Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think I would do?

(81 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 01-Jun-23 17:31:14

This is intended to be a light hearted ‘dilemma’ based on a Radio 2 Saturday morning feature, ‘What would Sally do?’

I realise it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I often listen in while doing housework.

So….following the same format, what do you think I would do faced with the following dilemma…

“I’m getting ready to meet a friend for a walk along the seafront and ironing a favourite top when I notice the top button is very loose and if it’s undone reveals far too much (wrinkly) cleavage for my liking. I’m running short of time so do I…

a) Grab the loose thread and wind it round where the button is sewn on hoping it will hold?

b) Message my friend telling her I’ll be a bit late while I search for the sewing box?

c) Pull the button off so as not to lose it and think, To hell with the unflattering décolletage?”

What do you think I would do and what would you do?

Do add a ‘dilemma’ of your own for us to solve. 🤔😋

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Jun-23 22:58:18

Wear a jumper over it.
No ironing.
No button issues
?

merlotgran Thu 01-Jun-23 23:09:11

Yep! I did the winding thread round thingy. The only problem was when we went for lunch after our very pleasant walk I kept glancing down my front to make sure the dratted button was still there. 😂
As for ironing…I would like to stress it’s very rare occurrence and completely non existent in the winter when everything can be hidden under a woolly!

merlotgran Thu 01-Jun-23 23:17:24

NotSpaghetti

Wear a jumper over it.
No ironing.
No button issues
?

Jumper? It’s summer doncha know. 😂

We nesh southerners know how to rock the riviera look even if we have to cover up our wrinkly cleavage. 🤣🤣

biglouis Thu 01-Jun-23 23:50:04

Wear another top!

I would never iron something just before going out. I avoid ironing if I can but would certainly do it in advance if I needed something to wear for a special occasion. This would give me ample time to fix the button or change what I wore.

I am a planner.

Redhead56 Thu 01-Jun-23 23:58:37

Regarding the very rare pastime of ironing I have a fair bit only because my summer tops came out of storage and are washed. But if it’s sunny I can’t hide the creases with a cardigan.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Jun-23 06:27:44

merlotgran
grin
I had no idea that this was a serious question! Thought it was just a jolly diversion!

BlueBelle Fri 02-Jun-23 07:02:01

I thought this was a game !!
If this is all there is to worry about then you re one lucky lady

You lost me at iron too

JackyB Fri 02-Jun-23 07:59:04

We were supposed to think up a new dilemma - answer the question and move on. I can't think of one, though.

As to the button on blouse, I can't put myself in that situation either. Would have prepared my clothes earlier and, either way, would sew on button. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Gingster Fri 02-Jun-23 08:06:48

My ‘what would you do’ happened on Tuesday. I was drying and styling my hair ready to meet friends out for lunch. Hairdryer stopped working.
I have thick hair that needs to be blow dried.

A. Just leave it to dry?
B. Rush out to buy another ? (Not much time though)
C. Ask DIL. to bring hers round. (Early in the day)
D. Ask a neighbour (not very close)

merlotgran Fri 02-Jun-23 08:39:44

BlueBelle

You lost me at iron too

NotSpag is right. It’s intended to be a jolly diversion, inspired by my brief encounter with the iron and a loose button.

🤔

Kim19 Fri 02-Jun-23 08:48:29

Wouldn't happen to me as I'm boringly organised in advance. However, in given scenario, I would call to apologise for slight tardiness and do the repair.

merlotgran Fri 02-Jun-23 09:10:03

Gingster, Your first thought might be to let it dry and rock your New Look with confidence. There is definitely no time to buy another hairdryer.

Steer clear of the neighbour. She might take fright at the sight of your wild look and phone the police!

So the answer is C. Ask your DIL if you can borrow hers and try not to break it! 😂

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 10:36:22

merlotgran

BlueBelle

You lost me at iron too

NotSpag is right. It’s intended to be a jolly diversion, inspired by my brief encounter with the iron and a loose button.

🤔

Oh, I knew it was a jolly diversion but I didn't think of another one.
Sorry! 😁

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 10:40:40

Do add a ‘dilemma’ of your own for us to solve. 🤔😋

Must read the OP properly before answering!

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Jun-23 11:14:01

If this was serious I'd leave it to dry.
- I don't have a hairdryer though - so no problems for me in real life.

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 11:48:05

Gingster

My ‘what would you do’ happened on Tuesday. I was drying and styling my hair ready to meet friends out for lunch. Hairdryer stopped working.
I have thick hair that needs to be blow dried.

A. Just leave it to dry?
B. Rush out to buy another ? (Not much time though)
C. Ask DIL. to bring hers round. (Early in the day)
D. Ask a neighbour (not very close)

A Just leave it to dry - even though my friends might go 😲

Provisos: It depends how far away DIL lives, how busy she is
And I have a hot brush (essential on my hair!).

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 11:54:30

It's Christmas Day, you're expecting a houseful of visitors, the turkey's in the oven but you realise the oven has stopped working partway through cooking

Do you:

A Phone and ask if you can all gather at one of their houses instead?

B Finish it outside on the BBQ although there's 6" of snow on the ground

C Throw it in the bin and tell everyone it's cheese and biscuits and trifle for a change for Christmas lunch?

biglouis Fri 02-Jun-23 12:01:31

For the hair query I would just leave it to dry.

I dont own a hair dryer abd mine is always left to simply dry naturally and brushed out as it dries. I should add that I have very long hair (waist length) and wear it up in a chignon so it can always be made to look presentable.

For the Christmas one I would probably dump the turkey and order a delivery of something completely different!

biglouis Fri 02-Jun-23 12:05:05

You are in bed in the day with a cold/flu/hangover etc and someone knocks at the door. You dont have a ring type doorbell. Do you:-

#1 ignore it
#2 go to a window or similar to see who it is and then decide
#3 get out of bed and struggle to the door

I would ignore it. If its important they will leave a note or try again sometime.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 02-Jun-23 12:16:35

I'd pull the button off and safety pin the blouse closed from th wrong side,

Or failing a safety pin in a suitable (small) size, I would pin the blouse closed with a brooch.

merlotgran Fri 02-Jun-23 12:21:36

Callistemon21

It's Christmas Day, you're expecting a houseful of visitors, the turkey's in the oven but you realise the oven has stopped working partway through cooking

Do you:

A Phone and ask if you can all gather at one of their houses instead?

B Finish it outside on the BBQ although there's 6" of snow on the ground

C Throw it in the bin and tell everyone it's cheese and biscuits and trifle for a change for Christmas lunch?

A. seems like the best option. Pack everything in the boot of the car and continue the cookathon in somebody else’s kitchen!

However…..this actually happened to us many years ago and as FiL had type 1 diabetes Christmas dinner had to be timed to fit in with the time he’d had his insulin injection.

DH cut the turkey into manageable portions and finished it on the barbecue.! The gas hob took care of the veg but we did miss our roasties. 😩

Bellanonna Fri 02-Jun-23 12:58:10

ironing? What is this ironing thing?

Or indeed, what is this sewing thing? There MUST be another top somewhere surely?

Bellanonna Fri 02-Jun-23 12:59:18

Apologies! I didn’t “turn the page”

BlueBelle Fri 02-Jun-23 13:17:15

Haha I think I get it now so it IS a game but not in the game section
I would have quickly sewn on the button and probably swore a lot ( to myself) with each stitch
Ok here we go with a dilemma
Two friends have asked me for a coffee the same day it’s the only day in the week free sobdo I see one in the morning and one in the afternoon or see one this week and the other the following week ?

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Jun-23 15:02:36

🤔

It would be nice to spread it out over another week.

Do they know each other? Can you kill two birds with one stone (not literally!) 😁