Gransnet forums

Chat

Good grief! I'm a fashion trendsetter!

(17 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sun 31-Mar-24 12:22:19

Look at this in the newspaper today (The middle one at £269):
And my skirt, which I made for little more than a tenner! I've been considering a more summery one. Into my sewing room to search my fabric stash!

BigBertha1 Sun 31-Mar-24 12:38:11

Well done lovely to be able to be creative and economical.

hollysteers Sun 31-Mar-24 12:45:27

That’s clever and certainly not frumpy!

JaneJudge Sun 31-Mar-24 12:46:55

it is a lovely skirt smile

lizzypopbottle Sun 31-Mar-24 13:01:44

Thanks everyone. Until I made this, I rarely, if ever wore a skirt but I've worn this, and its sister green one loads.

lizzypopbottle Sun 31-Mar-24 13:02:35

No idea why there are two photos the same 🤔

Grammaretto Sun 31-Mar-24 13:08:04

Lovely Lizzy !! Ready for the catwalk 😉

I love saving by not spending money.

baubles Sun 31-Mar-24 13:17:02

That’s a great skirt, how skilled you are.

Aldom Sun 31-Mar-24 13:37:45

Lovely, flattering skirts LP. I like both fabrics too.

Callistemon21 Sun 31-Mar-24 13:42:54

I like yours better, lizzypopbottle
Not as 'bunchy' as the ones in fashion picture.

Years ago, when DD was a little girl, she was desperate to have a RaRa skirt, I could have made one but she had one of her first shop-bought outfits, a RaRa skirt and pretty blouse.

crazyH Sun 31-Mar-24 13:44:46

Very talented 👌

lizzypopbottle Sun 31-Mar-24 13:51:30

Callistemon21 I was shocked to see the one in the newspaper fashion section described as a ra-ra skirt. I always had a hankering after a tiered version but steered clear, telling myself they were for little'uns. I made one for my grandaughter! But my skirt (McCalls 7022 view F) is a more adult version of the ra-ra, I think.

Callistemon21 Sun 31-Mar-24 14:05:40

lizzypopbottle

Callistemon21 I was shocked to see the one in the newspaper fashion section described as a ra-ra skirt. I always had a hankering after a tiered version but steered clear, telling myself they were for little'uns. I made one for my grandaughter! But my skirt (McCalls 7022 view F) is a more adult version of the ra-ra, I think.

Yes, I thought a Ra-ra skirt was layered with two or three tiers

Joseann Sun 31-Mar-24 14:07:57

I thought a ra ra skirt was like the cheerleaders wear. Usually tiered, not pleated?

Well done lizzypopbottle. The dark tights set yours off well.

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-Apr-24 00:28:31

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. I searched my fabric stash for something a bit lighter for summer but found nothing suitable in a big enough piece. Looks like some fabric shopping is indicated. It's a "fabric hungry" pattern with it being a full circle skirt. There's five metres of hem and I've lined it both times.

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Apr-24 03:58:03

I think "ra-ra" (or rah-rah) skirts are in layers too - based on cheerleaders.

I don't think they can be as long as the ones in the newspaper article and definitely need layers. That said, the middle one is really pretty. I would have loved that one years ago. I had two skirts rather like this in the early 80s. I often wore them with leggings! grin. In my mind ra-ras need to be very, very short.

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Apr-24 03:58:47

And yes, Lizzy - very well done!