Gransnet forums

Chat

How fast are you? Do slow people irritate you?

(145 Posts)
Sago Sat 28-Jan-23 17:51:43

I walk quickly, cook quickly, make a bed quickly.
I do everything at speed.
Once focused on a task I just get on and do it.

My husband will park the car and by the time he’s out of it I have gone half way around Waitrose with my trolley!
My daughter is exactly the same as me, she is about the only person I know who walks at my speed.

At times I find people that are slow irritating (sorry all you slow coaches)
I am very aware that my speed may be equally as irritating.

I have a wonderful friend that I would love to go away with again, we never have a cross word but she is shockingly slow, by the time she is up and out of the hotel half the day is gone, she will spend hours fiddling around and never getting anywhere.

At what pace do you operate and do slow/fast people irritate you?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:54:24

I operate at my speed.

Other people operate at theirs.

Waste of time being irritated.

cornergran Sat 28-Jan-23 17:57:51

My reality is I can’t walk at speed so I’d be irritating you sago.

I do like to finish a task once I’ve begun it, definitely much slower these days.

glammagran Sat 28-Jan-23 17:59:00

Omg Sago. You have just described us! When we were still going to music festivals (2018 was the last) I would stride off to the end of a field, turn around to wait for DH to catch up only to see he had barely set off. He’s always been a slow walker. Maybe I’m not as fast now with my dodgy hip but I’m still a mightily faster walker than he is.

Mollygo Sat 28-Jan-23 18:02:48

We like to get up and go, which is why holidays with DD were better with 2 cars, but I kind of enjoy watching my DD trying to chivvy the DGC so they can go out earlier now.
I do find it irritating when people’s slowness means they are late for appointments.

JaneJudge Sat 28-Jan-23 18:04:55

I am a hundred miles an hour too. My husband takes forever to get ready to go out too.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Sat 28-Jan-23 18:05:42

I think I inherited my Dads impatience and get annoyed waiting for hubbie to do something. I do all my housework at record speed because I hate doing it.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Jan-23 18:07:42

I’m quite tall at 5’7” and I stroll about. I’m never ‘in a rush’. I like to take my time and ‘smell the roses’ along the way. Literally sometimes as I’ve paused at a front garden and inhaled the scent of a beautiful honeysuckle tumbling over a wall or the heady scent of a rose as I walk past.

When out with Himself I say ‘slow down’! He is out on a mission, his mind ahead of him. He then makes me laugh when he asks if my shoelaces are tied together? Or calls me his Geisha Girl ...
😁

VioletSky Sat 28-Jan-23 18:12:21

I'm quite tall and tend to stride around when I'm on way to something that starts at a specific time but anything that just for fun I like to amble and take in the scenery

SueDonim Sat 28-Jan-23 18:13:19

Now my Dh is retired he likes to operate at a lower speed and I find it intensely annoying. If we’re planning to go out, he’ll start to get ready first, then I will go next, although I have more things to do such as my hair and make up. By the time I finally get to the front door, ready to leave, he still won’t have his shoes or coat on - I do not know what on Earth he’s been doing! confused

When I was on crutches with a broken leg, I irritated myself with my slowness. grin That’s not to say I don’t like to browse things because I do, but if I’ve got a goal in mind, I just want to get on and achieve it.

paddyann54 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:13:59

I'm someone who likes to get things done...NOW ,not in ten minutes so everything I do I do at speed.This morning I asked my OH to help me move a bed downstairs for the charity shop...I'll do it when I get back he said.I moved it myself! Only took ten minutes to strip it and take the mattress off and I slid the mattress down the stairs and moved it from there to the door ,then did the same with the base .He came back 20 mi utes later and told me off for not waiting for him?
Life is too short to hang around waiting .

Curlywhirly Sat 28-Jan-23 18:21:51

I'm also 100 miles an hour; can't sit still for long and always looking for something to do. I really should slow down, but it's just not in my DNA!

Rosie51 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:22:36

I can be speedy if the occasion calls for speed, but.......

“What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

- Leisure” by W H Davies

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:27:32

Yes I tend to always be out in front. I can’t be doing with strollers. I find it very tiring.

tanith Sat 28-Jan-23 18:31:50

I'm fast too, my husband took an age to do anything I'd sit at the bottom of the stairs jingling my keys.

lilypollen Sat 28-Jan-23 18:34:01

I'm Speedy Gonzales and can't stand dawdlers - not against anyone who can't move fast. If I were going out tomorrow, I would have everything ready to go tonight, DH on the other hand?

FarNorth Sat 28-Jan-23 18:37:35

I'm very quick if there's a need to be somewhere or do something by a certain time.
Otherwise, it depends how I feel.

rubysong Sat 28-Jan-23 18:37:47

I rarely go walking with DH as he goes too fast for me, especially up hills (and we have a lot of them). However, I do eat quickly and he eats very slowly. I keep an eye on his plate and slow down a bit otherwise I have to sit and wait for him.

ExDancer Sat 28-Jan-23 18:42:37

Well well!
May I ask your age Sago?
When you're 84 and arthritis has set in, do you still expect to be doing everything 'at speed'?
If so - what speed?

LRavenscroft Sat 28-Jan-23 18:42:44

I am a romancer, dreamer and slow coach. I've spent a life time looking after other people, working full time and caring for our parents. Now is my time to do what I fancy when I fancy. I can't see the point in being busy doing things I don't like.

MrsKen33 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:42:45

I don’t mind people being slow. It’s when they dither about in front of me I get irritated. This way, that way. Make up your mind!

Alioop Sat 28-Jan-23 18:46:39

My sister and I row constantly when we are out because I'm always away ahead of her. She just danders along, slow as a snail and it winds me up. In shops she's up and down every aisle and I'm normally through the till and sitting in the car waiting an age on her.

FlexibleFriend Sat 28-Jan-23 18:55:40

I used to zoom about all over the place but these days I can barely stand let alone move at speed. That said I can't stand dawdlers who dither about in a world of their own.

Norah Sat 28-Jan-23 19:05:34

I'm quite slow/methodical, my husband is quite fast/very precise. That works for us. I really don't care to speed of others.

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Jan-23 19:15:44

ExDancer

Well well!
May I ask your age Sago?
When you're 84 and arthritis has set in, do you still expect to be doing everything 'at speed'?
If so - what speed?

I haven't got to 84 yet but my knees are about 90.

When I think what I used to achieve in the mornings I feel astonished. I was always busy because there was so much to do.

However, if you rush through life you may miss a lot!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:54:24
I operate at my speed.
Other people operate at theirs
Waste of time being irritated

Absolutely!

Thank goodness we're not all the same.