Gransnet forums

Chat

What are 5 of your favourite small things?

(101 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 14:06:36

In your home, are there 5 things that you enjoy looking at, or find interesting?

Grandchildren don't count, just for this thread. smile

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-24 14:44:35

Ooh, what a good thread MissA.

I have a loving cup given to me by my lovely FiL - given with his love.

My husband bought me a bronze of a family of 6 people ranging in size - to represent our family.

On a shelf in the kitchen us a framed photo of some words from 'our song'.

We have a beautiful rice bowl I bought in Japan when we were there for DS1's wedding. The bowl is still intact.

And, I have flowers currently in a lovely green jug that belonged to my fearsome MiL.

Can I have 6 - I've just remembered a lovely abstract painting by a lady living with dementia. She gave it to me because she loved me.

JamesandJon33 Thu 21-Mar-24 14:47:49

Tiny sculpture of a woman ….by Pea Restall
The first painting I did at art school. 63 years ago
A deep green glass bowl full of sea glass
My silver rings
A small Tibetan singing bowl

Dee1012 Thu 21-Mar-24 14:48:51

A picture of my Dad holding me just after I was born.
A very small stone my son proudly presented me with at the beach 40 years ago!
A small box belonging to my great grandmother with a lovely pattern on the top.
My son's first baby blanket.
A picture of my dogs.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 14:50:33

You can have as many as you like, kitty smile
Any pictures would be welcome too, if anyone feels inclined.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 14:58:04

I need to google a loving cup. smile

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 15:06:25

So, now I know what a loving cup is, and that I really like Pea Restall's artwork.

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-24 15:06:44

And, I obviously have fat fingers as the bronze has 7 people not 6.

There is also a bronze of 2 people standing under an umbrella which, from a certain angle, forms a heart with their heads. Not at home but will post a picture later.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 15:07:44

Oh thanks!! smile
I'd love to see.

Hellogirl1 Thu 21-Mar-24 15:10:12

My wedding and eternity rings,
Our wedding photo,
A turquoise and gold bracelet my husband bought me in Turkey in 1994,
A gold ring set with sapphires that my mother left to me 20 years ago, too small for me, so I wear it as a necklace on a gold chain.
A small collection of various documents received by my mother after my father (RAF) was killed in 1942, 6 months before I was born.

Spuddy Thu 21-Mar-24 15:12:58

1-I know it's daft that here I am at 58 and I love this item but I bought a fluffy grey vibrating mouse from Pets at Home. Pull the tail and it whizzes along the floor! I have it on my desk in our livingroom! Called Nosey! Our cat hates it! www.instagram.com/p/CnOpOWyNKte/

2- I also have this hilarious Floozy mug I found at a book shelter! www.instagram.com/p/CneYK9ptAL7/ www.instagram.com/p/CneYQe-Ndr3/

3-I have a framed photo of our little cat on the Welsh Dresser in the livingroom.

4-A tiny little teddy, Oliver, fully jointed/able to stand, about 3 inches tall, number 205 from Mayfair Collection. I've had him about 30 years. He cost me £50.00 but he's worth every penny! www.instagram.com/p/Ckp_39QtA9g/

5-A pendant my hubby bought me in 2007. Silver chain with a silver cat outline and Amber in the middle. Other than for medical appointments I've never ever taken it off, it's around my neck 24/7/365! ,

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 15:30:48

I like....
My bathroom light pull cord.
A piece of embroidered "something". I'm not sure what it is, it seems to have Indian words on it. (Maybe religious?)
A coaster with Morrissey's face on it, and the lyrics "there is a light that never goes out".
A lava lamp that is really really colourful.
My small shrimp tank.

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-24 15:54:29

My bronze

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 15:57:46

smile
Thanks, that is lovely!
Did you say your husband bought it?

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-24 16:25:23

Yes, he did. I love it. We have a painting by the same artist showing tow people under umbrellas that firm a heart too. He can be very lovely. But he has also bought me a steam iron for Christmas so he isn't perfect.grin

MiniMoon Thu 21-Mar-24 16:28:00

I have a small cup decorated with pansies which belonged to my mother. I always loved it, and one day she told me to take it home.
A photocopy of a pastel portrait of my Dad when he was a little boy. My sister has the original.
A gold and ammolite pendant my husband bought me.
A painting of the sycamore gap tree.
Our cuckoo clock.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 16:29:57

kittylester

Yes, he did. I love it. We have a painting by the same artist showing tow people under umbrellas that firm a heart too. He can be very lovely. But he has also bought me a steam iron for Christmas so he isn't perfect.grin

Almost though!
He buys lovely gifts for you. smile

Greyduster Thu 21-Mar-24 16:30:00

A small piece of sea glass DD picked up on a beach that is shaped like a heart. It came out of the sea like that. It seemed appropriate for us to put it in DH’s memory box.

A pebble covered in fossilised corals - fascinating to look at.
A Blue John pendant that my sisters in law gave me. I love Blue John.

A tiny box framed picture of a jellyfish made of sea glass that GS bought me a couple of years ago.

DH’s wedding ring.

My Father’s Army cap badge that went all through the war with him and which he treasured.

A small china trinket dish that my son bought for Mother’s Day at a flea market when he was eleven, just before he went off to boarding school. It’s almost transluscent and very delicate.

A small silver and cut glass inkwell which is hallmarked London 1887, and was retailed by Aspreys. I collect small silver items but am particularly fond of that (it wants a polish!).

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 16:34:13

Blue John.
Another treasure for me to learn about.
Thank you.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 16:41:37

MiniMoon
Do you use your mums little cup?
Was it part of a set, do you think?

Greyduster Thu 21-Mar-24 16:48:49

Blue John is a mineral that is only found in the Derbyshire Peak District, where craftsmen make it into jewellery. It is becoming very scarce now. I have a few pieces, but in the pendant I spoke the stone is of a modern cut and more attractive I think than the usual veined pieces.

CanadianGran Thu 21-Mar-24 16:49:50

This is a nice thread!

A photo collage frame that my sister did for my birthday with family photos, it's in my office and I enjoy it daily.

A pair of Quimper pottery bowls that my parents bought while on their honeymoon. They are personalized with their names.

A small collection of pottery vases that I have collected over the years, mostly green glazes. Even better with daffodils!

Another small collection of sand and shells collected from out holidays over the years. DH put them in candle jars, and I labelled them with the location/date.

A silly hand written Valentine's Day card that sits in the glass cabinet until brought out again once a year. DH marks the year on the back; I think it's been going for about 20 years.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 16:52:06

I was just reading about blue john.
Its only ever found in Derbyshire, apparently.
It was used as a surround for open fires, years ago, so wiki tells me.

It's really distinctive.

petra Thu 21-Mar-24 16:57:59

I’ve only got photos of 3 at the moment.
The bust of a lady is a replica of the original at Chatsworth.
The silver yacht was a pressy from a dear friend.
The ornament is rats eating from a corn sack.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-24 16:58:38

And now had a look at some Quimper pottery.