Gransnet forums

Chat

Just when I thought she wasn't going to say it!

(103 Posts)
phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 16:29:25

Hello all,

I have a friend with 2 sisters, R & D. When referring to D, she will just say "my sister D" but even though I have known her for over 20 years, she will always say "My sister R, the one who's a barrister"

(I always find myself thinking of Hyacinth Bucket, "it's my sister Violet, the one with a Mercedes and room for a pony" grin )

Anyway, we were having a phone conversation recently about the misdemeanours of cats, as you do, and she was telling me that her cat had brought in a blackbird. I managed not to giggle when she said "You should have seen the mess, there was bird hair everywhere!" confused

She then said "My sister R" I waited for the usual "the one who's a barrister" but it didn't come shock

She went on to explain that they live near some woods where game is raised, and that R's cat often brings in live pheasants and partridges.

I said "Oh goodness, what does she do!"

She replied "She's a barrister" confused

(Still having a vision of a woman in a wig & gown, attempting to cross examine either the cat or the birds, as I can't quite get the connection between being a member of the legal profession and dealing with uninvited wildlife grin )

WadesNan Wed 12-Jun-19 16:32:27

Reminds of someone I know who always refers to a man she knows as "my gay friend"

Gonegirl Wed 12-Jun-19 16:33:34

Oh! I get it! grin

Jenty61 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:35:14

thanks Phoenix, that really made me laugh lol

Glammy57 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:47:33

Does she have room for a hamster? ?

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 16:47:53

I have a friend like that who has. 3 sons. 2 of who are doctors . I was with her, shopping, and we got talking to a lady in the queue. My friend asks the lady how many children she had, and before this poor soul could finish her answer, my friend says , "I've got 3 sons, and 2 are Doctors'. I felt so bad, not so much for the lady she was speaking to, but for her third son who she conveniently forgot.

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 18:10:00

crazyH how sad that your friend doesn't seem to value her other son.

annsixty Wed 12-Jun-19 18:15:53

My friend had a neighbour whose S , a permanent academic, no idea of the “world of work” achieved 2 PhD’s.
She always referred to him as my S the double Dr.
We always had to stop ourselves from smirking.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 18:16:28

Perhaps the other son has taken up needlework ?
I really laughed at this and have known many people who either name-drop or repeat a sibling's career. It takes me all my time to keep a straight face.

Framilode Wed 12-Jun-19 18:18:38

My mother was like that. I still cringe when I remember the following scenario.

At a posh hotel my mother was introducing my brother and me to some friends of hers.

Proud voice ' This is my son - he's a barrister.'

Sickly sweet Margaret Thatcher voice 'And this is my daughter 'She's a (pause) housewife'.

Mind you, I have to catch myself periodically from doing the same sort of thing.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 18:19:57

Saying that, I do know someone who has just got her law degree with honours and the beauty of it is she was spurred on by a chap who's been in prison for most of his life and she's fighting his case which is clearly a MOJ.
I wish her good luck with this venture and know she'll win.

sodapop Wed 12-Jun-19 19:01:11

I knew a Hyacinth Bucket type lady. They had two cars and when she mentioned them it was always "we were out in the Mercedes" or " we were out in the BMW" made me want to respond with " we were out in the Reliant Robin ". smile

DanniRae Wed 12-Jun-19 19:05:33

Hi Ellan - what is "clearly a MOJ?"
I tried working it out but drew a blank confused

Blinko Wed 12-Jun-19 19:07:29

Years ago, when they were the curent thing, we knew people who liked to brag that were out 'in the Dolomite'. Not the mountains, but the Triumph vehicle of that name...

Blinko Wed 12-Jun-19 19:09:45

Miscarriage of Justice?

petra Wed 12-Jun-19 19:10:26

EllanVannin
Is that the Jeramy Bamber case?
If so, I wish her (and him) well.

Bathsheba Wed 12-Jun-19 19:12:49

I imagine it’s miscarriage of justice DanniRae

Bathsheba Wed 12-Jun-19 19:13:18

Oops I obviously type too slowly blush

kittylester Wed 12-Jun-19 19:13:23

My friend has a 'broker' as she tells me loads of times. Its weird how people do that.

Eloethan Wed 12-Jun-19 19:14:29

It reminds me of the regular sketches in Goodness Gracious Me where two Indian mothers competed with each other as to how much more successful their respective sons were.

It's rather silly - and a bit sad too - to feel it necessary to bask in the reflected glory of your child/children in an attempt to enhance your own status.

Bathsheba Wed 12-Jun-19 19:16:37

Oh and phoenix your story had me laughing out loud ???. Thanks for that!

annsixty Wed 12-Jun-19 19:23:44

How many of your friends or their C have Financial advisors?
Lots of mine do ,although I suspect lots of GNers do also.

merlotgran Wed 12-Jun-19 19:46:45

Brilliant, phoenix. grin

DH thinks it's a miracle the cat hasn't been shot!

CanadianGran Wed 12-Jun-19 19:51:58

Oh Phoenix, you had me laughing! Thank you..

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 19:55:05

grin
thank you for the laugh, phoenix

It reminds me of one of my old friends from school who, in later life and divorced, started going out with a new man but could never mention him without referring to him as 'J The Millionaire'.

We did meet J and he was, in fact, a very quiet and lovely man.
I can't remember his surname, he will always be J The Millionaire!

Cats! [grrr] - sorry