Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I learned...

(68 Posts)
VioletSky Sun 26-Mar-23 17:44:35

Share an interesting fact.. or Google one!

Today I learned that if sea turtles lay their eggs in warm sand, they all hatch girls but if they lay their eggs in cold sand they all hatch boys!

shysal Sun 26-Mar-23 17:55:07

I am presently reading 'Where the Crawdads Sing'. I just Googled to find out what they are and found that I was correct in thinking they are crayfish, which I didn't know could make noises.

Kate1949 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:57:48

Today I learned that cat saliva contains a natural deodorant which is why they lick themselves so much. It has been proven that cats who lick themselves the most survive longer and have more successful offspring.

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Mar-23 18:05:37

That if you start a thread two years ago about ‘faith’ it will suddenly, unexpectedly, take on a life of its own

Elegran Sun 26-Mar-23 18:08:32

shysal

I am presently reading 'Where the Crawdads Sing'. I just Googled to find out what they are and found that I was correct in thinking they are crayfish, which I didn't know could make noises.

I think that is the point of the saying - the habitat is so wonderful that even the crayfish sing.

Shelflife Sun 26-Mar-23 18:11:07

shysal I too am reading Where the Crawdads Sing and had to Google Crawdads. An amazing story so beautifully written! Had no idea crayfish were vocal !

VioletSky Sun 26-Mar-23 18:23:58

Now I need to know what a crayfish sounds like!

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Mar-23 18:27:59

I've learned that today too Fannysmile.

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 08:18:56

I didn’t know crayfish made noises though someone told me lobsters make a noise when dropped into boiling water. Yuk. Today I didn’t really learn anything new except my Vietnamese hair dresser thinks October is the best month of the year here and it is too cold most of the time. I would certainly agree with her today at least.

Jackiest Mon 27-Mar-23 08:59:35

I did learn something yesterday but have forgotten what it was.

I did like where the crawdads sing, not seen the film yet.

Yammy Mon 27-Mar-23 09:00:39

I learned that what the papers and even local residents tell you isn't always true of the best 25 places or 50 to live in England. Their rosy glasses are quite red.
I also told my self to leave or wean myself off grandsnet, as like DH said it is making me grumpy, aggressive and not a nice person like quite a few others have done lately.

Baggs Mon 27-Mar-23 09:46:39

...what the term "flying monkeys" means. 🤨

aggie Mon 27-Mar-23 09:50:35

Oh Baggs I just had to look that up !! Not at all what I thought ?

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 10:42:22

VioletSky

Share an interesting fact.. or Google one!

Today I learned that if sea turtles lay their eggs in warm sand, they all hatch girls but if they lay their eggs in cold sand they all hatch boys!

A similar thing occurs with crocodiles but the opposite way round:

If eggs are kept cooler, they hatch as female, warmer temperatures produce males.

I learned that at a crocodile farm - thinking we were visiting a farm where rogue crocodiles were taken but no, it is where they are farmed for their skins.

Climate change could have an effect on future populations.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 10:45:52

I didnt know a crawdad was a crayfish!

Haven't read the book yet, for some reason the name put me off 🦐
Perhaps I will now.

Fleurpepper Mon 27-Mar-23 11:01:09

Only in some parts of the USA Calli.

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Mar-23 11:11:55

I'm interested to see that the "flying monkeys" term has entered psychology.
I had no idea. I can't say I've ever used it (though may have) but certainly not in it's modern usage Baggs.

I have to say that with an older meaning in my head it's hard to even focus on the more modern meaning.

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Mar-23 11:20:24

Originally from the Wizard of Oz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_monkeys

Horrible looking things

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 13:09:09

Fleurpepper

Only in some parts of the USA Calli.

I really wouldn't fancy eating a crawdad!
😁

Similar crustaceans are known as bugs in Australia.
Equally offputting

dogsmother Mon 27-Mar-23 13:14:08

Crayfish are delicious if they are the ones I know. Bigger than lobsters and very very expensive around here!

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 13:19:26

dogsmother

Crayfish are delicious if they are the ones I know. Bigger than lobsters and very very expensive around here!

Yes, they are, it's the names which are offputting!

LRavenscroft Mon 27-Mar-23 16:07:19

Today I learnt that wood ants farm aphids to harvest honeydew.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:47:37

I learnt that, as soon as the clocks go forward, the flies come out. They must hatch out on the first sunny day.

VioletSky Mon 27-Mar-23 18:26:23

That's worrying Callistemon

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:09:58

Don't worry, they're all in our conservatory.