Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas. Is it too early?

(13 Posts)
Passiflora1 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:51:49

I went to my local garden centre the other day…to buy plants, no less. It was full-on Christmas tat everywhere. Very little in the way of plants, unless it was Christmassy red berries. I despair, October has only just begun. I for one don't need this.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:05:38

Far too early! Though it’s also made me want to start planning 🤣😂🤣

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:09:06

We have a large family, if I do not start early I would be running around in utter panic closer to the day 🙀

I like to have all gifts purchased, wrapped and cards sent by 1st December, then I can concentrate on decorating the house (I do upstairs and all bedrooms) and enjoying all the festive season has to offer, including the religious aspects.

AGAA4 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:15:13

For me it's too early to think about Christmas. I will be pumpkin picking with my DGS later in the month for Halloween. I may start to think about it after that.

Oldnproud Wed 07-Oct-26 15:16:17

I feel the same - I would prefer shops to stick mainly to selling things relating to the current season, not one that is several months away. Or at the very least, make sure that they still have a good stock of of all the usual gardening paraphernalia still out on display.
Especially annoying if you go looking for something specific that you need right now, and it has been cleared away make room for this other stuff.

For the next couple of months, when I visit garden centers I will only go in the sections that have genuine garden-related on display.

Fallingstar Wed 07-Oct-26 15:16:19

Is just the biggest retail sales fest, they would probs put their stuff out in May if they thought there would be buyers.
I ignore it completely until I am ready to think of Christmas, and that won’t be for some time yet.

Oldnproud Wed 07-Oct-26 15:30:34

I can understand why they do it - and if one place starts early, they all need to if they dont want to lose out, but that doesnt stop me from really hating it.

When I become ruler of the World, I will ban any shops from doing this before a certain date - certainly no earlier than mid / late November for Christmas goods. If people dont like that, they will have to start to plan further ahead and buy in the January sales instead grin

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:39:24

GrannyGravy13

We have a large family, if I do not start early I would be running around in utter panic closer to the day 🙀

I like to have all gifts purchased, wrapped and cards sent by 1st December, then I can concentrate on decorating the house (I do upstairs and all bedrooms) and enjoying all the festive season has to offer, including the religious aspects.

Well done, I do wish I was more like you!

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:39:44

Oldnproud

I can understand why they do it - and if one place starts early, they all need to if they dont want to lose out, but that doesnt stop me from really hating it.

When I become ruler of the World, I will ban any shops from doing this before a certain date - certainly no earlier than mid / late November for Christmas goods. If people dont like that, they will have to start to plan further ahead and buy in the January sales instead grin

🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Grannybags Wed 07-Oct-26 15:47:06

Oldnproud when I become Ruler of the World I'll ban Christmas altogether!! 😁

Passiflora1 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:58:51

AGAA4

For me it's too early to think about Christmas. I will be pumpkin picking with my DGS later in the month for Halloween. I may start to think about it after that.

I’m not too bothered about Halloween, but I do think we miss out on the glories of autumn. We overlook the wonderful colours and changes that autumn brings in favour of tinsel!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 16:06:27

Passifloral I cannot abide tinsel it has been banned ever since I had my first home.

I prefer poinsettias (red and white) along with vases full of winter foliage with a few flowers.

Must be a real Christmas tree, and natural swags on banisters and fireplace etc.

TillyTrotter Wed 07-Oct-26 16:39:26

Your house sounds heavenly at Christmas GrannyGravy and I can fully appreciate the amount of effort, planning and enthusiasm you put into it. 🎄 🎅 👼 ⛄️