Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the worst gift you've ever been given?

(175 Posts)
HelenLake Tue 19-Mar-24 10:40:11

Let's be honest, we've all received a gift and had to pretend we like it.

Mines probably a henry hoover for Christmas... that sucked πŸ˜… It was a bit of a jokey gift, as my husband told me he won it in a work raffle. He did buy me a really nice necklace that year so he clawed back some brownie points 🀣

Spuddy Tue 19-Mar-24 11:30:26

I don't like makeup and can never see the reason for it. I'm ugly by nature so what you see is what you get. I never use it. The only ''makeup'' I use it black nail varnish but that's it.

When I was 15 I was given a makeup set and was told ''so you can look pretty for your future husband''.

The awful rubbish, unopened and unwanted, went straight in the bin!

Greendress Tue 19-Mar-24 11:34:51

2 squashed Quality Street in a bag tied with ribbon - given to me as a ' Christmas treat' from my hairdresser who I had just paid Β£150 (inc tip)for my colour and cut and taken fizz and expensive chocs for her Christmas treat.

Framilode Tue 19-Mar-24 11:37:51

Not me but my husband. My mother bought him a 5 litre can of Brilliant White paint for his 40th birthday.

nanna8 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:13:34

Dry oranges that they used to give you at Christmas when you were a kid in lieu of decent presents. Also jigsaw puzzles made of paper and nasty chewy toffees in nasty little tins. Story of my life and especially bad as it was my birthday week as well.

Astitchintime Tue 19-Mar-24 12:17:46

Cheap, polyester pyjamas that were two sizes too big and were dispatched to the back of the wardrobe after the first time wearing them - the static they produced would have powered Blackpool illuminations!

henetha Tue 19-Mar-24 12:20:10

My new husband gave me a tin opener for my birthday years ago.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Mar-24 12:25:43

grin

pably15 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:29:38

Framilode

Not me but my husband. My mother bought him a 5 litre can of Brilliant White paint for his 40th birthday.

Framilode.....didn't she like your husband

pably15 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:31:56

who remembers LUCKY BAGS from the 1950...well I got one from my stingy brother at xmas

kittylester Tue 19-Mar-24 12:32:46

A steam iron - he never did that again!!

HomeAgain123 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:34:49

Desk top monthly Seeded calendar from my son nice gift for a gardener which I’m not , worse I thought it was a joke when I opened it and shook it to find my gift πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

MissAdventure Tue 19-Mar-24 12:40:47

My aunt used to buy my mum, me, and my daughter a jumper each for christmas.

They always had really sparkly bits, and huge shoulder pads, and were odd shaped. smile

We wore them on boxing day, regardless, and had a laugh at each other.

shysal Tue 19-Mar-24 12:43:59

I was a bit put out when I received a wheelbarrow for Mothering Sunday when my girls were children. Obviously chosen by my now-ex husband who never lifted a finger in the garden!

Purplepixie Tue 19-Mar-24 12:52:34

A salt and pepper set from my sister in law one christmas. It’s the thought that counts but it was hideous. I later found out that her brother had given her that the christmas before! The charity shop got it.

FannyD Tue 19-Mar-24 12:56:31

My DS, age 5 at the time, bought me a pink plastic pig which pulled apart to reveal drawing pins, for my 40th birthday. I was a teacher and he said teachers always need drawing pins. He had bought it out shopping with dh, who tried in vain to dissuade him saying that mummy used staples at school to put things on the wall. I hope I put on a good show of thanking him!!

M0nica Tue 19-Mar-24 13:04:46

A secondhand mauve petticoat. All wrapped up for Christmas

JenniferEccles Tue 19-Mar-24 13:33:56

I think your tin opener wins henetha!

midgey Tue 19-Mar-24 13:38:09

When I was a young teenager one Christmas every single present I opened was at least one pair of Black Watch tartan stockings!

Jaxjacky Tue 19-Mar-24 13:42:43

My now husband bought me a pair of boots from Evans, I have very slim calves and they were miles too wide, lesson learnt in more ways than one!

bytheway Tue 19-Mar-24 13:42:48

A couple of years ago My adult stepdaughter bought me a craft gift which was a steam engine you build in matchsticks. Not only have I never expressed an interest in Steam Engines but I’m not a crafty person either. My DH saw the exact same one in Lidl a few weeks later for Β£6. At the same time her present to her dad (my OH) was something he wanted that cost about Β£250.

It made me realise how little she thinks of me and upset me greatly.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Mar-24 13:45:28

Oh that's horrible.
I was about to laugh at the thought of the matchstick engine, but I hadn't thought of how these things can hurt someone. (Not matchsticks, per se)

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 19-Mar-24 13:51:50

Years ago, the College secretary (who was rather difficult) where I worked bought me and the Assistant Bursar a pair of slippers each. The type my grandmother wouldn’t have been seen dead in, with a pompon and they were grey. Awful. Straight to the Charity shop. Her successor gave out bottles of fizz at Christmas.

HowVeryDareYou2 Tue 19-Mar-24 13:53:18

my (late) MIL bought me a candle snuffer (we lived in a 2 bedroomed terraced house and didn't even have any candles.

AreWeThereYet Tue 19-Mar-24 13:59:42

Framilode

πŸ˜„

Have to say one of the best Christmas presents I got was a big can of emulsion and some good paint brushes πŸ˜„ We couldn't afford even to DIY much when the children were very young so I begged everyone for paint brushes, rollers, paint, etc for Christmas. DM refused as "it's not a proper present" but siblings rallied round and we managed to decorate ADs bedroom for her birthday.