Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeding your family = weighing 20 stone ??

(90 Posts)
gmelon Fri 16-Mar-18 14:43:57

Many Gransnetters bake and cook withgreat relish, love, skill, enjoyment. Others are also taking great care and buy in lovely food to share with family. What are your tips for being able to cook and bake in a relaxed manner with/for my family especially grandchildren?

How do you stop eating too much of the lovely stuff ?
Why aren't you all twenty stone, especially those who are baking regularly.

I'm very small , size 6 dress size.
I could easily become enormous if I was surrounded by home bakes and lovely meals on a daily basis.
I can bake and cook extremely well, even have a relevant qualification .

I'd love to bake lots. It's the eating lots after I'm in trouble with.

Grannybags Fri 16-Mar-18 14:54:07

I tend to only bake when I know there's going to be enough family around to eat it all!

I'll sometimes just bake for DH and myself but freeze some in single portions so that we just get some out of the freezer now and again as a treat

OldMeg Fri 16-Mar-18 15:01:33

How wonderful you are gmelon ?

Ilovecheese Fri 16-Mar-18 15:46:43

I think you could do with putting on a few pounds!

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 16-Mar-18 15:50:43

I only bake when we have company, or when the GCs come to stay, but I often go mad, spend the day prepping, then I fill the freezer with the ready to cook stuff.
It’s very tempting to get it out and cook it...... or even eat the cake dough raw. Yum.

paddyann Fri 16-Mar-18 16:10:42

I cook or bake every day ,my freezer is always full of home made cakes.scones,pancakes and portions of lasagne,steak pies etc .Its just common sense after 40 odd years of running a home.Have stuff prepared and save yourself the hassle or time if you're late in from work ,no ping cuisine here .

gmelon Fri 16-Mar-18 17:01:48

"OldMeg"
Why "wonderful" ?

Willow500 Fri 16-Mar-18 17:24:05

I used to bake regularly when the children were small. Cakes, scones, chocolate brownies etc. Once they'd left I found that we were eating it all ourselves which wasn't good for us so stopped - that was years ago. Sometimes fancy a bit of cake and buy one only to throw it out after one piece as it's gone stale. We don't have visitors to help eat it sad

M0nica Fri 16-Mar-18 17:34:16

You cook beautiful food that is not fattening and you portion control and do not nibble.

I freeze everything that isn't to be eaten immediately so that there is little in the fridge and I have 20 or 30 ready meals in the freezer. I rarely bake as I do not have a sweet tooth.

Unless you are very petite, 5 foot or under, you sound as if you need to bake, and eat. Research has shown that underweight people have a death rate comparable with the overweight as if they become ill they have no bodily reserves to call upon to support them at a time when they may not be able to eat and need extra calories.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Mar-18 17:43:09

Blimey size 6 is minute my grandkids are bigger than you
Living alone I tend to rarely bake The two grandkids who live in my town have a couple of favourite rice dishes.but neither like pastry’s or cake apart from a birthday cake so I rarely bake anything these days
I m not a very good cook did much more when bringing the family up
Yes oldmeg I m curious why wonderful ?

varian Fri 16-Mar-18 21:28:56

gmelon have you always been a size 6? I believe that is equivalent to an American size zero.

My 12 year old grand daughter, who has not yet gone through puberty is a size 6 but I would be worried if she remained that size.

Unless you are under five foot tall and have an exceptionally small build, you may be underweight.

Chewbacca Fri 16-Mar-18 21:58:37

I used to bake a lot when my family were all at home but I stopped when they left home and I lived alone. But now I'm teaching my GD to bake, just simple biscuits, cakes and pies to start off with, and I'm enjoying it all over again. It's nice to know that I'm able to teach her a skill that she'll have, and remember, for life.

Marydoll Fri 16-Mar-18 22:18:14

Snap, Chewy
Mary Baker, that's me!

Willow500 Sat 17-Mar-18 06:37:41

I forgot - I made mince pies with my little grandson when he was here at Christmas. Such fun but most of the mince pies were still in a box when they left a month later and ended up in the bin! grin

NfkDumpling Sat 17-Mar-18 07:18:02

DH discovered cooking when he retired 15 years ago. I used to be pudding chef and cake cooker but now he does the lot, including the shopping. And he's an excellent chef. We also live in a small town which prides itself on the quality of the food shops. Two excellent butchers selling local free range meats, good deli's, farmers markets, even the green grocer has his own small holding so plenty of fresh veg in season. I daren't go into the tea shops.

Although we rarely eat cakes or have puddings and my four year old DGS eats more than me, I still struggle with maintaining my two stone overweight level, I can only think it's because what we do eat is such good quality.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Mar-18 08:26:05

I don’t bake or eat cake ( or biscuits or pastry...) yet am 2 Stones or more overweight. My diet is healthy I take exercise. Life is unfair.

harrigran Sat 17-Mar-18 09:08:36

DD is a size 6 and has been since she was 18, nudging 50 now. She is very healthy but is also vegetarian which may explain the lack of body fat.
GD is the baker of cakes and I can't resist but do try to limit the portion.

farview Sat 17-Mar-18 09:09:11

Is the OP a wind up?

farview Sat 17-Mar-18 09:13:16

I've lost 17kg in last few years,now under a consultant and been put on high calorie/fat diet, was size 8/10 ..always feeling poorly etc.
Have now already gained a stone,looking and feeling better,got another stone or so to go. So can't imagine how being a size 6,unless tiny and tiny framed is not a worry to you!!!

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:18:13

High fat diet? I would have thought a size 10 , (in the UK) was a pretty healthy size. Can’t see why you need to put on another stone or two if you’ve lost 17 kg?
Am I reading this wrong?

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:18:29

Sorry that was for Farview

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:22:03

BTW a friends DM was only 4ft 10 inches, very tiny lady, ate well and was always zooming around. She died when she was 86.
Don’t know how she managed to have 4 strapping sons and a daughter. Her GCs called her pocket nanny, because she was so small.

gmelon Sat 17-Mar-18 09:32:12

"Fairview "
Do not question my integrity.

farview Sat 17-Mar-18 09:32:59

Well I'm 5'6tall very large framed and ALL my bones were sticking out,I looked awful,felt awful,am being monitored by consultant re cholesterol etc. I'm vegetarian,ate/eat healthy..just wasn't eating enough! Everyone now is saying how well am looking,hair condition is excellent,getting a bum back and curves.slowly but surely..always felt good at size 12/14 so aiming for that!!

farview Sat 17-Mar-18 09:37:48

Wasn't questioning your integrity just don't understand why at size 6 you fear putting weight on!