Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you have a school policeman?

(6 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 05-Apr-20 14:00:11

When I was at school we used to get a visit from PC Barker each term. He would stress the need for road safety by regaling horror stories of what would happen to us if we got knocked down. I first heard him speak when I was 5 years old but he pulled no punches and made no allowances for our tender age. His favourite story was about a boy who ran across the road into the side of a car. The handle (which used to stick out in those days) caught his stomach and ripped it open leaving him bleeding to death with his guts spread over the road. He also told us about a girl who rode her bike across the road rather than getting off it to walk across sensibly. She went under the wheels of a bus which squashed her head spreading her brains across the road. He had many such stories which, as you've no doubt guessed, always ended with death and body parts spread across the road. It sounds horrific but he was a very well thought of character in this area and people of my age remember him with affection.

The memory of him came back to me today when we were out cycling. We came to what is usually a busy but is now empty road but, even though there was no traffic and DH laughed, I stopped, checked for traffic then walked (not ran) across stopping on the middle island to repeat for the second part.

Good old PC Barker. I wonder if he ever thought that the lessons he taught would still be affecting behaviour 55 years later grin

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 14:02:39

We did when I worked in Sunderland. He'd come in after watching cctv of incidents to try to identify criminals.

vampirequeen Sun 05-Apr-20 14:08:24

Oh dear. PC Barker worked in the days of innocence when the worst most of us did was annoy the neighbours in the next street by running down their back ways when playing block. If we got caught the policeman would clatter a couple of the lads (not hard) and tell the girls that we weren't being ladylike. Then much chastened we'd go away......until the next day lol.

EllanVannin Sun 05-Apr-20 14:12:20

We had a visiting " bobby " at times telling us all about the dangers of crossing roads without looking or from behind parked vehicles especially lorries.
He used to visit prior to holidays, telling boys especially the mischief that can be caused during the long summers. Then winter when it was dark to be extra careful.

Even in my primary school days when the extent of a speeding car going at 30mph never to take chances crossing the roads. There were no " green men " in those days.

Septimia Sun 05-Apr-20 14:17:34

No, not even when I was teaching as far as I can remember.

When I was at primary school we had a couple of visits from Coco the Clown teaching us about road safety.

SueDonim Sun 05-Apr-20 14:20:29

I don’t remember if we had bobbies coming into school but there was a policeman every day to shepherd us across the zebra crossing outside our school. We knew them all pretty well, I can still remember the names of many of them, even after more than 50 years. One of them diagnosed my broken arm when I fell over at school!