Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs on beds

(6 Posts)
Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 22:16:42

I know I shouldn't have when we got her last year but I did and now she's a nearly 18 month old who has mor eofbtge bed than me. She has her three walks a day and I sometimes hire the freedom field so she has of leash time. I talk to her and we play in the garden. She gives me her paw if she wants a treat and barks at the hoover still. She's a strong girlie but trys to sit on my lap or a Ross me and loves soft toy play time and I love her.
My friend said she shouldn't be in the bed and I'm too close to her and she should be a dog, not spoken to like a human.
I'm not the only one surely ?

Buffybee Mon 20-Sep-21 22:28:46

In my opinion, there’s no such thing as being too close to your dog, after saying that, I have never allowed any of my dogs on the bed but if you do, that’s your choice.
All the other stuff you mention, walking her and playing with her is what all responsible dog owners do.
I don’t understand the problem of talking to your dog like a human.
Dogs can understand many words we say to them and our body language, that is how they respond to us and how we teach them.
As long as you are being firm and giving the dog boundaries, so that he makes a good companion, you can be as affectionate as you please.

Sindy274 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:10:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

downtoearth Thu 23-Sep-21 09:31:43

Reported above looks like advertising

Jane71 Thu 23-Sep-21 10:20:53

The first rule is that dogs need to know who is the boss.
Given that, being affectionate is lovely for both of you, but we draw a line at dogs in the bedroom, never mind on the bed. If it becomes too used to being with you all of the time, it won't like it when you leave it alone in the house, or the car etc.

Witzend Thu 23-Sep-21 11:35:53

As for talking to your dog as if it were human, I used to baby-talk to my dog - ‘Mummy love oo!’ etc. (I’m not normally soppy at all so I’m not sure why.)

Anyway, I was once doing precisely this in a densely wooded part of the park where I usually walked her (thinking I was quite alone) when I heard stifled laughter.

Looked up to see two blokes up a big tree, evidently wetting themselves laughing!
Still, if you can give someone a good laugh, your day is not entirely wasted. ?