Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you found lurking in your cupboards?

(23 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 08:06:59

During lockdown I, like many others, have been passing time sorting cupboards and drawers. At the back of a kitchen cupboard I discovered a label less jar of browny green leaf like stuff that must be a herb of indeterminate age. A bedroom drawer contained one bra wire (why one???) and the stair cupboard held the charger for the Karcher window cleaner. Why did I put the charger in the one place I would never look for it? Who knows grin

lemongrove Sat 04-Apr-20 08:23:40

Yes, we have to occupy ourselves in these difficult times, and having a good old sort out of cupboards and drawers is as good as anything.?
I found something in the kitchen drawer ( you know, the bits and bobs drawer) that we can’t fathom, although we saved it at some time so must be for something useful, small, plastic,
Like a tiny pyramid with a screw sticking out.It went back in the drawer in case we ever remember.
A whole pack of out of date Fever Tree tonic cans ( by five years) stuck right at the back of the pantry behind something.
Annoying, as I had been buying and using others.?

Kalu Sat 04-Apr-20 08:27:40

A few things which I have obviously tidied away in the wrong place. DH who is a chocoholic discovered two Easter eggs for GDs which I had hidden in a kitchen cupboard. Almost jumped out of his skin when I shouted, don’t even think about it?. I have hidden them elsewhere now?

Juliet27 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:31:33

In a box of old treasures I found the name bands that were put on my daughter’s wrists when she was born. She’s 41 !! Me, sentimental??

TerriBull Sat 04-Apr-20 09:07:05

I have a pull out cupboard thingy, have found conventional stock cubes and those pod type ones that Marco Pierre White says he uses in the ads, but probably doesn't in reality, along with numerous jars of herbs and spices, pretty much all out of date, never mind we're still here! Have been using them, more than ever of late for casseroles etc. Now do I use the Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce for Thai cooking and various soya sauces. They have 21st century dates and as late as 21st century teen years at that hmm........Happily nothing dates from the 20th century, thanks to my amazing domestic goddess skills of cupboard clearing although probably down to the fact that I was forced to throw such things out when we had a new kitchen 5 years or so ago can Nigella claim to be the same ?

SalsaQueen Sat 04-Apr-20 09:33:41

In one of the kitchen cupboards, one (what happened to the rest?) glass sundae dish, an opened bottle of hot sauce (2017)

grannypiper Sat 04-Apr-20 09:44:56

A few years ago i lost £200, i searched high and low but never found it.I was clearing out one of my sideboards and moved my Grans dinner service plates and lo and behold i found £40 in between each plate grin Why on earth i put it there i will never know. I will send the money to my Daughter to go towards keeping the DGC amused during this awful time.

Teetime Sat 04-Apr-20 10:54:57

I found all my old papers from various nursing courses and education. I had forgotten the person I used to be. It was poignant. I have sent to NMC to volunteer but I retired about 10 years ago so they might want me when they are scraping the barrel.

henetha Sat 04-Apr-20 10:58:05

A tin of corned beef which I intend to eat in spite of recently turning vegetarian. What a treat!

Witzend Sat 04-Apr-20 11:02:46

In a sewing basket (one of two) which I finally sorted out (so many tangled reels of thread) I found some old Cash’s woven name tapes - not even for my own dds but for a BiL I first met when he was 9 or 10 - now early 60s.
I had inherited my lovely MiL’s sewing basket, hence the two.

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:48:02

A late night search revealed a tube of Polo mints.

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:49:09

These Cash's name tapes would make decorative tapes for one's face mask

Alexa Sat 04-Apr-20 11:50:37

Henetha veggy me, I did exactly that. Corned beef cottage pie with cabbage and black pepper.

henetha Sat 04-Apr-20 12:12:46

Yum Alexa, sounds great. I can't wait!

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 13:16:56

I love the weird and wonderful things we're finding grin

TerriBull Sat 04-Apr-20 13:26:45

Just found a tin of Lavazza coffee, whilst rearranging my kitchen shelves, bought for a painter when he was doing a couple of rooms a while ago, well it didn't seem that long ago, but how time flies confused it's gone all grey and hard shock............so remorsefully it's in the bin !

Sussexborn Sat 04-Apr-20 13:32:31

Some rather dubious cuppa soups. I deliberately didn’t look for a date and they tasted fine with a load of croutons. Then found another pack with three more so that was a bonus.

whywhywhy Sat 04-Apr-20 13:49:45

A tin of spam from years ago. Might make spam and chips for myself tonight with brown sauce.

felice Sat 04-Apr-20 14:30:44

This morning, 8yr old DGS who had sneaked downstairs before I got up and was in my storeroom happily raking through all the stuff for events and parties.
Found balloons and filled them with water, now wondering why we are not very happy with him.

felice Sat 04-Apr-20 14:31:19

Oh and the dog is hiding under my sofa !!!!!

Labaik Sat 04-Apr-20 15:28:26

I've got a packet of Angel Delight that expired 3 years ago. I think I'm going to risk it....

grannypiper Sat 04-Apr-20 18:46:09

Labaik angel delight ice lollies are yummy and cheap

Lyndylou Sat 04-Apr-20 21:11:28

I cleaned out a cupboard containing storage boxes and odd plastic things including a mincer that has never been used. Amongst it all was a baby's bottle. Since my only DGS has just turned 12, it does imply it has been that long since the cupboard was last cleaned.