Fri 26-May-23 12:11:01

Blossoming

It isn’t just England that holds ‘colonial’ treasures PaddyAnn. Several Scottish and Welsh mansions contain looted treasures and articles linked to slavery and the triangular trade. I think people don’t know the half of it.

You are right Blossoming, if you look into the archives and past finances of lots of countries not just England they benefited from the triangular trade.
France was in "The Auld Alliance", with Scotland. Where did all the sugar and rum they consumed come from? Scots overseers on plantations.
The Scots were in India as part of the Colonial running of the country you can't be proud of their engineering skills and not acknowledge where a lot of it was used laying railways in Africa and India they were getting paid and not treating the natives well. I have found them on the old Indian census.
You only have to look at records and Wilberforce house.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 11:40:44

So yes, in some places it is not just matched, but by far exceeded elsewhere.

If we have a reciprocal arrangement with another country then yes, we would get free treatment if we needed it.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 11:38:54

Good summing up

And also M0nica and Iam64

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 11:35:22

TerriBull Thu 25-May-23 19:06:31

Good summing up 😁

And Scotland, sorry scotland, was not as perfect and without sin as some would have us believe.