Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a Bad afternoon

(93 Posts)
sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:09:24

In a bit of a shock after what happened earlier.. I was busy cleaning the house and my grandkids were about and there was a knock at the door. I went to see and to my shock it was the police. Turns out, that I was being accused of shoplifting. I was absolutely gobsmacked. I couldn't believe it that I asked her to repeat the details.

Apparently, this was on October 10th. The police wanted to take me down to the station, but they could see I had my grandkids so I have to go there either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Its making me feel like a criminal and is getting me down I haven't done anything of the sort. Im sure the officer did not have my name, so Im wondering if someone gave a false address. God, what a mess!

midgey Mon 23-Oct-17 17:15:03

Sounds like you need a cup of tea! What a horrible thing to happen, hope it gets sorted out quickly.

nanaK54 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:17:19

How awful for you flowers hope it all gets sorted quickly for you

Bellanonna Mon 23-Oct-17 17:17:34

Sounds really odd. I hope it gets sorted quickly!

Bellanonna Mon 23-Oct-17 17:18:34

Nana, I didn’t see your post and wasn’t copying your words!

fiorentina51 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:20:51

Sounds very odd. Phone the police station to check it out.

MawBroon Mon 23-Oct-17 17:28:09

When DD did her management training with M&S I am sure she told me that shoplifters had to be challenged leaving the premises and I think certain criteria had to be met, including opportunity, intent, visual confirmation and possession.
I suppose CCTV might have done away with the “eyeballing” but what possible evidence could they have if they cannot prove you have the offending item? Fair enough you might have picked something up, even taken it to a window or door for better light, but you could just as easily have then replaced it.
We’re you actually IN the shop in question on the day and at the time they say?
It sounds to me as if whoever is on fairly shaky ground.
I would go in all guns blazing (and frankly I don’t see why you should have to report to a police station anyway.)

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:44:45

I have called the police station and was told the officer who spoke to me wasnt available at the moment.

My friend has spoke to their solicitor and his advice was not to bother with a solicitor unless they press charges. The solicitor said I had nothing to worry about tho doesnt stop me thinking that I have.

Mapleleaf Mon 23-Oct-17 17:47:07

Seems a bit odd to me sharonberry - are they genuine? How did they get your address? Did they show you any ID?
Ring the station first, make sure they are who they say they are. It's all very bizarre.

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:48:00

And yes I was in the shop in question on that day.

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:49:00

Mapleleaf it was genuine as there was ID

harrigran Mon 23-Oct-17 17:52:03

How the hell did they know where you lived if you were not approached as you exited the premises ? Sounds to me as though someone has given your name and address and basically you have been framed.

judypark Mon 23-Oct-17 17:54:01

This does not sound right at all. Anyone seen shoplifting will be challenged by a member of staff or store detective on leaving the store, taken to the security office until police arrive. The police will then search your bags.
There is no way the store or police can access your address from CCTV.
Does sound like somebody has used you address.

MawBroon Mon 23-Oct-17 17:55:48

Fiorentina has a point. Were they genuine or might it be it a ruse to get you out of the house?
Did they go anywhere that you couldn’t see (eg the loo) or kitchen - thinking something could possibly be “planted” (I read too many crime books!’

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:56:38

My thoughts also harrigran, which makes me feel even worse as it feels like a strong allegation made against me. I know I haven't done anything,

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 17:58:49

No the police were in my hall and sitting room, I was there the whole time.

cornergran Mon 23-Oct-17 18:33:21

It does seem odd, how would they know your identity and where you live. Can you take someone with you to get to the bottom of it? A good friend or family member to give you support. Hope it's sorted very soon.

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 18:40:51

I find the whole thing baffling also though was in the shop that day. My daughter finishes at work at 8 so gonna get her to take me to the station to find out whats going on as rele dont want to wait til tomorrow morning. Could be some horrible mistake though in a way sh*ting myself being in this situation.

M0nica Mon 23-Oct-17 19:01:50

I can only say what everyone else is saying and that is that it sounds very odd.

How they can identify you and get your address when they only have CCTV evidence is not clear.

Could they want to talk to you about something else but not want you to know until you get there? If they want to question you under caution insist on having a solicitor present. They will have a duty solicitor available. If it is just an interview insist on your daughter being present.

I have just had a talk with Mr Google. Here are two useful websites. Their advice is say nothing unless a solicitor is present.

thejusticegap.com/2011/12/chat-or-interview/

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/police/police-powers/#h-when-can-the-police-question-you

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 19:11:09

Thanks will have a look, and no idea if there is anything else they could want to talk to me about.

A colleague who I work with says if they did suspect me and only if they did they could arrest me and process too - photo, finger prints, DNA. Kinda scary thought tho guess being worked up over nothing as I didnt do anything.

Do want to get to the bottom of it all though, my Daughter text to say she will come with me.

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 19:13:01

Noone mentioned either about an interview under caution, I am voluntarily gonna go tonight to sort the situation out.

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 19:53:42

Are you in the UK Sharon ?

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 20:10:56

Twelve days ago? This is more than odd, why has it taken twelve days

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 20:11:18

Yep I am in the UK in Scotland

sharonberry Mon 23-Oct-17 20:12:55

No Idea why 12 days, really dont know what is going on though guess I will find out soon.