Gransnet forums

Chat

OH wants me to play with him

(39 Posts)
Peasblossom Sat 16-Jan-21 14:27:14

No, not what you’re thinking.

He loves board games. He doesn’t know what to do, so he’s asked me to play.

I thought I’d left this all behind when the children moved out (sigh)

I have to go now?

avitorl Sat 16-Jan-21 14:31:51

Give it a go, you might enjoy it,and it will get your brain working too.
Before Lockdown I joined a board game Group at my local library and it was fun and very sociable. I really miss that and the Book Club I belong to.

hollysteers Sat 16-Jan-21 14:34:05

Commiserations. You need some nice prizes for winning.
My late husband loved golf, I tried it but I’m not sporty, just arty. Now he’s gone, I wish I had enjoyed it and joined him in something he loved but it was like rubbing a cat’s fur the wrong way.

PamelaJ1 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:49:39

The roles are reversed in this household.
I’m losing the battle.

LauraNorder Sat 16-Jan-21 14:50:50

We play scrabble, chess, backgammon, boxed in, or even monopoly once, after lunch on those winter days when walking is out of the question. It fills an hour or two between housework, craft, reading and tv. NB no ironing.
We chat as we play,so the games are not all consuming and they keep the little grey cells active I’d say yes to the board games, you might enjoy them. If not you did at least try.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 14:51:03

I've got nobody to play with!
I quite like games, but rarely persuade grandson to play a board game.

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jan-21 14:53:20

Yes your title definitely definitely drew me in grin. I love a good board game. I hate Monopoly though.

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 14:53:57

Tell him you will only play if you can have an open bottle of wine and a glass at your side. It will probably improve your performance, and certainly your frame of mind. You could let him have a glass too.

Patsy70 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:55:35

I enjoy playing board games and cards at the moment, particularly at that time of day when it is starting to get dark and I begin to flake. We normally combine it with a cuppa and play for a couple of hours before I get dinner prepared. I like gin rummy at present. Give it a try! smile

B9exchange Sat 16-Jan-21 15:01:06

I like board games, just can't stand any card games, which the rest of the family seem to love. But after an argument between DH and myself when I refused to sell him Park Lane, our daughter has banned us from ever playing it again! grin

Redhead56 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:03:19

We play card games and Anglesey monopoly game it passes the time.

Septimia Sat 16-Jan-21 15:03:56

I hate board games, always have.

Must admit, though, that some of them can be enjoyable if I can be persuaded to join in. It really depends on how good they are.

kittylester Sat 16-Jan-21 15:05:35

I can recommend Genius Square and he can play by himself!

Greyduster Sat 16-Jan-21 15:14:26

This is why we used to love having GS over here when he was younger; he loved to play board games and cards, but we don’t see a lot of him now, and especially not in the present trying circumstances. I’ve sometimes asked DH if he fancies playing cribbage, or dominoes, but he doesn’t see me as a worthy opponent! Can’t think why?!

Lisagran Sat 16-Jan-21 15:32:38

We only do it in our campervan (play cards grin)

Peasblossom Sat 16-Jan-21 15:38:59

He’s nipped to the loo. Halfway through.

Must be?

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jan-21 15:40:29

I taught GD to play Monopoly and it's now become very competitive between us. So much so, that I've invested in the new Mega Monopoly and she's getting better at it than me. grin

Nortsat Sat 16-Jan-21 15:40:45

Why not do it in the evening with a glass of wine and some delicious nibbles. Some nice soft jazz in the background...

I’m available and love board games but my partner isn’t keen.

LauraNorder Sat 16-Jan-21 15:43:26

Redhead56, we have Anglesey monopoly too. We have friends in Rhosneigr who were most annoyed to be on the bottom row!

Marthjolly1 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:49:57

I used to play cards a lot when I was younger. It got quite competitive but I dont enjoy so much now. We do play with the GCs sometimes which is great fun. I am addicted to blockpuzzle now on my phone a great way to pass the empty hours.

tanith Sat 16-Jan-21 15:53:33

If only I had someone to play with I have lots of board games one GD and I played Cluedo most weeks before all this bloody COVID. ???

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 16:24:32

I taught my grandson chess.
He played often enough that he got far better at it than me, then lost interest.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 16:26:55

I'm not keen on board games or cards but DH quite likes them.
I like quizzes, he doesn't.

Never the twain shall meet.

ixion Sat 16-Jan-21 16:32:09

Umm. Keep getting flashbacks to THE chess game in The Thomas Crown Affair .........

Tapdance6 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:34:17

I enjoy playing Draughts and Dominoes with my grandchildren when they are allowed in my house.