Gransnet forums

Chat

Potential Human Remains Found on Saddleworth Moor

(41 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Fri 30-Sep-22 15:37:19

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63091544

If this is correct then I hope that they are those of Keith Bennett, so that he can finally have a funeral.

So sad that this mother died without ever knowing what happened to her son.

GagaJo Fri 30-Sep-22 15:44:08

My thoughts about his mum exactly HurdyGurdy. He could be buried with her tho.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 15:46:04

It would be wonderful if that poor woman’s son could be buried with her. My personal belief is that they would have been reunited when she died.

Blondiescot Fri 30-Sep-22 15:50:27

I often thought of poor Winnie over the years - the only thing she wanted was to give Keith a proper burial, and those monsters denied her even that small crumb of comfort.

Chestnut Fri 30-Sep-22 16:16:49

Someone will have to refresh my memory. Didn't they go to the moor and look for the body but couldn't locate it? Or did they deliberately not ever reveal the location?

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 16:17:47

Let's hope that they are the remains of Keith and he and his mother can finally rest in peace.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 16:21:51

Brady and Hindley went to the moors to ‘try’ to locate the body Chestnut. There was speculation that Brady knew but kept it to himself. Who knows. I just hope that after all these years the child is found.

Serendipity22 Fri 30-Sep-22 16:27:55

I read that earlier, i felt an instant thankfulness (hoping it was the little lad ) mixed with an instant sadness that his dear mum isnt here, but my faith and belief is that they were reunited when his mum passed away...... ❤

Blondiescot Fri 30-Sep-22 16:28:39

I'm pretty sure that Brady got some kind of twisted kick out of knowing where Keith was, but refusing to reveal the location. The 'attempt' to find the body was typical of his manipulative ways.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 16:29:35

Sadly, yes.

Madgran77 Fri 30-Sep-22 17:48:20

Hope it is him so that his brother can feel some sense of peace reuniting his brother and his Mum!

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 17:53:21

We drove over Saddleworth Moor on Friday.
It always gives me the shivers. It’s so bleak and remote.

I do hope these are the remains of the 12y old Keith Bennett. His poor brother and the extended family will be able to finally put him to rest. Their torment must be unbearable.

HurdyGurdy Fri 30-Sep-22 18:02:53

I hope it is Keith Bennett, not only because he can finally be laid to rest, and his family be able to "have closure" (a phrase I dislike, but it fits), but also because if it is confirmed to be human remains, and it isn't Keith, then that means it is another child who has been murdered and dumped, which will be heartbreaking.

I also get shivers when driving over Saddleworth Moor Urmstongran. It feels sinister, even on a bright sunny day.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 18:06:57

It’s because as you drive past HurdyGurdy you just knew Keith’s remains were there somewhere and it was so upsetting driving past for miles, looking out at the huge, lonely expanse. I used to think of him every time & all the other children. How scared they must have been without their mummy.

Esmay Fri 30-Sep-22 18:18:41

I remember Hindley and Brady so well .
I was a bit younger than Keith Bennett and I recall being really upset by the events .

Only recently one of my friends was telling me that she grew up near Saddleworth Moor and knew one of the girls tortured and murdered by those monsters .

It was so sad that his mother died without knowing where he was buried .

God bless and rest in peace .

Doodledog Fri 30-Sep-22 18:32:06

I was very young when the trial took place, but could read early and read about it in my aunt's newspaper. It was the first time I realised that my parents couldn't protect me, and it affected me badly.

I hope that if the remains are Keith's that the family can get some closure after all this time.

crazyH Fri 30-Sep-22 18:39:30

Oh how sad ?

Allsorts Fri 30-Sep-22 18:43:29

It’s awfully sad, if it isn’t Keith it’s another families. I thought Hindly and Brady knew where the bodies were but got twisted pleasure in raising the poor famines hopes. Hope they are not resting in peace.

Joane123 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:51:58

I lived in the area at the time and had just got married.
Winnie never gave up her search and wanted to lay her son to rest; sadly she never got that wish. I hope for you dear Winnie it is Keith and he can be laid to rest as you would have wanted.

sodapop Fri 30-Sep-22 19:56:04

How sad that Keith Bennet's mother was not able to bury her son. The sins of that wicked pair still reverberate down the years. I hope the body is that of Keith so he can finally be laid to rest.

rafichagran Fri 30-Sep-22 20:11:13

I was about 6 or 7 at the time and remembered the adults talking about it, I found it all very disturbing and scary.
I remember when Brady and Hindley were tried my Mum and Nan were talking and one said to the other they should bring back hanging.(not a discussion on the death penalty)
I hope they find his remains and they bring closure to the family.

BigBertha1 Fri 30-Sep-22 22:29:30

I instantly thought of Keith today when I heard this. Poor little boy I hope he can be laid to rest with his Mum.

Toetoe Fri 30-Sep-22 22:33:55

❤️ just sending my love

Chestnut Sat 01-Oct-22 18:35:03

BBC Website Saturday afternoon:
Police searching for Moors murderers' victim Keith Bennett have said no identifiable human remains have so far been found, as excavations continue.

M0nica Sat 01-Oct-22 19:09:53

Someone's idea of a joke?