Gransnet forums

Chat

noise blocking reccomendations, please|

(34 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 03-Oct-23 14:15:42

After 4 years of wonderful upstairs neighbours, the flat has been rented to 2 young guys (early 20s?) who, not surprisingly, are not quiet - even talking and walking around reverberates through the ceiling (wooden flooring upstairs).

The noise on Saturday night continued til 2 am when my visiting daughter, who was trying to work, came into my room and ranted. They must have heard at least the tone, as it quietened down, only to re-start at 3.

I was wiped out on Sunday and, before moving house (yes, it's that bad!) would like to give e.g. earplugs a chance. Has anyone found earplugs that work and are comfortable enough to sleep in?

Many thanks!

Romola Wed 04-Oct-23 18:04:17

I think it's awful that anyone should have to wear earplugs to cut out noise from unreasonable upstairs neighbours.
I hope you have a decent landlord who will put down a carpet upstairs. In the meantime, I like Pascal's suggestion about asking them to come into your flat and hear someone clomping about upstairs.
Good luck!

Warmglovesandsocks Thu 05-Oct-23 17:05:39

I wonder if Shysal and Sunnysusie would be kind enough to let me know the makes and where to buy their white noise appliances. I’m desperately looking for white noise headphones, not sound blocking headphones. A well known online retailer doesn’t do white noise headphones and my current white noise headphones are SO OLD they’re taped up with sellotape. I have thin walls and ceiling and young boys above me coming and going all the time during the night with all their friends staying overnight all the time. Feel free to send me a personal reply if you want to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Boing Thu 05-Oct-23 23:41:04

We have a really loud neighbour, (that's the polite description), who spouts the most ridiculous drivel every time she opens her gob, she shouts to everyone who passes by and has woken us up many mornings. Solution - we have a fan beside the bed, turn that on & hey presto 👍 we don't hear the bin lorry, the kids going to school or her anymore. We have one downstairs too, we have to turn the tv up when it's on but we don't hear her much at all now.

Granmarderby10 Fri 06-Oct-23 00:53:58

🤨 hmm Boing I live above a women who is quite deaf and has two “little yappers” she also conducts (shouts) all of her business from the open lounge windows and sings (catawauls) to loud Irish folk records. This flares up at least once a day for a couple of hours.

Redhead56 Fri 06-Oct-23 01:26:43

Boots mouldable wax earplugs are very safe and good use enough to fill cavity. Our son uses sound blocking headphones for his work if I find out what make they are I will post info.

shysal Fri 06-Oct-23 09:53:50

Warmglovesandsocks

I wonder if Shysal and Sunnysusie would be kind enough to let me know the makes and where to buy their white noise appliances. I’m desperately looking for white noise headphones, not sound blocking headphones. A well known online retailer doesn’t do white noise headphones and my current white noise headphones are SO OLD they’re taped up with sellotape. I have thin walls and ceiling and young boys above me coming and going all the time during the night with all their friends staying overnight all the time. Feel free to send me a personal reply if you want to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is the item that I use, but it is not headphones. I have it beside my bed.
White noise machine

GrannyRose15 Fri 06-Oct-23 12:23:38

I have used Boots wax earplugs for years when I needed to shut out noise and get a good night’s sleep. I find them very effective.

humptydumpty Sat 07-Oct-23 19:01:16

Thanks so much for your responses, everybody. I am beginning to hear the noise again tonight but won't have earplugs until tomorrow, so hoping for the best! I have seriously considered offering to pay for the flat to be carpeted (it would be cheaper than moving home!)