Gransnet forums

Chat

only fools beep their horn

(47 Posts)
infoman Mon 01-Apr-24 02:05:50

on April the first,
as well as on any other day of the year.
Rule 112 of the Highway Code is very clear on the purpose of vehicle horns, and states that they are only to be used in order to warn another road user of your presence. That means you should never honk as a greeting, or as an expression of annoyance.

RosiesMaw Mon 01-Apr-24 05:59:14

I remember you starting identical threads on 1 April 2023 and 2022- there may even be earlier ones for all I know.

No, impatient, bullying , ill mannered drivers give vent to their frustration by hooting, but they are not necessarily fools (April or otherwise)
On a few occasions it can serve as a useful “Look out” warning too.

infoman Mon 01-Apr-24 07:27:42

Its really nice for you to recall my continued campaign.

To show how bad things are,
I was without a car for a few days, and did a lot of walking and bus riding.You would not believe how many horns I heard beeped, not a me I hasten to add. Just impatient drivers venting their anger on other motorist/s who think they have been wronged by other driver/s. Please keep your hands away from the horn and make it a pleasant environment.

RosiesMaw Mon 01-Apr-24 07:34:06

I wonder what you were doing to occasion this volley of horn beeping?

Mizuna Mon 01-Apr-24 07:45:10

No horn-beeping here (Cornwall) but you've reminded me of when my then teenaged blind daughter came back from Egypt and I asked her what her impressions were of the country. She said, 'Beeping horns and the smell of donkeys.' 😄

Georgesgran Mon 01-Apr-24 09:20:01

Does honking at stupid, suicidal pheasants on my country lane count? Guilty as charged!

tickingbird Mon 01-Apr-24 09:40:05

Goodness me don’t go to Italy then. I think beeping the horn every 5 seconds is obligatory there, especially in Naples. The roads are a cacophony of beeping horns!

Granniesunite Mon 01-Apr-24 09:45:27

Is it frowned upon to start threads on a continuous subject?

henetha Mon 01-Apr-24 09:49:47

I don 't know, sorry.
Just to add that there is very little honking here in rural Devon.
Maybe at the odd sheep in the road occasionally.
It must be very different when living in busy towns or cities with lots of traffic.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 01-Apr-24 09:52:18

tickingbird

Goodness me don’t go to Italy then. I think beeping the horn every 5 seconds is obligatory there, especially in Naples. The roads are a cacophony of beeping horns!

Ah, now know why my Fiat 500 has such a loud hoot for a small car🤣 confessing to being a hooter when constantly being cut up on my local double roundabout 😠

Freya5 Mon 01-Apr-24 09:57:33

infoman

Its really nice for you to recall my continued campaign.

To show how bad things are,
I was without a car for a few days, and did a lot of walking and bus riding.You would not believe how many horns I heard beeped, not a me I hasten to add. Just impatient drivers venting their anger on other motorist/s who think they have been wronged by other driver/s. Please keep your hands away from the horn and make it a pleasant environment.

When you're on a roundabout, and some fool decides to cut you up, because they can't wait two minutes, is deserving of a loud honk.

karmalady Mon 01-Apr-24 09:58:28

what hooters? I don`t think I have ever heard one where I live but then it is a peaceful considerate community in somerset

The most I will do is when on my bike, coming up behind people on a lane, I give a gentle call-out `bike behind` as I don`t want my bell to give an aggressive signal and they need to know not to step sideways

Delila Mon 01-Apr-24 10:05:21

Georgesgran - unfair to pheasants! What do you expect of creatures who’ve been raised in captivity, released to be shot, and when lucky enough to escape, find that we expect them to have road-sense. Give them a fighting chance on the roads 🪶

Georgesgran Mon 01-Apr-24 10:19:32

Oh I do Delila - it’s the cars, vans and taxis that don’t. The lane is a bit of a rat-run now and used like a race track at times - witnessed by the many pheasant, hedgehog and rabbit corpses! An on-coming taxi ploughed into 3 pheasants on Thursday, as I was waiting for them to cross safely.

Grantanow Mon 01-Apr-24 10:47:09

Georgesgran

Does honking at stupid, suicidal pheasants on my country lane count? Guilty as charged!

Well. I suppose stupid pheasants are road users. The Highway Code doesn't say road users are solely humans.

LucyAnna Mon 01-Apr-24 10:52:18

Georgesgran

I was shocked at first - I thought you’d said “stupid suicidal peasants”😂

OldFrill Mon 01-Apr-24 11:03:28

The fish van is guilty, the dog takes it as a personal affront.

Parsley3 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:14:50

karmalady

what hooters? I don`t think I have ever heard one where I live but then it is a peaceful considerate community in somerset

The most I will do is when on my bike, coming up behind people on a lane, I give a gentle call-out `bike behind` as I don`t want my bell to give an aggressive signal and they need to know not to step sideways

I always thank cyclists who indicate their presence behind me if I am walking on a shared path as I don't like being surprised by an overtaking bike.
As for car horns, I rarely hear one. However, if I am picking someone up I may well toot but I never honk.

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:17:46

LucyAnna

Georgesgran

I was shocked at first - I thought you’d said “stupid suicidal peasants”😂

🤣🤣🤣

Georgesgran if you accidentally hit one, you're not allowed to pick it up and take it home for dinner, but a driver coming along behind you can pick it up as road kill.

Apparently.

Sometimes it's deer or sheep round here.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Apr-24 11:22:48

My lovely Granny perfected being the next car Callistemon and often dined on pheasant!

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:25:04

😂 well done her
Serendipity!

Georgesgran Mon 01-Apr-24 11:30:00

I’ve heard of that before Callistemon. Just as well I don’t eat any meat.
Years ago, a deer jumped over a high hedge and landed on DH’s car, killing itself outright. A minivan coming the opposite way stopped (to help?) but merely opened the back doors, and the two chaps picked up the deer, threw it in and drove off.
The poor animal made quite a mess of DH’s car!

dogsmother Mon 01-Apr-24 11:43:08

Not sure I’ve ever used mine.
However when we were in Vietnam it was noticeable that people did use them and it was somewhat polite.

Aveline Mon 01-Apr-24 11:45:23

My poor little car has a really toytown beep. When it was only weeks old I was driving in a car park and saw a big car slowly reverse out towards me. I beeped and beeped but it still drove inexorably into the side of my lovely new car. The other driver claimed he hadn't heard me or saw my bright red car. How I wished I had a really loud horn

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:50:51

Georgesgran

I’ve heard of that before Callistemon. Just as well I don’t eat any meat.
Years ago, a deer jumped over a high hedge and landed on DH’s car, killing itself outright. A minivan coming the opposite way stopped (to help?) but merely opened the back doors, and the two chaps picked up the deer, threw it in and drove off.
The poor animal made quite a mess of DH’s car!

😯

A deer went to leap out on my car once years ago, but luckily it swerved at the last moment and missed.