Gransnet forums

Chat

NHS is obscuring health info about women

(52 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 06-Aug-22 18:15:30

An article in the Daily Mail on the fact that the NHS has been making its info more 'inclusive' by removing words referring to women and female people, while not changing anything referring to men and male people.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11080589/Why-NHS-sexing-WOMENS-health-pages.html

"Now, experts have accused health chiefs of sexism for only targeting women's health advice with inclusive language. Pages on testicular or prostate cancer have been left alone.

'A pattern seems to be emerging that women are the targets — not men,' said Professor Jenny Gamble, a midwife at Coventry University.

'It looks and feels like misogyny.'"

MerylStreep Sat 06-Aug-22 18:26:14

FarNorth
Thank you for putting this up.
I’ve been aware of this for some time but there might be some posters who aren’t.

eazybee Sat 06-Aug-22 18:35:23

Yes, it is beyond belief, and I cannot understand the managers who go allow this to happen.

M0nica Sat 06-Aug-22 18:38:46

Strange how seeking inclusiveness means excluding women.

FarNorth Sat 06-Aug-22 20:27:10

It is very strange that inclusiveness-driven change of wording isn't seen as necessary in healthcare for people with male anatomy.

Baggs Sat 06-Aug-22 20:36:44

Beats me how removing (i.e. excluding) words like woman and female could ever be counted as inclusive. It's like turning something upside-down and saying it's the right way up – bonkers, in short.

SueDonim Sat 06-Aug-22 20:45:57

This tells you everything you need to know about women’s erasure.

sodapop Sat 06-Aug-22 21:19:24

Disgraceful SueDonim I can't believe this is considered acceptable in any way.

FarNorth Sat 06-Aug-22 21:36:23

The charity Prostate Cancer UK was asked about this and they explained that their choice of wording is clear about who may be affected, in order to be as effective as possible.
Other organisations, including the NHS, seem to think this isn't necessary when referring to female people.

Doodledog Sat 06-Aug-22 22:17:40

Of course it is based in misogyny.

I just don't understand how anyone, and particularly women, can think that this state of affairs is boring or some sort of side issue that only interests extremists and obsessives.

Casdon Sat 06-Aug-22 22:25:33

So Sajid Javid is blaming NHS England, which as Minister for Health he was in charge of until about a month ago? Sounds like a typical Daily Mail distortion/exaggeration aimed at running down the reputation of the NHS to me.

FarNorth Sat 06-Aug-22 23:05:39

Casdon the article shows several examples of NHS information from leaflets, posters & websites.
Why do you say it is distortion / exaggeration when you can see it there for yourself?

Obviously NHS England doesn't usually have to refer to the Minister for Health concerning the wording of such things.
I don't know what's happening about it, now that Sajid Javid is no longer in post.

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 07:07:48

The Minister for Health is ultimately accountable for the actions of NHS England FarNorth, it’s as simple as that. There isn’t a person in a little office unilaterally deciding to change digital information, it will be led by a committee which ultimately reports to the minister via the NHS England Chief Executive. The NHS CE is a political appointment.

Doodledog Sun 07-Aug-22 11:47:28

Casdon

The Minister for Health is ultimately accountable for the actions of NHS England FarNorth, it’s as simple as that. There isn’t a person in a little office unilaterally deciding to change digital information, it will be led by a committee which ultimately reports to the minister via the NHS England Chief Executive. The NHS CE is a political appointment.

I may be being a bit dim; but what has this got to do with the differing attitudes towards communicating with men and women (sorry - people with cervixes)?

Esspee Sun 07-Aug-22 11:55:13

I’m a woman but I don’t have a cervix. Where do I fit in nowadays?

Baggs Sun 07-Aug-22 12:54:54

Did you ever have a cervix, espee?

Baggs Sun 07-Aug-22 12:57:11

BTW, saying "only women have a cervix" is not the same as saying all women have a cervix.

Ditto wombs and other female reprductive equipment. We know that sometimes they are removed.

dogsmother Sun 07-Aug-22 12:58:47

Can we claim our gender by our chromosomes please.

Baggs Sun 07-Aug-22 13:07:59

dogsmother

Can we claim our gender by our chromosomes please.

We can, and nearly everybody does, but it's sex we're claiming, not gender. Condusing the words and meanings of the words sex and gender is half the problem with gender wokery.

Baggs Sun 07-Aug-22 13:08:15

*confusing

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 13:15:42

Doodledog

Casdon

I may be being a bit dim; but what has this got to do with the differing attitudes towards communicating with men and women (sorry - people with cervixes)?

Direction is given to the NHS by the Minister, the NHS will not have made a unilateral decision to alter the wording on its digital platform without direction. Whatever committee decided this was required for women but not for men was obviously unclear in what was required.

FarNorth Sun 07-Aug-22 13:34:37

I'm glad you've realised Casdon that this has happened and is not exaggeration or distortion.

Sajid Javid, as Minister, took responsibility for saying it is wrong to make the wording obscure for anyone and that the info for women should say clearly that it is for women.
Now he is no longer in post, I have no idea if this will actually happen.

It is completely ridiculous to try to be 'inclusive' by making things difficult to understand and absolutely astounding that the NHS is the organisation doing it.

Casdon Sun 07-Aug-22 13:43:14

I don’t understand your post FarNorth, I think we are at cross purposes. I didn’t deny that it had happened, what I said was that the article was an distortion/exaggeration, and I still think that. A minister cannot deny his involvement as the ultimate responsible person and blame the NHS, and the Mail has by implication forgotten that very important fact and made out Javid is the good guy and NHS England the bad, that is just wrong.

Doodledog Sun 07-Aug-22 15:33:48

I am not defending Javid, nor am I carrying a torch for the DM. The point here is that whoever is to blame for signing off the policy, the thinking behind it (doubtless inspired by Stonewall) is reprehensible.

M0nica Mon 08-Aug-22 08:02:59

Since these decisions are made by consensus in the Ministry of Health, it presumably means that quite a lot of women up to a quite senior level in the ministry concurred with this degradation of their sex!