Gransnet forums

Chat

Dry January - how are you doing?

(43 Posts)
suzied Wed 25-Jan-17 05:44:09

It's day 25 and I was wondering how those who started Dry January were doing? I finding it ok, if a little boring. It's book group tonight in a pub, I would usually have a glass of wine, but tonight I'll have a lime and soda.☹️. I haven't noticed any great benefits, I am still eating the Christmas chocolates, so I don't think I'll have saved any calories.
I've heard of other people doing Runuary ( going for a run every day in January) and Veganuary ( vegan for January). I wonder what will be thought up for February?

NanKate Wed 25-Jan-17 06:37:22

Well done for keeping going Suzied.

I had a dry January last year and found it quite hard. Although I too didn't notice any real benefits, it did make me more aware that I was a regular drinker (3 or 4 days a week) of small amounts of alcohol. I am a bit more discerning now and have reduced down the number of days I have a drink, mainly as I want to lose a few pounds.

Bellasnana Wed 25-Jan-17 07:24:35

I'm still sticking with it, suzied. I don't really miss it that much but neither do I feel any better for it. I also seem to be stuffing myself with the wrong sort of food! I suppose I had got into the habit of having a glass of wine at 6pm and, as I don't drink anything except coffee and tea, instead of a drink at 6pm, it has turned into an unhealthy snack. Roll on February. My liver will just have to take its chances grin

NfkDumpling Wed 25-Jan-17 07:40:50

I did a dry February last year (shortest month!). I didn't feel any better for it, but it did help me to cut down my intake and I've maintained this so only have a glass of something maybe two or three times a week. Having discovered and learned to love Becks Blue I often avoid alcohol for a week or two without trying. But like Bellasnana I've got into snacking instead.

So this year I'm going to try a snack-free February. Nothing that's wrapped between meals. No biscuits, choc bars etc. I'm hoping that loosing a pound or two may help my resolve and I may manage to carry it forward to Lent.

Greyduster Wed 25-Jan-17 08:18:47

I'm a failure this year I'm afraid. I have had two glasses of wine and a glass of beer since 11th, which is not a lot in the great scheme of things but in each case we have been eating something that I have really fancied a drink with. Well done to all who are sticking to it - onward and upward!

Christinefrance Wed 25-Jan-17 08:52:22

I'm girding my loins for a chocolate free month. Don't know if I have the will power - help.

GadaboutGran Wed 25-Jan-17 10:08:47

My granny referred to February as February fill dyke. Interpret how you wish.

Neversaydie Wed 25-Jan-17 10:24:37

I've done dry months several times, just to prove I could I suppose .The first time I lost weight. The others none at all. I suspect I snacked instead .I'm not a heavy drinker anyway and generally stick to the weekends only rule we operated when working
I 'persuaded ' DH to join me once. He hated it . If I don't drink he will drink more I.e. the whole of an opened bottle of wine not just half. Which isn't good for him ...
Good Luck to those of you doing it I've decided everything in moderation and life is too short to deny myself a real pleasure

Crazygrandma2 Wed 25-Jan-17 10:28:09

I'm with Neversaydie - everything in moderation and having reached thus far I am certainly not going to deny myself any of the pleasures of life.

Nona4ever Wed 25-Jan-17 10:28:54

I'm a fairly consistent drinker the rest of the year but this month I'm managing dry January really well - I find it easier to give up completely than ration my intake. I give up in January most years and also do it for Lent but have 2 problems. One is people who think they can persuade you just to have one glass - it can't harm surely? No, it won't harm, but please mind your own business. The other problem is that about a week in I get the most crippling headaches which I'm told is the process of de-taxing. They really are debilitating, but once I'm past that stage I really do feel generally better and certainly sleep more soundly. So nearly win/win.

schnackie Wed 25-Jan-17 10:44:00

I do Dry Winter every year mainly to save money. But I never seem to lose any weight which is distressing as I'm a real lager lass the rest of the year. I know that I'm not eating any more! Thanks to Gransnet I discovered what a rebounder is ( mini trampoline) and got one for £35 from Amazon, as I won't go out unless really necessary. A bit agoraphobic. Anyway I'm happily jumping between 5000 and 7000 steps a day according to my fitbit (gift from DD) so hoping this may shift a few pounds.

KatyK Wed 25-Jan-17 10:50:05

I admire all of you who are doing this smile Personally, I am under enough pressure at the moment without depriving myself of a couple of drinks to help me relax.

Veda Wed 25-Jan-17 11:03:07

I recently reached the Year land mark of being alchohol free. I am very happy. My daughter once got prosecuted for being over the limit the following morning. It gives a big freedom not to drink. I gave up smoking too. Ohhh I'm such a saint. ??

Lilyflower Wed 25-Jan-17 11:40:53

I am having a very good dry January because I ignored it. I don't drink in the week, drink moderately at the weekend and eschew Puritanism altogether.

I also read a doctor's opinion that 'bant and binge' is bad for you. Much better to have alcohol free days every week of the year than give up for a set time.

Lynker Wed 25-Jan-17 11:48:40

I am still on course with dry January, despite having attended a couple of family get togethers recently. My son and daughter who joined me, have both fallen off the wagon! I have slept better and I have also lost a few pounds, which is an added bonus. My next decision is whether to continue into February!

Legs55 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:56:07

February fill dyke refers to the fact that we often get heavy snow in February, as a dyke is a ditch (wet or dry) these would be full of snow!

I have often had long spells without alcohol (usually when I've started drinking too much). After Pneumonia in 2015 I was advised to go alcohol free which I did for 15 months, I now have an occasional glass of wine, I've discovered an alcohol free cider & also some of the rose wines are to my taste, but I would not describe myself as teetotal & refuse to go along with being told "to go dry for a month".

I don't feel any better when I don't drink, no health benefits I can feel, maybe my Liver tells a different story but it's not telling megrin

Ruthyo Wed 25-Jan-17 11:56:41

Great! Dry white wine, dry cider, dry gin! grin

grandMattie Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:38

Once again, DH has gone dry, although we drink little, regularly but not a lot. He whinged throughout last year's January. I threatened to leave him if he did the same this year. So far, he is still on the wagon, and hasn't whinged either. the threat seems to have worked! grin
(BTW where do you all get your fancy emoticons?)

Daddima Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:53

Ruthyo, you just beat me to it! Dry Martini too, for a wee change.

TheGlovers1 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:02:41

I failed on day 6 ! Went to the pub and said to my husband I will have a Diet Coke ,he bought me my favourite cider instead and it was rude not to drink it. Oh well there's always next year!

NonnaW Wed 25-Jan-17 13:46:29

Did it ok last year, failed miserably this year. Oh well, try again another time.

mollie Wed 25-Jan-17 14:33:45

I'm doing fine, not missing alcohol at all. Started without knowing about Dry January, wanted to see if it made a difference. Not sure if it has but I don't feel worse so that's ok.

David1968 Wed 25-Jan-17 15:46:14

As I mentioned when the "Dry January" thread came up earlier this month, DH and I decided to go for a "Drier January" as we knew we'd a better chance of success with this. Definitely have cut down!

sue1169 Wed 25-Jan-17 15:49:40

Well my thinking is that at my age..64..a month is a long time to deprive myself of something that I enjoy ...a nice glass of red!? I love the look of it.the sound of pouring it..and the taste...feet up.relax...sip?

namo Wed 25-Jan-17 16:54:26

I'm finding it really hard. I'd got into the habit of needing a drink too often. I felt uncomfortable with myself. I'm doing Dry January for my own self esteem really. To prove to myself that I am in control. Just had another cup of tea. Not the same. Hope my liver appreciates.