Gransnet forums

Chat

What would be the worst figure of speech if you took them literally?

(41 Posts)
Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:54:01

It's raining cats and dogs

Cossy Sun 04-Oct-26 18:51:54

Talking out of one’s a**e 😱

Cossy Sun 04-Oct-26 18:54:58

(Sorry!)

S**t for brains

StTrinians Sun 04-Oct-26 19:01:50

See you later alligator.
In a while crocodile.
...Yikes. grin

Casdon Sun 04-Oct-26 19:17:08

They keeping coming to me while I’m doing other things

As bent as a nine bob note
Slow down or you’ll meet yourself coming back

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:39:47

So sharp he could cut himself
Needles and pins

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:40:23

An eye for an eye

travelsafar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:52:59

If the cap fits wear it

Shes all fur coat and no knickers

Bukkie Sun 04-Oct-26 20:05:09

I would walk on hot coals for.....

JenniRen Sun 04-Oct-26 20:13:26

grannyjan2

Sixth form A level French gave us access to the giant Lascelles and Cassells dictionaries in the school library. Reading through all the entries for phrases involving eyes had my friends and I literally collapsing in forbidden laughter .. I can't really remember any of them now, but a couple already mentioned were definitely there.

grannyjan2 I have a Cassells dictionary on the shelf, it belonged to my mother-in-law from when she was at school.
Must take a look inside.

Tight as a duck's a*se

boheminan Sun 04-Oct-26 20:27:57

'Picking (somebody's) brain'

Calendargirl Sun 04-Oct-26 20:29:23

Laughing on the other side of your face.

🤷‍♀️

JenniRen Sun 04-Oct-26 20:31:42

boheminan

'Picking (somebody's) brain'

Oh yes, that is revolting if taken literally!

Shel1951 Sun 04-Oct-26 20:32:35

Lend me your ear

Retread Sun 04-Oct-26 20:36:20

If the shoe was on the other foot (it would be damn uncomfortable 😄).

NotAGran55 Sun 04-Oct-26 20:43:54

I laughed my head off.