Gransnet forums

Chat

Just when I thought she wasn't going to say it!

(104 Posts)
phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 16:29:25

Hello all,

I have a friend with 2 sisters, R & D. When referring to D, she will just say "my sister D" but even though I have known her for over 20 years, she will always say "My sister R, the one who's a barrister"

(I always find myself thinking of Hyacinth Bucket, "it's my sister Violet, the one with a Mercedes and room for a pony" grin )

Anyway, we were having a phone conversation recently about the misdemeanours of cats, as you do, and she was telling me that her cat had brought in a blackbird. I managed not to giggle when she said "You should have seen the mess, there was bird hair everywhere!" confused

She then said "My sister R" I waited for the usual "the one who's a barrister" but it didn't come shock

She went on to explain that they live near some woods where game is raised, and that R's cat often brings in live pheasants and partridges.

I said "Oh goodness, what does she do!"

She replied "She's a barrister" confused

(Still having a vision of a woman in a wig & gown, attempting to cross examine either the cat or the birds, as I can't quite get the connection between being a member of the legal profession and dealing with uninvited wildlife grin )

DanniRae Sat 15-Jun-19 08:15:50

T.Y.V.M.................Thank You Very Much !!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-Jun-19 11:16:17

Obviously, as her sister is in a posh profession, her cat brings in posh birds!

JohnD Sat 15-Jun-19 20:17:30

I like to tell people i was a teacher in Liverpool, and the recite the story of the little boy who asked me - 'How do you get a budgie to speak?' I was tkemn in by his innocent look and tried to tell him to talk to it and pronounce the words clearly. He shook his head, smiled and said, 'No sir. You put it on a No.59 bus.'
Remember when the Airport was called Speke Airport.