Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancestry DNA

(53 Posts)
Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 09:20:50

I did it and sent the sample of and waited. I at that stage hadn't said my biological father s side was Orkney Islands and Scottish in general and it came back 67 percent Scottish and Orkney and Highlands. Clever ole stuff. Then if you upload the results in the free ancestry part it brings up all these second cousins where you share a grandparent ..now that bit baffles me ...I'm a total beginner and I know when you share your link to a friend you get a tenner Amazon card and now my friend has sent hers of, she's like me and just wanted proof if she's in her case Welsh, my case Scottish . Is anyone a whizz or understands all this ancestry DNA please .

Redhead56 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:48:57

I was quite happy with my initial results English Irish Scottish Welsh with a smaller percentage Central Asia. Lots of cousins etc some names Scandinavian which could be from Viking invasions. Some of the names are linked to my actual paternal and maternal family names.
A cousin on my husbands side linked all our names to trace their roots from Russia Ukraine and Poland. To try to build a family tree as their family can’t be traced because of name changes etc. So now the results I am getting are my husbands family DNA.
They do not have my DNA I can’t imagine why he would include me as I am spouse not their actual blood family. I just don’t bother looking at the results anymore.

Blossoming Mon 20-Sep-21 11:24:11

I use Ancestry, as do with various cousins I am in touch with around the world. DNA shows me links to any cousins who have submitted DNA tests. Occasionally I see a second cousin I wasn’t previously aware of. They’ve never offered me a £10 Amazon voucher though.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Sep-21 11:57:15

I think you need to subscribe to Ancestry to check how these second cousins are related to you. I’ve had a subscription for years so have been able to identify the relationship with some people flagged up after my test but the relationship with others remains a total mystery as they haven’t posted any family history details. You can contact these cousins via Ancestry but I haven’t done that. I haven’t been offered a gift card either, I assume that’s just for non-members. I can thoroughly recommend tracing your ancestors via Ancestry, very absorbing hobby.

BeverleyJB Mon 20-Sep-21 13:17:25

Whilst tracing your ancestors may be, for some, just an absorbing hobby, I would advise caution before using a DNA service, such as Ancestry.

Read the Terms and Conditions carefully - not least because, once they have your DNA it may be stored in a jurisdiction where the laws of your home country (including laws relating to privacy and personal data) do not apply.

Companies like Ancestry will also usually have the right to use your DNA with “partner” companies for other purposes without having to seek further permission from you.

Speaking personally, I'm not sufficiently interested in what my DNA may tell me about my ancestors to give away control over personal information that has value to others….and for them to charge me £ for the privilege!

CafeAuLait Mon 20-Sep-21 13:27:21

Beverley, if anyone in your family has done the test, that ship has already sailed somewhat. If anyone has access to that person's data, connecting to you is not that many steps away, only one if it's an immediate relative.

Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 14:16:13

Thank you. I do have the free access, subscription, just not gone as far as paying for the next level subscription yet.
It's clever stuff.

Septimia Mon 20-Sep-21 14:47:41

If you're tracing your ancestry already, as I am, why do you need the DNA test? Most, if not all, your forebears will appear on your family tree as you research it. Do you really need to know that you have 6th cousins 10 times removed?

Obviously there will be people whose family background is a bit of a mystery and, for them, the DNA test may be invaluable.

Of course, it's always possible that there's been a bit of sneaky hanky-panky which has put different DNA into my cells - but do I really want to know?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Sep-21 14:58:02

Septimia, the DNA test can show your ancestry from centuries earlier than most of us could trace through documents. It’s interesting to find, for instance, that some of your ancestors are likely to have been Vikings. The test can also show that someone you believed to be an ancestor wasn’t, as I think you were suggesting. Yes, I would find that interesting. I enjoy a good detective story!

BlueBelle Mon 20-Sep-21 16:38:48

My granddaughter did her DNA with ancestry it gave her No percentage English at all but I have done my own family tree back to 1600 s and my roots are firmly English back to then
So how come she doesn’t have any of my DNA she’s my full granddaughter by my eldest daughter

Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 16:40:18

Thank you everyone. I do find it all interesting and as I'm adopted it gives me a sense of where I come from I guess.

BeverleyJB Mon 20-Sep-21 19:07:54

CafeAuLait

Beverley, if anyone in your family has done the test, that ship has already sailed somewhat. If anyone has access to that person's data, connecting to you is not that many steps away, only one if it's an immediate relative.

Thank you CafeAuLait. I appreciate that others would be able to see a family connection to me if one of my family members has had their DNA tested.

What won't happen though, is my DNA will not be sold on or otherwise shared with pharmacy companies for example, for them to use for research etc for profit. Nor would my DNA ever be made available to authorities in other jurisdictions.

Maybe I'm just «old and grumpy» to think that I've lived my life without knowing and distant & unknown relatives and can,t be bothered now!

Chestnut Mon 20-Sep-21 19:22:26

Just to say, Ancestry has just updated their results based on all the masses of new information that keeps coming in. So it might have changed in the last few days.

Neen, I don't believe you need an Ancestry subscription to message your DNA contacts, so if anyone is shown fairly closely related then you could make contact. I appreciate you haven't done your tree because you're adopted, so there's not much more for you to do if you are not planning to do your biological tree. Just send a message to those closer DNA links if you want to. Otherwise just study the percentages shown.

Septimia Mon 20-Sep-21 20:08:17

Germanshepherdsmum a good point, although I'm afraid I'm not convinced of the accuracy - which will be improving, of course.

Floradora9 Mon 20-Sep-21 21:42:50

BeverleyJB

Whilst tracing your ancestors may be, for some, just an absorbing hobby, I would advise caution before using a DNA service, such as Ancestry.

Read the Terms and Conditions carefully - not least because, once they have your DNA it may be stored in a jurisdiction where the laws of your home country (including laws relating to privacy and personal data) do not apply.

Companies like Ancestry will also usually have the right to use your DNA with “partner” companies for other purposes without having to seek further permission from you.

Speaking personally, I'm not sufficiently interested in what my DNA may tell me about my ancestors to give away control over personal information that has value to others….and for them to charge me £ for the privilege!

Can I just add that Ancestry has proved a real boon to me . It has put me in touch with relatives I could confirm were family but I do not know of their existance. Through this I have managed to share so many family memories and passed on loads of reseach I have done which was much appreciated.

CafeAuLait Tue 21-Sep-21 10:53:19

I know one person who did it because she's never felt she fit well with her family and wanted to check if they really were her genetic family. So there's one application that helped someone resolve a concern.

Hellsbelles Tue 21-Sep-21 11:01:08

Both my husband and myself have done this and I find it fascinating. I am an only child , and knew my cousins on my mother's side , but very little in my father's side .
He was a menopause baby and had brothers / sisters that were grown and left home , never to return. I have found a first cousin and a few 2nd cousins. You can also link in your DNA to others to find something they call thru lines. I've found out I have a link to some ancestors who were ' someone ' way back when who lived in houses that are now national trust properties , so found that interesting . Just a shame they are not close direct family. I wouldn't mind being a lady or a duchess !

Theoddbird Tue 21-Sep-21 11:09:18

I did this hoping to find long long relatives in Ireland and Somerset. All I got were really distant relatives...none of whom have answered messages....well except one. It did confirm my Irish and Somerset roots though. Overall I was a bit disappointed.

Jaxie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:19:26

I was hoping a cousin I haven’t seen since childhood resident in Canada would get in touch. No-one at all has. Plus: the results were different when updated.

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:23:18

Even though Ancestry regularly update the ‘accuracy’ of the estimates of ‘where’ your DNA comes from that is all they are, rough estimates. Because the vast majority of Ancestry DNA tests have, and are likely to continue to be, taken by Americans, it will always be the case that the common emigrant communities: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Scandinavia, England will always dominate those estimates.

Do NOT bank much hope on accurate estimates of Place, that is a bit of a joke at best for the reasons expressed above. On the other hand, relationships: Cousins, Aunts, Uncle’s etc will be much more accurate, but will run into many hundreds of people, very loosely related to you.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:23:35

I found I have so many 3rd - 5th cousins all round the world, I'm wondering when I will find I am related to the Queen and the Pope!!

PennyWhistle Tue 21-Sep-21 11:28:52

I have been researching my genealogy/family history for over 35 years, and have found DNA results to be of great help in both confirming my research and also advising that one man I thought to be my maternal 3 x great grandfather to be of no blood relation - thus eliminating one whole branch of research. It is good to have positive as well as negative confirmation when one is researching.

Mum said she was relieved that my brother and I were confirmed as her children when all of our DNA results were received smile

Also, I would recommend that anyone considering getting a DNA test on Ancestry or similar get the oldest person in each line of the family DNA tested while you can - as their results will help you to go further back potentially with more confidence.

Happy researching!

Scottiebear Tue 21-Sep-21 11:43:27

I've just sent mine off. Excited to see the results.

Grandmabeach Tue 21-Sep-21 12:52:04

Like you PennyWhistle I have been researching both mine and DH family history for many years. After doing our DNA tests we both discovered several relatives both in the UK and round the world which helped to confirm, not only family stories, but we also discovered distant cousins who were able to provide photographs and fascinating stories of our ancestors.
Hope you are documenting everything you have found. I took the opportunity of lockdowns to produce books of our various grandparents and their ancestors. Our children and siblings have enjoyed reading the stories of their Ancestors and the part they played in history.

homefarm Tue 21-Sep-21 13:03:01

Did the DNA test abut 5 years ago. It told me nothing that I did not already know. The 3 cousins I already know from childhood also did it - we came up as a match, other than that zilch. No contacts for any of us.