Gransnet forums

Chat

kind action

(54 Posts)
Fennel Sun 19-Aug-18 20:05:46

I went to Tescos this morning for a few things. At the till a young man in front of me asked if I had a Tesco card and would like to flash it for his bill. I thought that was so thoughtful.
He had a backpack and cycle helmet, just an ordinary young man. I was looking like a typical old woman. In fact when it came to my turn I flashed my bus pass by mistake!
There's hope for the world yet.
Any more examples of kind actions? Maybe I should try to do something kind for someone else.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Aug-18 20:14:58

Out with 2 small GC this morning, when we saw a family who were setting up a foot pump rocket launch in the park. GC stood and watched, mesmerized as the rocket flew into the air. The father of the family came over and invited my GC to go over and join them and have a go at launching the rocket. My GC were delighted, having never done anything like that before. It was a lovely, kind gesture of the other family to include them and show them a new experience. Yes, I'll definitely "pay it forward" when I get the opportunity.

annsixty Sun 19-Aug-18 20:51:30

I have done " paying it forward" and it is a very positive thing to do.
Also to hope the person will also pay it forward and where it will lead to.
It may be a really worthwhile thing.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Aug-18 05:32:16

I was trying to post a letter and realised I didn’t have a stamp I went to the local small supermarket to buy one (well you have to have a book in a supermarket) The assistant looked in her drawer and told me they didn’t have any left I went to walk away and a young man behind me in the queue told me he thought he had some and wouldn’t be using them He pulled out his wallet and gave me a few stamps that were there I got my money out to pay him but he wouldn’t take the money at all how lovely was that
Last week as I was walking through town I saw a young man with tied back dreads go over and take a defibrillator off the bank wall I thought he may be going to test it as he was so matter of fact about it but then I realised he was calmly going over to an elderly man laid on the pavement I obviously didn’t stay to watch but I was so impressed with how calm and unflustered he was I hope the old man survived and someone recognised the young chaps valuable help

NanKate Mon 20-Aug-18 07:19:51

My dear 5 year old GS recently received a package with a few small gifts in from us for him and his older brother. He phoned to thank us and to say he wanted to buy me a gift and he would make sure it was in my favourite colour purple. After a short discussion we have decided upon a purple comb. Love him to bits and his bro. ?‍?

Marydoll Mon 20-Aug-18 08:03:16

Purple is my favourite colour too, Kate.

My mother always taught us to treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves.
The other day on the way to Edinburgh, the platform was very busy and there was a rush to get on the train.
A young man stepped forward in front of everyone and I thought,"How bad-mannered!"
In fact he stepped forward to allow me toget on the train first. It made my day, It was only later that I began to think, "Do I look like a vulnerable old lady?" grin

DanniRae Mon 20-Aug-18 08:59:03

What a lovely thread smile

DoraMarr Mon 20-Aug-18 09:55:47

Years ago I was travelling by train with my four young children. My three year old, K, was staring fixedly at a young punk who was sitting opposite, despite my best efforts to distract her. He had face piercings, tattoos, and an amazing canary yellow Mohican hairdo. K suddenly said: “look at that man. His hair is like the rays of the sun.” The young man’s face reddened and he stared fixedly out of the window. When we got to our destination, he jumped up and grabbed the folded baby buggy from the rack, and stepped off the train with it. Then, without a word, he opened the buggy, lifted the three year old off the train and helped the four year old, then strode away.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Aug-18 10:09:31

Travelling on a plane with my 1 yr old, his first flight, I was on my own, going to visit my Parents who were living abroad.

I was sat in the middle of a group of men in their mid 30's I guess. He would not settle, and I was getting very anxious as I did not want to disturb fellow travelers.

The man next to me said he had young children and started talking to my son, then his friend did, and they all played, distracted him till he calmed down. They saved me from a extremely humiliating situation and others on the plane from a screaming baby for 21/2 hours. I will be forever grateful.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 20-Aug-18 10:36:58

My 10 year old gd had nearly all her leg in plaster cast and I was struggling to get her out of the car and into the house, the driveway has a steep slope and it was proving extremely difficult. Opposite the house is a bus stop and a group of rough looking young men were waiting for a bus, one of them came over and said, here let me help and carried her out of the car into the house, laid her on the sofa and then left quickly to catch the bus. You just can't tell by looks.

LJP1 Mon 20-Aug-18 10:41:21

I have been doing a lot of teaching London several times a year for a decade or so and pull my 6 heavy files of material in a large trolley. The pavements and escalators are no problem but the Northern Line has only stairs. In all the time I have been going, I have never had to pull the trolley up any steps and seldom down either! The people who have helped have been all ages and races. One it was a lady who must have done weight lifting or similar as she lifted it as if it was just a shopping bag - an Olympian perhaps? I have been most grateful every time but I worry about how many have pulled a muscle giving me a hand. The trolley is VERY heavy.

humptydumpty Mon 20-Aug-18 10:49:21

I was collecting my DD from school and en route stopped to get shopping. Crossing the road back to my car I fell headlong, groceries everywhere, winded and grazed. 2 lovely ladies gathered my shopping, and seeing how shaken up I was, one drove me to the school and then back to my car with my daughter. I have never forgotten that act of kindness.

Hebdenali Mon 20-Aug-18 10:52:56

A few years ago I was with my daughter in a multi storey car park in a run down area of Bradford on our way to our workplaces. It was early in the morning and I had parked my car. A young girl drove in and tried to park. Unfortunately she misjudged the distance and size of the bay (in a nearly empty car park) and got her car jammed up against a pillar. Whatever she tried to do would only result in nasty damage to her car. I was working in my job at the time with a number of serious drinkers who had all gathered by the car park for their early morning cans of special brew. I shouted down that we needed help and half a dozen of them came up and physically lifted her car away from the pillar saving the astonished young woman a great deal of damage to her car. The men wouldn’t accept anything but thanks and seemed so proud that they had been useful.

Minerva Mon 20-Aug-18 11:00:12

People can be so very kind. I always had help with my grandson’s buggy, up and down the steep steps to the platform in our old Victorian station. I have had my shopping carried home for me too.

A few weeks ago I offered a lift home from the supermarket to an old gentleman who was disturbed because the ATM had swallowed his card because he got confused taking money out. He was in his 90s and very unsteady. With the help of a member of staff we got him into the front of my small car and I drove him home wondering how on earth I would get him out at the other end. I certainly couldn’t lift him. I needn’t have worried. A team of house builders was waiting to be collected by their gang master and one word from me (Help!) had two of them over to my car in a flash; they carefully lifted him out and took him to his front door. They had hardly a word of English between them but great respect and kindness.

Bathsheba Mon 20-Aug-18 11:03:45

I was driving with my daughter in southern Ireland several years ago, before the advent of Sat Navs. We were visiting an old childhood friend of mine in Cork at probably one of the worst times to be driving in the area, because there were major, really major road works everywhere, with many diversions in place.
I was at a standstill in a queue of traffic approaching a junction, trying to look at a map, when I heard a tap at my window. I wound it down to be greeted by a friendly face asking me if I needed any help. Was I lost? Yes! I said, and told her where I was trying to go. Oh, she said, you'll never find that on your own with all this chaos! Let me overtake you and I'll lead you there. And she did, bless her. She went out of her way to get me to my destination, and left me with a cheery wave.
Earlier in our travels around Ireland, we had become a little lost somewhere, and pulled into an old ramshackle filling station to ask for directions. The fellow behind the counter must have been about 80, with such a beautiful, broad Irish accent, and I was mesmerised listening as he began to tell me the way. Then he stopped, saying, Oh you'll never remember all this, daft old man that I am! Here let me draw you a map. I left that garage with a simplified map drawn on a scrappy piece of oil-stained card. And it was perfect!
They were just two of the Irish angels we met on that trip smile

sluttygran Mon 20-Aug-18 11:16:00

What a lovely thread - I feel better for reading this!

Kim19 Mon 20-Aug-18 11:21:25

I was chatting to a young lady at a bus stop. Turns out she ended up on my route and didn't have the fare. I came up with the goods. We sat well apart and I started to write my details on a piece of paper 'just in case'. In due course she approached me with her smart phone and, voila, the transfer was complete. Modern technology indeed and I hadn't given that possibility a thought. There y' go!

NanKate Mon 20-Aug-18 11:37:58

Marydoll another coincidence ?

Willow10 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:19:11

I think the majority of people are kind at heart and would willing help a stranger if the opportunity arose. Unfortunately we only ever read about the worst side of human nature, but there must be millions of kind acts going on daily. A lovely thread about lovely people!

evianers Mon 20-Aug-18 12:22:25

Years ago, I was at Zürich station early in the morning, having travelled from Antwerp overnight. Whilst struggling with a heavy bag, and with my handbag across my body, felt absolutely nothing as my purse was stolen with CHF550.-- which I had saved for a year. Entered the train, no purse, no ticket and me in floods of tears. Two kindly people whom I had never seen before gave me 10.-- and 20.-- spontaneously so that I could pay the ticket-collector [in those days one still could]. But it was nevertheless a bitter pill to swallow. Hope the person who took the 550.-- enjoyed the fruits of their labour!

tigger Mon 20-Aug-18 12:29:09

I think according to the muslim religion we are supposed to do two nice things a day. For me that includes letting drivers out at junctions, normal every day nicities which society often overlooks.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:31:09

I was trying to lift a heavy wheeling bag of groceries down the very steep flight of steps leading from the shopping area of Nijmegen in the Netherlands down to the harbour and cursing myself for not having gone the long way round, when two schoolboys asked me politely in English if they could help and did so.

The Syrian refugee crisis was at its height just then, and it turned out that these two thirteen year olds had fled with the parents of the one and an uncle of the other and had only been in the Netherlands for a couple of weeks.

Apart from the help, it was nice to know that two boys who were going through so much felt confident enough to offer to help someone else.

Fennel Mon 20-Aug-18 12:44:04

Willow wrote:
"I think the majority of people are kind at heart and would willing help a stranger if the opportunity arose. Unfortunately we only ever read about the worst side of human nature, but there must be millions of kind acts going on daily."
Exactly Willow.

vandab46 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:49:18

this is the nicest thread I have read on here, thank you op for starting it

Juggernaut Mon 20-Aug-18 13:08:43

Many years ago, I finished work at 8-00pm, it was November, so fully dark.
I drove about a mile, then realised I had a flat tyre, and I wasn't in the nicest part of the city either!
I know how to change a wheel (DF prepared me for all eventualities), but was really struggling to get the wheel off.
Then a very posh, very big Jag pulled up behind me and a man in a beautiful dinner suit and bow tie said "Could you do with some help?"
He took the wheel off, put the spare on, lifted the old one into the boot, then wiped his hands on his beautiful, obviously silk, pocket square, refused to take anything for his help, got back in his car and drove away!
I had notices published in all of our local (ish) newspapers thanking him, I hope he saw one of them.
He was truly a knight of the road!