Gransnet forums

Chat

Pavement or ‘Footway’?

(6 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:27

Walking through town this morning, the inevitable roadworks and cones scattered about.

Plus a sign saying ‘Footway Closed’.

Footway?

Did they mean ‘pavement’?

Yes, I think they did.

When did our pavements turn into footways?

Cossy Thu 01-Oct-26 13:59:58

Ours haven’t grin

Cossy Thu 01-Oct-26 14:00:44

At least it didn’t say “sidewalk” Footpath understand

Fallingstar Thu 01-Oct-26 14:21:52

Would always say pavement or footpath.

Graphite Thu 01-Oct-26 14:24:46

Footway is a perfectly good and legitimate word meaning specifically:

A way or path used chiefly or exclusively by pedestrians; a footpath.

2014 Plymouth Herald: We carry out regular inspections of the city's footways and roads but defects can develop very quickly.

Whereas pavement means just that:

A paved surface formed of stones, bricks, tiles, or similar materials fitted closely together.

There is also foot pavement which combines the two.

A pavement might be used by people with wheeled vehicles, bikes, scooters, wheelchairs.

Footway comes from German and pavement from French.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 01-Oct-26 14:26:10

I came across footway a few years ago when I contacted Bear about repairs to a pavement for which they had responsibility, so I assume it must be the technical term used by transport firms.