Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(564 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 21:45:32

I do.
I saw it in Brian yestrrday.

I started a box, full of anything that "sticks things".

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 20:53:32

Do you have any gaffer tape? When my husband left someone gave me some gaffer tape saying ‘you’ll be needing this’. Part of my fridge is held together with it.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 19:57:41

In other news, I've broken the perspex drawer iny fridge freezer.
Decided brute force was needed, so now i need to find some superglue.
Now, where did I put it? smile

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 19:54:18

I've spent the last 18 months gping to and fro to the hospitsl, (more problems, but different ones. I don't want myself today)
Right, enough moaning.
Sorry to go on.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 19:50:41

It could be,I don't know.
I am taking anastrozole, which is making me itch, so I've been taking an antihistamine. (Which doesn't seem to be working!) but the pain is just awful.
I don't know whats causing that.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 19:47:39

Just spent an hour searching for my hand held vacuum which I really need. How can I lose something that big? Could you phone 111 Miss A ? They could give advice and possibly arrange an appointment with your doctor...

HelterSkelter1 Tue 14-Jul-26 18:31:29

MissAdventure Do you think it could be peripheral neuropathy in yout feet often linked with cancer treatment and cancer treatment drugs? Did you have a clinical nurse at the hospital you could contact and ask for advice. Perhaps send the picture. Or send it to the GP.

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 18:22:52

MissA - hope your foot gets sorted out soon.

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 18:22:07

Someone who had to go up into our loft about a year ago[before I had started to tackle it properly] said to his coleague[I had prewarned the man], said "the loft is "busy"!

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 18:17:17

Maw that's a huge amount to get done!
I dread anyone needing to go in my cupboards for anything; i know they will have seen worse, but the embarrassment would stay with me for weeks!

MawsRosie Tue 14-Jul-26 18:12:23

Boiler engineers had to go into the airing cupboard to check the cylinder to my huge shame at the state of it.
So when they went I emptied the airing cupboard and have filled 2 tall bin bags with old towels, bath and pedestal mats (who uses them these days?) and old flannels.
Everything I intend keeping is sorted and laid out in piles on spare double bed and will go back NEATLY tomorrow morning.
I can hardly believe we had so many towels!

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 18:04:45

No, if you walk, however painfully, you're expected to get to the surgery.
I'm not sure what's causing my feet trouble, anyway.
I really don't want to have to go to the surgery, but they're getting worse.
Itchy, but painful, as if they're being run over by a car.

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 18:00:02

Oh no MissA

I expect you don`t even have a district nurse to make you comfortable. Someone kind to tenderly bathe your poor feet

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 17:48:40

Look!'

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 17:47:46

Well, better done than not, so I'd say it counts smile

My feet are so painful today, I need to rest them, I'm sure.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 17:45:36

Spent ages cleaning all of the dog hair out of the condenser in my tumble dryer. Bot sure if that counts as decluttering.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 17:31:33

Ah, I've got those in my kitchen; I've had them for years, and last week, for the first time, one fell down!
I think it's the heat.
I'm not sure they're strong enough to hold all my clutter bags, though.

I've done nothing clutter wise today.

I keep nodding off!

petra Tue 14-Jul-26 17:21:11

MissAdventure

I'm planning to bang some nails on the wall inside Brian.
Not exactly the polished, sophisticated look I want inside my cupboard, but at least I'll be able to hang some stuff up, so it doesn't take up floor room.
As it is, I've boxes of stuff, which simply doesn't all need to be in boxes.

Anyway, it's an evolving situation, so putting up something like shelving may not suit as I clear and tidy.

At least i can pull out nails, a blob of filler, and the job's a goodun.

MissA
These stick on hooks are brilliant. They stick like the proverbial to a blanket. 😂

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335044277146?var=544270441753

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 17:11:31

The recent deaths in the news, two people at 78, same age as me. I think that is what incentivised me. I Last time I `sorted` the fabric stash was four years ago and truly it was only tidied and I did not wear the Marie Kindo hat then

I have taken every single item out of the many cupboards and this time if I didn`t at least like it, then it went into the ginormous heap on the landing floor. Now I have finished, bagged all of it apart from 3 little lengths that were a mistake. 6 heavy black bags of fabric lengths to put into my car later (when the neighbours have gone in, I am too tired to be caught in a chat

I will start to distribute the bags tomorrow and hope to finish by tea time.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 14-Jul-26 13:27:49

Push the boat out and bite the bullet MissAdventure. At least agency staff will turn up. Well should turn up!

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 11:25:24

I think that's what I'm going to have to do.
I really didn't want to pay agency prices, but I can't manage without some help at the moment.
I've been saying it for around two years, now!

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 10:24:30

MissA try an agency, they can get hold of someone else if your cleaner isn`t available

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 10:23:12

oh crikey, I forgot about the big boxes of bits under my desk and the box of silk fabrics and I know there is a large box of lace in another area. I was too shattered last night, it creeps up so this lot can wait, until tomorrow. I don`t want to be over-shattered again, it isn`t nice

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 10:19:22

Not a word, so, it's left me in a mess, as I'd left bits and bobs to ensure there would be a couple of hours work for her.

It'll take me all day, as I'm having to rest so much, and havng "arm trouble". (Woe is me!) smile

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 10:18:46

I am jiggered, at it hammer and tongs. 4 cupboards done, haha if you can count the piles of fabric on the floor

I am never going to make leggings, nor skin tight drapey dresses nor pencil thin wool skirts nor another coat and that is only some of it. It is going to take me weeks to slowly take everything to the charity shops. My landing is overflowing with at least three big piles. Nice fabrics back in the day but that day has well and truly gone

In the middle of all that, I can`t just have a break oh no, I have to prep veggies for my meal, serves me right for picking it last night. I`ll probably resume after lunch, I cannot just go on like an automaton. I have two more cupboards to empty and sort and I want to stay focused to keep the files and fabric samples accurate

I can`t be doing this again