Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancestry DNA

(54 Posts)
Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 09:20:50

I did it and sent the sample of and waited. I at that stage hadn't said my biological father s side was Orkney Islands and Scottish in general and it came back 67 percent Scottish and Orkney and Highlands. Clever ole stuff. Then if you upload the results in the free ancestry part it brings up all these second cousins where you share a grandparent ..now that bit baffles me ...I'm a total beginner and I know when you share your link to a friend you get a tenner Amazon card and now my friend has sent hers of, she's like me and just wanted proof if she's in her case Welsh, my case Scottish . Is anyone a whizz or understands all this ancestry DNA please .

Floradora9 Tue 05-Oct-21 21:56:23

Neilspurgeon0

Even though Ancestry regularly update the ‘accuracy’ of the estimates of ‘where’ your DNA comes from that is all they are, rough estimates. Because the vast majority of Ancestry DNA tests have, and are likely to continue to be, taken by Americans, it will always be the case that the common emigrant communities: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Scandinavia, England will always dominate those estimates.

Do NOT bank much hope on accurate estimates of Place, that is a bit of a joke at best for the reasons expressed above. On the other hand, relationships: Cousins, Aunts, Uncle’s etc will be much more accurate, but will run into many hundreds of people, very loosely related to you.

I was really pleased that my DNA pinpointed the county in which most of me family have lived so no joke there and it is not a large county.

Floradora9 Tue 05-Oct-21 22:01:55

Esspee

*Floradora9*. Was the birth mother not interested? It would be a kindness to put them in touch with each other surely?

It turned out that this lady was not telling the truth she had already met her birth mother and even had her address and phone number. I am not sure what she hoped to gain from contacting me but it upset a lot of people . I would never have told her anything without the permission of her birth mother.

Mallin Sat 09-Oct-21 12:42:40

I joined ancestry.com as although I easily traced the biological mother who arranged my private adoption before I was born, I had no idea of my biological father except that he’d been in the Canadian or American Army during WW11.
Ancestry showed me he was a married American GI and that I had three half siblings. He had died in the 1980’s and so had my eldest half brother. Both of them had the same given name as my eldest son!
I truthfully can’t understand why some people are uptight regarding their dna. It’s not as if it contains your address, photo and direct phone number.