Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Mail

(44 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 04-Jun-23 18:50:05

Is it still called that? If so perhaps the King could sort them out. The service appears to have collapsed. I get post once or twice a week now, a bundle of items delivered late along with lots of junk mail.
There’s just one collection from the post boxes so if I post a letter on Saturday after 7am it doesn’t even get collected until Monday. My last birthday card sent to a grandchild 1st class took eleven days to arrive.
What will be next to die, after the NHS, Council services, the rail ways? Third World Britain.

Witzend Tue 06-Jun-23 13:31:58

We must be lucky - no complaints here. We get post almost every weekday, inc. Saturdays.

Postman has collected big heavy Click and Drop parcels - no charge - and the parcels I send regularly via click and drop from SW London to a charity in Yorkshire, have almost always arrived the next day.

biglouis Tue 06-Jun-23 13:33:02

You dont need to be a business to order a home collection if you use the "click and drop" online service.

sandwichgeneration Tue 06-Jun-23 14:01:46

Our post was so bad that it made the front page of the Sunday Times. No post at all. We had to go to the sorting office to ask for our post. Since the bad publicity, we now get post twice a week, but post boxes aren't emptied often so it's better to post a birthday card at least a week in advance.

grannybuy Tue 06-Jun-23 14:34:37

I went to a postbox on a housing estate one evening. It was so full that I could have lifted handfuls of mail out of it.

Franbern Tue 06-Jun-23 14:46:15

Ilovecheese

But, but, it is a private company now, so it must be better than before!

smile

Bijou Tue 06-Jun-23 15:01:40

I have post about 11 am. Mainly bank statements or bills.
Last week I received a Christmas card from Barbados posted on 10th December last year with stamps the equivalent of £2.50.

esme123 Tue 06-Jun-23 15:13:54

You can opt out of junk mail if you download the form and send it off.

Daisymae Tue 06-Jun-23 15:18:17

Well my postman is on holiday for 3 weeks and there's no cover. Last time he was away for a week we had no post. I'm sort of expecting they will drop some post off next week but I am not sure. I don't know how people operate business but I expect that they have long gone elsewhere.

crazyH Tue 06-Jun-23 15:26:25

I haven’t had any post for 3 days, not even junk mail, which is unusual.

62Granny Tue 06-Jun-23 15:48:42

Our postie is in our street daily and we get addressed mail about twice a week mostly catalogues for different clothing companies and a junk mail drop about once a week , unfortunately the junk mail companies pay royal mail to deliver their leaflets and that keeps people in jobs so don't feel I should complain about too much, it only takes a few minutes to put it in the recycling bin.🙄 , the post box down the road is collected in the early morning but the things I post usually get there in a day or so even with a second class stamp.

Saetana Tue 06-Jun-23 15:59:38

Royal Mail have never managed to return to the levels of service that we had pre-covid - target for first class mail to be delivered the next day is 93%, they are currently managing barely 70%! I am a member of Royal Mail's customer panel - which is how they get the figures for what mail gets delivered when. I send items to other panellists and receive items myself, some from individuals and some from businesses. All this is logged via an app so they can track how long various types of mail are taking to arrive. In my first few years on the panel, they were close to their target of 93% almost all the time, barring particularly busy periods such as Christmas. During covid, the service went severely downhill and has still not recovered. The service is terrible at the moment, and the strikes have not helped.

janipans Tue 06-Jun-23 17:59:25

Let Amazon buy them out! They seem to have deliveries sorted!

Unigran4 Tue 06-Jun-23 22:55:25

If the "junk" mail has your name and address on it, they are duty bound to deliver it because they have an obligation to the sender who entrust RM to deliver their advertising mail. If you don't want to receive it, your beef is with the sender, not RM.

There are several ways of stopping it: write to the company and ask to be taken off their mailing list, or, put two strikes through your address (do not obliterate it) and mark each letter that you don't want as "unsolicited mail, RTS" (Return to Sender) and put it back in the post box. Your postman will receive it back, take note of the two strikes and return it to sender for you. I worked 20 years for RM and this is how the system works.

The form to stop the junk mail that esme123 is talking about, is for the unaddressed items (flyers) that the postmen deliver along with regular mail.

VickyB Wed 07-Jun-23 08:44:34

We also get post around twice a week. Although a postie is in the village every day. I have heard numerous people from other areas complain of the same. I know our posties (well they used to be ours before being sold off) have to work harder than ever now.

DeeJaysMum Wed 07-Jun-23 13:41:17

@albertina

Not sure why it all changed and why they are losing out to other companies. Even ebay seems to promote other companies ahead of the post office for delivery.

One of the main reasons people aren't using rm these days is that they're so expensive.
If I send a package by RM and I want tracking info, as soon as you get to about 250g in weight, it's over £3, but you can send anything up to 1kg with Evri for under £3, with tracking. So now, the only time I use RM is if I'm sending something abroad and Evri don't offer a service to that particular country, otherwise, I find Evri to be far faster and more reliable than RM

biglouis Wed 07-Jun-23 13:49:30

I opted out of junk mail some time ago and get very little of it now.

nanna8 Wed 07-Jun-23 14:21:43

Funny they never,ever deliver when it is raining or bad weather.

tidyskatemum Wed 07-Jun-23 16:02:44

Our last postie resigned because he was regularly given clapped out vehicles which kept breaking down. The last straw came when he was expected to drive a van with bald tyres! In our rural location most people rely on the dreaded Amazon etc for a lot of things. It was horrific to see how quickly the pile of parcels grew at the nearest post office, to the point where you could hardly get through the door. In the end another postie, officially on sick leave, brought everything in a big van to the village hall, where we all queued up like refugees waiting for food parcels, to gratefully receive our mail.