Gransnet forums

Chat

Do we always need to see a doctor face to face?

(25 Posts)
Artdecogran Mon 06-Apr-20 09:12:50

At 8am phoned doctors for telephone appointment. 90 minutes later got call from doctor. Prescription sent to pharmacy who will deliver this morning. Fantastic service and I haven’t left my armchair! I hope they keep this service going when everything’s back to ‘normal’. I realise that there are people who need to be examined but when, like me, you have had the same thing for years it’s great that there is this speedy way. By the way he had the sexiest Canadian accent, made my day anyway.

GrannyLaine Mon 06-Apr-20 09:16:46

Glad to hear that has brightened your week Artdecogran My 9 year old granddaughter suffers from recurrent tonsillitis and in her most recent bout had a video consultation with the GP. How sensible.

Alexa Mon 06-Apr-20 09:39:56

I am glad that was so successful, Artdecogran.

glammanana Mon 06-Apr-20 09:42:49

Such an easy process I have just spoken to my Dr about a recurring problem with cellulitis and he is ordering a prescription to be delivered this pm,we have had this service for quite a while now you just have to be aware that the same Dr will always be available but they obviously have the access to your records.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 09:51:36

It's not that easy. It's tree pollen season so I asked for an inhaler. (The one I had was out of date.) As I only have allergic asthma (I'm not a registered asthmatic) it was a no - unless I see the doctor! I wasn't going to risk that, so got one from my friend instead. It's madness under present circumstances!

Artdecogran Mon 06-Apr-20 10:02:21

Hetty58 that is ridiculous. It happened to me last month too. We’ve got the online GP service called LIVI, through the GP’s surgery. Tried it for antibiotics for cystitis but they wouldn’t prescribe unless I went to a drop in centre for urine test. I’ve had cystitis twice a year since I was 19, I do know the b****y symptoms thank you very much. Had to go in to surgery at the finish, less people there than drop in clinic. But also what a waste of GPS time.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 10:53:53

I think after this crisis, many things will be evaluated and changed.
More video/telephone consultations.
Much more online grocery shopping.
Fewer face to face business meetings.
Far more people working from home.
More exercising going on.

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 10:56:57

Hospital consultants are having telephone consultations with patients too.
If you are self isolating of course you cannot go to hospital for an appointment at the moment, it's the last place you should be unless absolutely necessary.

notanan2 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:21:59

Its more that the doctor needs to see US.
They pick up more from what they see than from what we tell them.
This is a very hard time for GPs. They are prescribing things that cant be properly monitored etc

notanan2 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:23:50

I also have been prescribed meds to keep me going instead of having the tests/referrals I was about to have before all of this.

This is fire fighting not best practice

Greenfinch Mon 06-Apr-20 11:25:49

I have just been down to the surgery carpark for my weekly INR blood test. The phlebotomist told me that the present circumstances will change the way the Practice will operate in future as telephone appointments are proving to be so successful.

Jane10 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:36:08

I've had several telephone appointments with the GP over the past few years. It was great. No need to go to the surgery or take up her time. I could ask my questions, she discussed options and that was that. Very good. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

GrannyLaine Mon 06-Apr-20 12:08:37

There is a time when 'best practice' needs to be set alongside what is pragmatic in the current situation. I shall be interested to see how GP practice evolves in the light of what is happening right now.

SueDonim Mon 06-Apr-20 12:46:50

Phone/video appointments have been taking place in the remote areas of Scotland for some years. There’s always been a reluctance from both sides to roll it out more widely but I imagine Covid-19 will change attitudes and we’ll see more of it in future.

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 13:01:58

My UK GP does telephone appointments. In Switzerland where I work, they have what is called Telemedicine.

99% of the time I haven't needed to see a doctor face to face. Makes total sense. Free up surgery time for patients that DO need it.

grannyactivist Mon 06-Apr-20 13:24:00

We have had a GP triage system for some time at my local Health Centre and the feedback from those who use it (including me) has been very positive. However, with our demographic of a 'higher than average' number of older people we (the Patient Participation Group) have been unable to persuade people to use the service rather than making traditional appointments. That has changed due to the corona virus and now people are more than happy NOT to have to visit the surgery and are finding that the Triage system, along with having a Nurse Prescriber who is able to dish out simple prescriptions, is better for them than having to traipse to the Health Centre.

I am confident that when it is important to be seen the GP will use sound judgement - a telephone call is helpful in a lot of, but not all, circumstances, and I do think it's important to be able to trust the system.

ninathenana Mon 06-Apr-20 13:30:16

I had an out patient appointment at our main hospital today. I was told not to attend and that the consultant would ring me. He is sending a prescription to my GP.
I need a scan but they won't do that due to the virus so who knows when that will happen.

12Michael Mon 06-Apr-20 13:56:17

My surgery works this way , I have a bi-annual diabetes check type 2 , I book through reception ,and when I had blood test I see the nurse up to 2 weeks later , she has power to look at my prescriptions ,and change for example if need be.
The Doctor side a minimum of 10 minutes for appointments with them, as repeat prescriptions I do it online with the surgery website.
Mick

moggie57 Mon 06-Apr-20 14:05:02

me too .i have kidney problems and get cystitis a lot .but they wont give me tablets without urine sample. two weeks ago went to surgery window .and asked why . she said urine sample first. can i use your toilet (no one in that area anyway) no she says .(receptionist) .come back tomorrow with sample .so i went home done sample and then walked back.2 miles .oh she says we were not expecting you today .me .i am in agony .....then had to wait another 3 days till dr had tested it.. then sent to high street chemist instead of my local one. had to queue 45 mins to get in the place. 15 more minutes before being told they hadnt got the prescription .come back tomorrow... oh no says me .i phone the drs. right now . we sent it sais drs .chemist .tell them we not got it .i said YOU TELL THEM. . after 25 minutes wait in chemist .it was finally given to me...i was really wanting to SWEAR.....

grannyactivist Mon 06-Apr-20 14:35:25

moggie57 if your health centre/GP surgery has a Patient Participation Group (PPG) you can feed back your frustration to them, that's what they're for. You can simply cut and paste the message you've posted here and ask them what lessons could be learned from your situation to improve matters for the future. You can also contact the national Patients Association directly at: www.patients-association.org.uk/

Artdecogran Mon 06-Apr-20 14:43:38

Good grief moggie57 that is dreadful. I learnt my lesson a few years ago when after 24 hours of cystitis I was weeping puréed strawberries. The nurse nearly fainted when she saw my sample. Can you ask for some antibiotics to keep at home in anticipation of your next attack. Good luck.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 14:56:47

If you are desperate and can afford it, there's a shortcut, of course.
(It goes against all my principles - but 'needs must when the devil drives'.)

You can get a same day private doctor consultation and prescription, £90.

Labaik Mon 06-Apr-20 14:57:10

I don't wish to be political and I have to keep stressing that I never liked Corbyn and I'm glad he's gone. But his idea that everyone in the country should have free access to a computer will now have to become reality because telephone consultations will become the norm. I also hope that [and I'm as guilty as anyone] that after this we all think twice about whether or not we do need to consult with a doctor or have we got a problem that we can sort out ourselves.

M0nica Mon 06-Apr-20 15:26:54

I have never consulted a doctor on any condition I could sort for myself, which is why, they see me so rarely. DH on the other hand has to see them regularly for the monitoring of a chronic condtion.

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 15:55:18

I discovered how little I needed to see a doctor went I moved overseas for the first time. My doctor was an hour and a half away. Certainly sorts out the essential visits from the unnecessary.

I usually only go now if I suspect a lump or possible cancer symptoms. Everything else, asthma, chronic sinusitis, gastric problems, I manage myself.