Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 29th September 2026

(49 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 29-Sept-26 04:54:02

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and there as been some overnight rain here in Brackley today.
the usual routine with bus trip to Bicester leaving earlier , will have a coffee and snack ,and then get my haircut before I chat and say hello to those I know .
I then after lunch will take Urine sample to my surgery as requested by my Doctor after the Blood Test lastweek.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

monk08 Tue 29-Sept-26 07:35:25

Good morning all from the Black country where we have had overnight rain.
Yesterday was a lovely sunny day so spent time in the garden can always find something to do.
No luck with finding any vases in the charity shop but will keep looking.
Nothing planned for today other than some milk and a few bits from Iceland.
grandMattie when we had our cooking apple tree after distributing amongst friends and neighbours any surplus got left in a box on the front lawn with a note to help yourself they soon went.
Take it easy today Madeleine.
Well the washing has just finished so will go and sort it out.
Will come back later to catch up with everybody's happenings.
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans.

Georgesgran Tue 29-Sept-26 07:36:23

Good morning from a still, dull Durham. I think rain is forecast. DGS2 was sent home from school yesterday with a heavy cold, so I didn’t return Little Dog. DD2 is driving to Edinburgh for work today, so the dog might be staying with me a little longer - it’s a long story, so a complete change of plans today. Must get milk and some bits and bobs, but basically just a day in/near home with the dog minding, happy to do it, if it helps.
I have apple trees which are weighed down with fruit this year - friends have taken some, but the rest goes in the bin, as no-one wants it.

Best wishes to all. X

brook2704 Tue 29-Sept-26 07:39:56

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve a gorgeous pink sky and another lovely day is forecast
Oh goodness madeleine what a day you had, I hope you can rest a bit and recover today
I’ve a busy day ahead, firstly an online volunteering session this morning followed by a quick class at the gym and then finally a volunteering session at the hospital this afternoon. I won’t be home until about 4.30 so I’m going to get a something in the slow cooker this morning and let it work it’s magic
A very Happy 18th to your DGD kitty enjoy the cake later! 🎂
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Tue 29-Sept-26 07:41:27

I forgot to say thank you for the £10 love you x

Just got that message from the Boy Wonder
I’m loving my week 😊

Gingster Tue 29-Sept-26 07:48:40

Good morning all and it’s damp but I don’t think our little corner will have much rain.

I had a phone call yesterday lunchtime from the carpet people who said they come come today at 9 o’clock. I didn’t want to turn it down as I know they’re busy and have a staff shortage.

DS1 couldn’t come to help clear the rooms as he was taking clients out after work and Dd was out and wouldn’t be back until early evening. Oh dear.
Our upstairs is small with two bedrooms and a very small landing and I wondered where I would put everything.
I phoned the shop back and said could they just do one bedroom today and the other another time.
Dd will come in after school drop off and help me move stuff I couldn’t in my own and the fitters will have to do the rest.

I do miss Dh being able to take charge with me just being his assistant.

I hope to go to Bridge this afternoon as it’s my favourite pastime . We’ll see!
Dd will help me restore the room.

Madeleine what a Trojan you are. You are our very own Boudicca. Take it easy today.

Take care all 🌻

Redcar Tue 29-Sept-26 07:49:43

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. It’s cloudy at the moment and a bit damp out. A warm sunny day is forecast but I’m on dog and child minding duty at DD1’s today, so no gardening.
I had a good chat with a friend over coffee and cake at Hyde Hall gardens, then a wander round their shop and bought some more bulbs.
madeleine how typical that the trains (or lack of them) should mess up your carefully laid plains. Cable theft is a problem here again. I hope you have a more relaxing day today.

fgt good news for you yesterday evening! Like you I have two pensions landing in my bank account this week, always good to see the money there.

theweirdo not a pleasant encounter for you, there are some very odd people about! Look after yourself!

I’ll come back later and finish reading all your posts. Have the best day you can everyone.

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Sept-26 07:53:57

Good morning from a damp Leicestershire.

Not much happening except a little gardening. My gardener seems to have gone awol!
Pilates this afternoon although I take it easy as my back is still troubling me.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Marzipan22 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:10:38

Good morning from an overcast Cornwall where thankfully rain is forecast this afternoon.

My son and I had a fabulous roast dinner at a nearby pub on Sunday. I've never tasted food like it. Afterwards he came back to my place and we watched Legomasters together. We had lots of laughs, he is an absolute tonic.

Yesterday I was at my new sewing group of inspirational ladies. Sat next to one making lace which was fascinating. Someone had spotted that I like denim and brought me a very large piece which will make either a jacket or a pair of trousers. It's new, which I've never worked with before. A real treat and such a kind gesture bearing in mind she'd met me only once before. As I mentioned previously I've found my tribe and oh what a joy it is.

Today it's a walk on a nearby beach, coffee at the café there, then a bus ride to my doctor's for an appointment after which I fancy crossing the county to Perranporth as I'm missing those vast and lovely sands quite a bit.

Here's a cat that is carried by his owner on buses I use regularly and always seems very contented.

latedecember1963 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:13:28

Hope the Ofsted goes well for your daughter and her colleagues, FriedGreenTomatoes. 🙏🤞

Marydoll Tue 29-Sept-26 08:13:51

Good morning all from Glasgow, yesterday afternoon was glorious here, but we have rain forecast today.

Well done, Madeleine! Take it easy today.

Yesterday, I planted only three cyclamen into the hanging basket at the front door, That was enough, I was exhausted. My poor garden has been sadly neglected,
By afternoon, I am fit for nothing these days. My world continues to get smaller. 😪

I had forgotten, that yesterday was the September weekend and having trailed to the pharmacy, found it was closed. I need to return today.
I should have remembered, we got married on the Friday of the September weekend! 🥰

Passing through Asda, I spotted a kettle with an £8 reduction. Result, that saved me looking for one.

I hope Stilllearning is improving,💐

Have a good day folks.

BlueSapphire Tue 29-Sept-26 08:30:59

Good morning everyone from a rather damp Northampton, 14°C; supposed to rise to 25° after lunch!

Took yesterday fairly easy, but I did manage to get the en-suite tidied and cleaned. Had a sort through my make-up and chucked out stuff that has been sitting around and unused for ages. Did the same with toiletries. I have to decide what I'm taking on holiday!

A bit of quiet pottering today, before making a ham, pea and veg soup for dinner tonight. Really enjoyed my ham egg and chips last night!

My cough seems a bit easier so am keeping my fingers crossed.

Now to go back and read your posts, so will wish everyone a pleasant day.

EkwaNimitee Tue 29-Sept-26 08:32:56

Good morning Mick and everyone. It's a crisp, sunny day here in Carlisle and I have just returned from a refreshing walk in the park.
Yesterday was just the routine housework in the morning and a lot of time spent in front of the computer in the afternoon with necessary admin and research on holidays.
In the evening I watched more of Middlemarch. It's an old production and it was fun trying to remember the names of the then much younger actors, many still famous. I did immediately spot the young Rufus Sewell though.
Today will be bathroom cleaning and I hope to kick a**e and get the rest of those crocuses in the lawn. The weather seems better than forecast earlier in the week but can change rapidly of course.
Those trains Madeleine! I don't often get a trouble free trip myself, I'm an expert at getting refunds. However, you won out where lesser mortals would not have.

And wishing you all a pleasant day...

Grammaretto Tue 29-Sept-26 08:36:24

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Quiet and dry so far.

One thing a day is my mantra.
I'd have given up at the first hurdle Madeleine! I'm in awe!

Yesterday my neighbour came to help to clear but as soon as he saw the extent of the job he organised a skip which will arrive today.

Meanwhile I plodded on with sorting the different materials and gave away my trailer to the Mens Shed.

My Bramley trees are full of apples but I've no time to pick them. The new people will have that treat.

Gaelic homework in time for class tonight. 😕
Your sewing group sounds fun Marzipan

I hope Stilllearning is okay.

I hope all those who are unwell are improving and on the mend.

The skip has arrived!

glammagran Tue 29-Sept-26 08:36:31

Good morning from Wiltshire.

Thank you for sending me birthday greetings yesterday. It meant a lot as we did nothing at all and saw nobody. DH is still unwell and spent a lot of the day lying down. After a week he is still Covid positive. We just had a quick meal from the freezer and an early night. We hope we can pickup after school on Thursday as unusually DD2 is working an extra day this week.

They are having new energy pipe work laid and the front garden was dug up to lay the new pipes yesterday. Unfortunately the workmen severed the main electrical cable so they had no power to their house last night. I hope it’s sorted asap.

What an arduous day you had yesterday Madeleine (DD2’s name incidentally). I’m glad you can continue to drive. Rest up today.

Have a good Tuesday all.

madeleine45 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:36:56

Thank you all for your kind words. I am following your good advice and have done very little quite slowly! Am now just going to get my boots on and then get the washing and the peg bag and sally forth to the washing line to get everything pegged up before my next plan. It is quite grey but a little breeze so hopefully it should dry a bit anyway. Then it is again time to put on the boudicaa or valhalla mask as I am about to go to the railway station, and find out about claiming back some money from the wretched railway. Have never done this before, but after yesterdays shambles and having had to fork out for a taxi (shock , horror to a yorkshire woman!) which in no way would I have contemplated , I actually think I am entitled to claim that as well, but no doubt they will say that is not their concern. But without it I would have missed my appointment and had to do the whole horrible journey again! Anyway I am very determined that they will pay me something on principle!

I do feel sorry for them regarding the stolen copper things, but surely by now we have heard of enough being stolen that you would think someone would be planning ways to deal with that. I immediately think of some form of invisible paint or marker on lengths,or as they no doubt buy huge amounts of the stuff, surely they could organise for it to be made to a slightly different formula, like portuguese gold was 22 carat, and easily picked out, so some acceptable chemical addition or having a slightly lesser or more than the "normal" amount would deter the thieves and make tracing them easier. Oh well of course common sense is not the first "go to"ideas that heads of companies have.

I think perhaps I could set up a "Go To "granny scheme, This could include many GN's as with our many and varied experiences over the years, I bet we could provide at least 3 different ideas on how to deal with problems, which didnt include getting a "consultant" at vastly inflated prices who in the end tells you what you already knew!! How about it folks? I reckon we could have branches of " grannies with gumption" or "grannies who have seen it all before" or more as my dad used to say - not about grannies though "grannies "let the dog see the rabbit". I find these annoying and boring quiz things or everything being made into a competition between groups rather than putting good ideas for all to share. But I bet we could definitely win if the quiz was to "find a practical and efficient solution that doesnt cost the earth" hands down. Come to think of it we could do the Grannies versus Grandchildren. That might shake them up a bit, when the "dear old granny" as they think of us uses her brain and experience to beat them hands down!! We would welcome any grandparents to our midst, but they would have an entry test where they would have to do at least two jobs at once , whilst organising a family on a trip out and getting a picnic ready within a time scale. Easy peasy for those of us who have mastered such occasions over the years!! Enjoy your day and I will let you know what if anything I managed to wrestle from the railway station. Well it should at least be enough to buy me a decent coffee from Neros.

Bellasnana Tue 29-Sept-26 08:38:15

Marzipan thanks for sharing the photo of the sweet, contented puss.🥰

Ziplok Tue 29-Sept-26 08:49:55

Good morning all.
Quite dreary here at the moment. I’ve got a bit of washing to put out but unless it dries up a bit it will have to be dried indoors.
Goodness, Madeleine that was quite a day. No wonder you were shattered when you got home. Try to have a relaxing day today if you can.

glammagran Tue 29-Sept-26 08:52:27

DD2 just said the electric company turned up at 10:30pm and found the damage worse than expected. They had to dig up the road and didn’t finish till 3:30am. She said all their neighbours must hate them.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Sept-26 08:55:11

Morning, the sun is peeking through cloud in S Hants, due to be warmer, it was chilly last night. I’ve just spent 45 minutes on admin, the voluntary phone was very busy yesterday.
Well done Madeleine perseverance and determination, admirable.
I need to request a repeat prescription on the NHS app today, the pharmacy is getting slower, so I’m allowing extra time.
Thinking of Stilllearning I do hope she is ok, good news from Blossoming last night.
I’m hoping to hear from my garden helper today, need to split some grasses and prune peonies, plus hoe up the weeds.
Have a pleasant day all.
🦩🦩

grandMattie Tue 29-Sept-26 09:03:19

greyduster, what I have done with a mega-harvest of sloes is to make sloe jelly. Using apple as base, I cook it all together, strain it, etc. it makes a heavenly jelly, and even nicer if a slug of gin is added before bottling!
batty, I sell my preserves in church to raise funds. Money of my jam pans was given to me by a farmer’s wife neighbour many years ago. A precious item. My grandmothers were far too grand to cook! Leave make preserves…. What were servants for?

GrannySomerset Tue 29-Sept-26 09:08:50

Madeleine for Prime Minister! Hope you get some satisfaction from the train company after a horrendous day yesterday and that you get your breath back soon. Not sure I would have been as brave and determined and am full of admiration.

Wonderful Cleaner is here and muttering about windows so may have to tackle the downstairs inside which need attention but my back is awful for no good reason so we will see. I love Tuesday because the house will be at its best, the garden was attended to yesterday and for a day or two my little world is just as it should be. Sad how little it takes to please me these days.

harrigran Tue 29-Sept-26 09:10:44

Good morning from an overcast NE. It will be around 16° today but no rain forecast.
Yesterday was a boring day, after cleaning the kitchen I retired to the study to do some admin work.
Doing preparation for tax form only to find that I did not have relevant bank statements, they insist on going paperless now. Kept getting timed out on the online bank so gave up.

My sister rang me and asked if I wanted her to do shopping for me, we are going to a birthday party on Saturday and wondered if I wanted a gift to take. The invitation was quite specific, no gifts for an 85th birthday but she had bought a very large jigsaw 🤨
Sister is visiting this afternoon and wants to play Scrabble again while we have tea and cake.
Have the best day you can.

Melanie61 Tue 29-Sept-26 09:37:40

Good morning from Sheffield
I’m a bit late this morning as I took receipt of a handheld steamer for cleaning and I’ve been steaming anything that stands still this morning ,but I’ve had enough now
I am meeting my sister-in-law for coffee in a bit so that will be nice
Thank goodness Madeleine you are back safe and sound. I did worry about you last night. I kept checking to see if you’d put anything on the good morning post. I hope it has put your mind to rest a little bit. and that you can sort out with the diabetes nurse further treatment.
Take care everyoneflowers