Gransnet forums

Chat

Cannot be named for legal reasons.........

(28 Posts)
evianers Fri 21-Feb-20 12:58:53

Listening to the news this morning, it is well-nigh impossible to imagine the agony Grace Millane's parents must be going through at present. One wonders why it is that the perpetrator "cannot be named for legal reasons". Why not? Apparently he is 37 years old [i.e. not a minor]. He is a killer and the murderer of a young woman.

Ilovecheese Fri 21-Feb-20 13:00:09

What would you like to do if you knew his name?

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:00:51

I found it odd as well.

Military or special forces maybe?

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 13:04:20

Yes, that really made me wonder, too. It's not a blue-blood is it?

grannysue05 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:06:36

Possibly a mental health issue.

glammanana Fri 21-Feb-20 13:08:57

There must be a really good reason not to name him I just can't think of anything to stop them naming him to be honest.

kircubbin2000 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:12:46

His name was known in the press. Can't remember it though.

Galaxy Fri 21-Feb-20 13:13:19

I wonder if he is going to be charged with something else and they dont want to prejudice the case.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Feb-20 13:15:13

Message deleted by Gransnet as there are court restrictions in place. We're taking this post down whilst we look into what can and can't be published. Please do bear with us

FlyingSolo Fri 21-Feb-20 13:16:33

Galaxy, good idea. That would make sense

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 13:19:01

@Galaxy

Ah!

Urmstongran Fri 21-Feb-20 13:21:17

I’m with you on that Galaxy.

Galaxy Fri 21-Feb-20 13:23:40

Also it is a different country so I am not sure of their legislation. I am impressed with their sentencing though, often men who use the rough sex defense get lighter sentences.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Feb-20 13:23:52

Message deleted by Gransnet as there are court restrictions in place. We're taking this post down whilst we look into what can and can't be published. Please do bear with us

Galaxy Fri 21-Feb-20 13:26:53

Yes its leaked on social media and also I think because different countries have different reporting restrictions . But there is a restriction on naming him.

welbeck Fri 21-Feb-20 14:55:14

his full name and two large photos of him were in daily mail online last night.
guess they dont feel bound/ dont care about legal restrictions in australia.
does seem odd after he's been convicted.
then again i heard on bbc news last night that the man who murdered people in germany, inc his mother and himself, is only being named by police as , firstname initial of surname. seems a bit pointless since he is dead. maybe to protect relatives.

Yehbutnobut Fri 21-Feb-20 15:04:34

If there is a second charge pending then naming him will influence the jury and case would be dismissed. Hope this isn’t the case and another woman doesn’t lose her chance of justice. It does seem he has a history of violent sex.

FlyingSolo Fri 21-Feb-20 15:10:54

Welbeck, as a general thing about mass killings I thought I had heard that there is some talk about the risks of naming the people responsible. Meaning by using their actual names we give them notoriety which oddly enough appeals to certain people who like the idea of that sort of fame after their death and so can lead to copycat cases.

boheminan Fri 21-Feb-20 15:15:25

MerylStreep Thanks for disclosing that info.....

welbeck Fri 21-Feb-20 15:21:26

i got the impression that that is how they refer to anyone suspected/ charged/ on trial in germany, and some other european countries.
it didnt seem to be anything specific to the circumstances of this case, terrorism.
that is a decision made by some media and reporting organisations, to not give publicity to the individual.

Floradora9 Fri 21-Feb-20 16:16:12

It is the law in New Zealand . On the BBC page there is an account from a girl who went on a date with him the day after the killing. It is chilling reading luckily she was uneasy with him and did not go back to his house.

Galaxy Fri 21-Feb-20 21:02:46

There is currently a campaign in this country called we dont consent to this which seeks to abolish the rough sex defence. I hope it succeeds.

agnurse Fri 21-Feb-20 21:05:04

There are two primary reasons I've heard of for perpetrators not being named. One is if the perpetrator is a minor. The other is to protect the identity of the victim (more commonly occurs if the victim is related to the perpetrator IME).

MerylStreep Fri 21-Feb-20 21:51:17

Boheminan
I can't take the credit, but thank you. I got it from the Daily Mail and it's also on FB.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Feb-20 22:29:31

Neither of those reasons would appear to be applicable in this case though would they agnurse. We already know that he's in his 30s and that his victim was not a minor.