Gransnet forums

Chat

There is no Planet B

(94 Posts)
AlieOxon Thu 14-Feb-19 10:56:03

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_strike_for_climate

www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/13/school-climate-strike-childrens-brave-stand-has-our-support

I just saw the title here on Victoria Derbyshire's morning program, held up by a schoolchild....

The thread on Insects has brought up a lot of interesting comments - but there is action on climate going on all over the world, by the young people who it will impact on most!
I have grandchildren and greatgrandchildren and I now feel I must be more active in at least talking about this.

I'm involved in an envirnmental group locally but will put more energy in and see what other groups I can support.

We only have one planet to live on.

EllanVannin Thu 14-Feb-19 11:25:34

As long as the population increases there will be problems.

MacCavity2 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:26:21

Agree Allie maybe education might be worth investing in. Sorry being sarcastic, but it annoys me that the basics of civilisation is not given more importance.

AlieOxon Thu 14-Feb-19 11:31:16

A resounding 'yes' to EllanVannin!

MacC what are you calling 'the basics of civilisation'? I find your post confusing.

I plan to join PopulationMatters, as a first step.

MacCavity2 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:37:56

Sorry Alie thought it was simple. Without education we cannot be civilised. Also agree with Ellan

MacCavity2 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:58:59

AlieOxon sincere apologies I’ve just realised you must have thought I was being sarcastic to your post. Quite the reverse. My little hobby horse is the lack of funding for education without which people won’t understand how important caring for our planet is. Sorry.

lemongrove Thu 14-Feb-19 12:10:35

The young people are not actually doing anything for climate change ( just pointing this out) they are drawing attention to it. However taking time out from school is a waste of school time, why not protest on a Saturday?
There is plenty of education out there for all about being environmentally aware, and all governments are well aware of it.

AlieOxon Thu 14-Feb-19 12:35:07

Re your last statement, do you really think so, lemon?

It seems they need to make as many people as possible aware that this needs urgent action, and that it is actually more important than half a day or even one day off a month.

All education does not take place in schools.

lemongrove Thu 14-Feb-19 12:45:43

Yes I do really think so Alie
Governments in the developed world take the issue seriously, and are trying to influence less aware/poorer/etc countries to do their bit, with money and any other way they can think of.
We constantly (the media) hear about climate change and being as green environmentally as we can.
Countries like India and China are polluting the planet in a big way and it’s for governments everywhere to pile on the pressure to them.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Feb-19 12:48:45

I agree with lemon.
Its nothing we don't know about, and everyone is doing their bit, as far as I know, individually.

varian Thu 14-Feb-19 13:46:42

The late lamented brilliant demographer Hans Rosling explained that the world population will not exceed 11 billion. Child health services and education are the key.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyzBoHo5EI

PamelaJ1 Thu 14-Feb-19 14:12:30

It’s such a big subject. Where do you start?
I don’t mean we shouldn’t try but I feel that all the things I’m doing personally don’t really make much of an impact.
There are lots of threads on here about changes to our daily life that many of us are making.
I’m not saying that we shouldn’t make those changes but it’s not really enough is it?
Next week there is a plan to fly tornados on a farewell tour of Britain. These aeroplanes are being replaced. Why the need to do this amazes me. (The tour, I mean)
All that waste of fuel and the pollution it will produce is totally avoidable. A lot of us have got the message, shame that our leaders haven’t.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 14-Feb-19 18:09:51

PamelaJ1, I quite agree with you. I really despair of our political system when politicians are so determined to do the macho stuff of flying aeroplanes around the country but will not do anything about the total freedom to drive! OK, I know that would lead to a lot of "Whitabootery" - "Whitaboot the pensioners", "Whitaboot the disabled" etc - but there are plenty of places where public transport is available for the able-bodied but is either too expensive or not at the right times, and could be easily sorted.

As for the population problem, it seems to me that one of the most important things to do is to educate girls. Apparently when girls are educated, they do not (need to) have such large families, partly because they know how to look after them better and prevent infant deaths and partly because they can get better jobs and put off having family in their teens. Sounds like a win-win to me.

AlieOxon Fri 15-Feb-19 12:24:05

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47242477

School strikes:
They want the government "to declare a climate emergency", and inform the public about the seriousness of the situation.
They also want the national curriculum reformed to include "the ecological crisis as an educational priority".

A clear message that people are not aware...

janeainsworth Fri 15-Feb-19 12:44:08

fertility rates are actually declining

Riverwalk Fri 15-Feb-19 12:56:24

Indeed they are jane but don't let facts get in the way of alarmist talk!

Planet Earth is massive and most of it unoccupied.

Granny23 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:16:07

I always think there is a certain Irony when I hear the extreme eco warriors expounded the need to limit the human population to save the planet, while campaigning to 'Save the Rhino' and many other species. They seem to ignore the fact that animals, especially ruminants, also contribute to global warming.

Anja Fri 15-Feb-19 13:23:22

I hardly think te odd rhino compares with the destruction wrecked on this planet by humankind.

My personal opinion is that we are indeed Doomed. We might already be past the tipping point and if not yet, then there is simply no consensus for action. Everyone wants a better ‘life style’, the freedom to use the planet’s infinite resources, and very few are willing to give up these freedoms.

Good luck to these young people. I admire them but I fear it’s too late.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:28:37

It’s such a big subject. Where do you start?

I agree Pamela
but let's hope that mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

Certainly my DGC's school are very environmentally aware.

I just hope it is not all too late - but I hope that that generation will be the saviours.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:32:20

Anja I hope it is not too late, but I do remember going to an exhibition with DD many years ago now and we learned just how many planets each country needed to sustain their way of life.

Granny23 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:03:32

www.facebook.com/theSNP/videos/348005682713213/

Doing the best we can.

Telly Fri 15-Feb-19 16:59:46

Are people really changing their behaviour? OK, might be cutting down on the plastic bags but what about emissions from cars, plane travel etc. etc. Am I the only person who thinks that recession must be good for the planet if nothing else? Strikes me that unless the whole of humankind is prepared to change the way it lives then the planet will do the decision making. I don't think its the end of the race, but I suspect there will be a global reduction in numbers, one way or the other!

Telly Fri 15-Feb-19 17:03:53

Oh, and I do think that young people taking action can only be a good thing, but actions speak louder than words. Will they be walking to school? Refusing air travel? Keeping their old phones? Ignoring disposable fashion? We shall see.

Coconut Sat 16-Feb-19 09:31:17

Quite a depressing subject if we think too deeply, but we all have to care. We can only do our own little bits but so much is just out of our hands. Around the world it’s just all about profits and sod the cost to the environment. Did anyone see ‘Fashions Dirty Secret” exposing polluted rivers abroad near clothing factories, rivers full of dyes, chemicals etc at the detriment to all sides of life. Look at all the animals slaughtered by sick hunters, for ivory trophies etc and David Attenborough’s prog re plastics in the sea, truly shocking. So many people just don’t care about our planet and that’s the worrying part for future generations.

CarlyD7 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:34:07

Figures from the Met Office - the 10 warmest Winters in the UK since records began are: Top 10 mildest winters (mean temperature for winter period): 2017, 2016, 2014, 2007, 1998, 1990, 1989, 1975, 1943, 1935. Or, in other words, the top 5 mildest Winters have taken place in the last 21 years. Convinces me that global warming is real. A shame that the kids have to show the adults how its done.