Gransnet forums

Chat

Younger people and their thoughts about working

(196 Posts)
Judy54 Fri 22-Mar-24 14:44:14

A young Woman I know aged around 35 has decided to go part time as she says that life is to short to spend all her time at work. She openly admits that she has no savings and is not in a pension scheme. This Lady is single and lives in rented accommodation. What sort of future is she going to have or is she hoping like many young people today that money will be inherited from her Parents so she does not need to bother. If the money goes on care home fees then there will be little or nothing left to inherit. I cannot understand her attitude and that she gives no thought to her future. What do you think?

eddiecat78 Fri 22-Mar-24 14:48:59

I think she may well change her mind if she meets someone and starts a family. My DS was very laid back about money but now he has his own children he's determined to give them a good life. If she continues to be on her own she may well have the right idea!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Mar-24 14:53:42

What does she do with the rest of her time? I’m amazed that she can afford to live alone on a part time wage, and can’t imagine how she can enjoy any sort of life with what’s left over after the bills are paid.

Labradora Fri 22-Mar-24 15:15:53

I don't know why people would think their futures would be guaranteed by "an inheritance". This is risky thinking because , as Judy 54 points out , even if there are assets, they are likely to be consumed by care home fees in these days when fewer people care for their parents at home (not always possible obvs). As well the strains on the NHS are increasingly steering people into the private sector for sometimes essential treatment. Private medicine is expensive so that is another
potential drain on any assets.
It's different for wealthy people with substantial assets but most people are not that.
Those concerns apart , if the young(presumably adult) woman in question has sufficient money to keep herself and keep a roof over her own head then any decisions about work are entirely hers to make.

Galaxy Fri 22-Mar-24 15:16:38

I think lots of people think like this following the pandemic, it completely changed many peoples view of work.

M0nica Fri 22-Mar-24 15:22:51

There have always been care-for-nothings that do not think ahead of their next breath and think they will never grow old. I can remember my parents in law talking of such people in their small town and people of my generation (1960s) who thought the same. Iexpect they have all died or retired, living on Pension credit and complaining about their poverty.

I do not think she is a typical representative of her generation.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Mar-24 15:30:37

We saw an old friend today working at a supermarket check out. He said he retires in 3 weeks but will probably end up having to get another job as he's in rented accommodation and his rent's just gone up by £55 per month.

I felt rather sorry for him, he lives alone and I've often wondered how retirees living in rented accommodation manage.

Theexwife Fri 22-Mar-24 15:32:10

I wonder if she is part time and claims Universal credit, there are too many people tha do this.

Mel1967 Fri 22-Mar-24 15:46:27

I don’t think that it’s anyone’s business, but her own.
There is more to life than work.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Mar-24 15:54:23

There is, so long as you don’t expect the State to top up your part time earnings.

Norah Fri 22-Mar-24 17:29:02

Mel1967

I remember, quite well, being told that life is too short and one only lives once - when I commented a year or so ago that no we wasted not a penny when we were young, no concerts, no trips to the Canaary Islands, nada.

So, which way is it? We were careful young, are quite careful with money as elderly. Posters can't have it both ways, can they?

As long as people earn enough to support themselves - I don't care, at any age. But don't whinge on about money if saving is neglected. Note, I didn't imply all can earn and save, just try.

fancythat Fri 22-Mar-24 17:31:05

Theexwife

I wonder if she is part time and claims Universal credit, there are too many people tha do this.

I wonder this too.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 17:32:18

Mel1967

There is, so long as you don’t expect the State to top up your part time earnings.

Precisely.

She might be sorry one day.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Mar-24 17:35:22

I agree with this too. If someone can afford to work part time and pay their way then good luck to them, but that choice shouldn't be in part financed by everyone else.

Coronation Fri 22-Mar-24 17:39:40

Perhaps she is stressed/burned out in work and needs a break for a short time. It may be a temporary solution. I can't see how people can live alone on part time wages.

M0nica Fri 22-Mar-24 17:42:03

Mell967 it is the responsibility for every fit healthy adult to provide for themselves in life. Why should they live off other people like parasites? Even some less than fit people should be expected to do as much as they can towards self support.

travelsafar Fri 22-Mar-24 17:42:23

My daughter who rents a one bed flat from a local HA works two jobs to be able pay her bills, rent and council tax. She works full time in a very responsible job, then 2 evenings and all day Saturday as a carer. How someone could fund their life on part time wages I really don't know.???

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 17:42:52

Coronation

Perhaps she is stressed/burned out in work and needs a break for a short time. It may be a temporary solution. I can't see how people can live alone on part time wages.

All our GPs are part-time.

eazybee Fri 22-Mar-24 17:45:13

Sad that she has not found work she enjoys.
Living a rootless existence won't bring her contentment.

rafichagran Fri 22-Mar-24 17:47:01

Theexwife

I was going to post this. She probably will work part time, pay her NI so she will get a state pension, and she has realised that by going on UC she will get help with her rent. She will also pay less council tax. She would also be entitled to passported benefits like not paying for prescriptions.
In fact this young woman would ve no worse off financially and posdubl6 even a little better off.

rafichagran Fri 22-Mar-24 17:47:50

Possibly.

silverlining48 Fri 22-Mar-24 17:54:22

My friend’s single daughter decided to go part time at about 40 for no reason other than she wanted more free time.
My friend had already provided a substantial amount of money for her to buy a house so she has no financial worries.
I was astonished. 😲

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Mar-24 17:59:39

Why did I bother?

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 18:04:03

If anyone thinks that they're handed money to top up part time earnings, they will be in for a surprise.

The job centre's mission is to get people working full time, and to make it difficult not to.

pascal30 Fri 22-Mar-24 18:13:06

I think another factor could be worry about her future given the state of the world and predictions of climate change.. not a nice situation for young people.. we have definitely enjoyed a safe life up til now and probably can't fully comprehend the anxieties of being young today..