Gransnet forums

Chat

Clothes shopping getting harder

(105 Posts)
coco12 Tue 08-Aug-23 20:01:03

Went into town today to buy a top for a get together I'm attending. Thought I'd easily find something. My usual haunts of Next and M&S had nothing! Lots of t shirts but where have nice tops gone? Remember when you could go to Wallis and be guaranteed a nice top to go out in. High Street is getting bereft of choice.
Where does everyone shop these days? 🤔

Joseann Wed 09-Aug-23 06:54:29

* prices

coco12 Wed 09-Aug-23 07:00:42

Well I've ordered a couple of tops, fat face and roman. Will see how they are. But great idea to look for local ones, I'll get onto that.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 09-Aug-23 07:36:12

I have always been very happy with sizing and quality of purchases from Roman,their sales are very good too.

Witzend Wed 09-Aug-23 09:04:06

I mostly buy online now - so fed up with trawling shops to find nothing - or too often, something I do like, but not in my size.

I buy from just a very few websites where I now know their sizing, delivery is fast and returns are easy and free.

Bella23 Wed 09-Aug-23 09:19:26

We have nothing in our small market town not even a M&S clothes just food.
I buy on line if you look at M&S on line they do a lot of the other brands as well Jeagar,Seasalt, Hobbs,White Stuff and more.
I buy on line now and just get them collected if they don't fit. I don't know where I would go if I wanted something for a wedding etc.
The other big problem I have is I take a half size in a shoe and so few companies make them. I have three pairs of the same shoe in Gabor andCarvela but in different colours. I would love to have the shopping facilities I had when living near a city with a Market town full of upmarket independent shops that sold Betty Barcley etc.

aggie Wed 09-Aug-23 09:26:37

I’ve been trying on tops that looked fine when I bought them a few months ago , this buying on line isn’t great , I hate them all , now too late to return

Casdon Wed 09-Aug-23 09:34:00

I prefer buying online, it saves the time and effort of trawling the shops. You do have to be proactive though, try stuff on as soon as it arrives and send it back straight away if it’s not right. I tend to order quite a bit of stuff from one company at a time because the returns are cheaper that way - some do free returns which is even better.

eazybee Wed 09-Aug-23 09:54:06

I agree that clothes shopping is getting harder; I dislike online clothes shopping as the cut, colour and fabric vary from the pictures, and the sizing is also variable. Then the hassle of returning the item.
There are no M & S stores locally, the nearest being a 15 mile very convoluted journey; the Department stores have vanished. I use Seasalt, Crew and Phase Eight they are within easy reach and White Company online as I trust them. This summer all stores seem to have a permanent sale, I suspect because their stock is not shifting, precisely because customers are not buying sufficient online.

And as for buying decent make-up!

Bella23 Wed 09-Aug-23 09:59:58

To buy decent make up I would have to do a round trip of 120 miles. Luckily my DD's know what I like and my colouring mainly keep me up to date.

Foxygloves Wed 09-Aug-23 10:50:25

I have no hassle with returning internet purchases. Royal Mail Click&Drop collect from my doorstep without any extra charge and both they and Evri (who also collect) have an arrangement with several internet clothes sites for free returns.
One of my problems though is that I am generally at least a year or so behind “fashion” -by taste, I also prefer classic clothes- and I have had some excellent bargains of new with labels pieces from eBay. Did you know that manufacturers such as Seasalt, Joules, White Stuff sell their remaindered items through their eBay outlet sites? So that top or jumper I saw last year I can buy for as little as 25% of the label price. They also take returns and are frequently free postage.
Worth checking out.

OurKid1 Wed 09-Aug-23 11:03:48

I've found eBay to be very useful. If you put the name of a shop you've used before into the search bar, then go to 'condition' you can put in 'new with/without tags' and get discontinued (but still brand new) things. I've done that many times - probably more than I should - to find favourites. Some offer returns if you're not sure.

OurKid1 Wed 09-Aug-23 11:04:48

Foxygloves

I have no hassle with returning internet purchases. Royal Mail Click&Drop collect from my doorstep without any extra charge and both they and Evri (who also collect) have an arrangement with several internet clothes sites for free returns.
One of my problems though is that I am generally at least a year or so behind “fashion” -by taste, I also prefer classic clothes- and I have had some excellent bargains of new with labels pieces from eBay. Did you know that manufacturers such as Seasalt, Joules, White Stuff sell their remaindered items through their eBay outlet sites? So that top or jumper I saw last year I can buy for as little as 25% of the label price. They also take returns and are frequently free postage.
Worth checking out.

Foxgloves - sorry, I realise I've just almost duplicated your post! Great minds think alike!

Foxygloves Wed 09-Aug-23 11:18:17

Great minds indeed! 🤓🤓🤓

Bamm Wed 09-Aug-23 11:21:11

Boden and Saint and Sofia. Sizing very accurate at the later.

Ktsmum Wed 09-Aug-23 11:28:11

Fat Face and &Other Stories

ruthiek Wed 09-Aug-23 11:30:09

Coco12 I read your post with interest as I feel the same nothing is “nice” today , but some of the shops people are offering you are so expensive .
I do look in charity shops but our local ones tend to have stuff that you would have given away , so I am stuck 😪

HeavenLeigh Wed 09-Aug-23 11:32:07

Love Wallis & white company

Daisydaisydaisy Wed 09-Aug-23 11:45:14

Hi
I buy all mine on line for that reason .I’ve been to Lakeside in Essex twice this year and it was a waste of time .Often p and p is around £5 and returns r free so weighs up with cost of petrol or bus fares .
If they don’t have the stock then Wd can’t buy …Vicious circle smile

Diplomat Wed 09-Aug-23 11:48:18

M&S often send text about shopping experience. I always tell them more is needed that appeals to 50+ age group. I think if we were all to point this out they might just listen. I doubt their buyers are 50+ .

lizzypopbottle Wed 09-Aug-23 11:50:22

Dig that sewing machine out of exile! The sky's the limit!

Jess20 Wed 09-Aug-23 11:59:15

I agree with the people who say there's not much that's nice to buy. I like natural fibers like cotton and expect things to last - a t-shirt should last weekly washes for at least a season and still be ok to wear. Increasingly this isn't the case. The shop I used to go to for good quality plain basics, particularly underwear, was M and S but now I find their limited range of good stuff is sold out both on line and in store. I often wonder who actually pays good money for all the overpriced tat I see when I go shopping. I guess selling good quality and long lasting and stylish clothes isn't good for business as we'd be able to buy a lot less.

rowyn Wed 09-Aug-23 11:59:19

Marydoll

I have lots of White Stuff clothing, true to size ( and I am rather round! 🤣).
It is my favourite retailer, but I only buy in sales or from the
Otrium outlet

I'm with you, Marydoll. White Stuff was first recommended to me by my daughter, otherwise I would never have looked. I just do not understand why a shop full of coloured clothes would call itself White Stuff!

Sadly my nearest branch has closed down, so I tend to buy online, and like you, wait for the sales as , for an OAP, they're not cheap. But they're very good quality and true to size.
Never heard of the "Otrium outlet" so now I'm off to Google that!!

harrysgran Wed 09-Aug-23 12:00:04

I got fed up trawling shops and. finding very little or expensive i prefer charity shops and have bought some lovely summer clothes just put your size in and shop some great bargains from higher end brands

Nannapat1 Wed 09-Aug-23 12:40:35

I've been increasingly shopping online, from companies that I know well, so know their sizing but still sometimes order 2 sizes to try. My go to online stores are M&S, Next (I can collect from these 2) John Lewis, Boden, Joules, Monsoon and Seasalt. Online there is usually more availability than in an actual store...if you can find an actual store!

Nannapat1 Wed 09-Aug-23 12:43:08

I meant to add, I usually read reviews where possible as this gives a good clue as to whether the item will be suitable for me or not.