My husband was a great thrower out, and I tended to keep things, but we worked well together. He would sort out a load of stuff , but I would look it over and delve into the pile, saying "that is the spare thing for the vacuum" etc., and that way we got rid of lots , but I was less anxious by checking things over. We rarely argued over bits, but he was definitely the one to suggest a clear out day.
Now a widow, with various health problems , in particular my back, (which unfortunately has to be a major concern!) but I dont know if any of you find yourself in my situation.
Cant decide whether it is just life, or might be my bloody mindedness, but I can be having a good physical day , but not at all in the mood to sort things out. Alternatively I can be really struggling and creaking round and see much that needs sorting, but not a cat in hells chance of doing anything.!! (Now is that because I know full well that I cant actually do it at that time?)
The best I manage is on days I see what wants doing but cant, I write in large letters on my list of to do jobs. Then I have two forms of getting something done. Either I begrudgingly make the effort to do just one of the many jobs, on a better day, or on the day you look out and it is pouring with rain, absolutely miserable (oh when will that be I ask myself?!!)it can galvanise me to get stuck in and the day will be brightened by my halo shining for having done it!!
I have moved many times both here and abroad, and of course every time , swear that I wont let it get so bad again, but somehow things seem to creep in! Some of it stems from being brought up with parents who had lived through the war, and so not only was it waste not want not, but keeping not just one spare thing, but more if you were able to get it.
Well I did manage to go down from a 3 bedroom house to a flat, so I shall have to hope, on a cooler day, for the impetus to do things to meet the physical ability to do something!!