Gransnet forums

Chat

This ‘love you!’ malarkey.

(124 Posts)
Daddima Wed 24-May-23 09:14:14

When did this become a ‘thing’? I had a phone call yesterday from a not terribly close friend, and she signed off witn ‘ love you!’ I’ve heard it quite often recently, so, tell me, is my transition to really grumpy old woman complete?

fancythat Wed 24-May-23 09:18:42

Not heard it personally.
But anything that is "positive" nowadays, and not some of the horrors of the world, is ok with me.

Enid101 Wed 24-May-23 09:27:01

It’s the way my children and I end all our phone conversations with each other. Bit odd from someone who isn’t close to you I think.

NannyJan53 Wed 24-May-23 09:31:54

I noticed that Scot Mills on Radio 2 that when a listener calls in he always ends the call with 'love you'. The listener does the same. I always thought it very odd.

End calls with son and daughter like that...but of course I do love them smile

Shinamae Wed 24-May-23 09:33:21

Only used between family members..

Granmarderby10 Wed 24-May-23 09:34:02

Oh well, better than a kick in the eye…I suppose?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-May-23 09:37:47

Perhaps she normally says this to close family, as I do, and momentarily forgot who she was speaking to.

glammanana Wed 24-May-23 09:38:38

Whats wrong with a "love you" its a term of endearment if you ask me and very welcome to some people me included.

dragonfly46 Wed 24-May-23 09:40:02

It a bit like putting kisses at the end of a business email!

tanith Wed 24-May-23 09:40:51

I only do it with close family.

Aveline Wed 24-May-23 09:44:52

It's overuse renders it simply mindless.
It's completely insincere unless specifically used by those you love or that you love.
Have a nice day ...grin

Bella23 Wed 24-May-23 09:53:29

Only with close family and friends. Friends put one on e-mail and some Grans do when you contact them privately. I don't mind it's friendly.I would question it if the solicitor or the water company did.
And you to Aveline grin would we use kisses if they were available I think not.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-May-23 09:56:56

Germanshepherdsmum

Perhaps she normally says this to close family, as I do, and momentarily forgot who she was speaking to.

Yes.
I once ended a transaction in a shoe shop with an enthusiastic ‘love you!’ to the sales girl 🤦‍♀️

I came down with swine flu the next day, so I blame it on that

Aveline Wed 24-May-23 09:58:00

Bella23 XXX!

ginny Wed 24-May-23 10:01:18

Certainly to close family who I do love. Not otherwise.

Bella23 Wed 24-May-23 10:02:20

FannyCornforth

Germanshepherdsmum

Yes.
I once ended a transaction in a shoe shop with an enthusiastic ‘love you!’ to the sales girl 🤦‍♀️

I came down with swine flu the next day, so I blame it on that

Maybe you got a bit" too up close and personal", Fanny as my DD says about one of our neighbours she used to call the space invader.smile

Fleurpepper Wed 24-May-23 10:02:26

Use it all the time with Grand-children and ACs, and a couple of very best friends. When I mean it, with all my heart. Never otherwise.

Sago Wed 24-May-23 10:05:32

It’s all too much🤮.

M0nica Wed 24-May-23 10:19:06

DS says it to close family, but none of the rest of us end phone conversations that way.

TerriBull Wed 24-May-23 10:29:19

I think it can be said very flippantly, but we do use it within the immediate family all the time, particularly to each other and without prompting our children often finish phone calls, Whatsapps to us with it, I'm glad they do, I perceive it is said with meaning, albeit a bit of a generational thing, and of course we reciprocate like for like. I don't think you can tell a loved one that too often, it's a reaffirmation thing.

I felt the need to actually express that to my late mother in a "love you lots, I couldn't have asked for a better mum" sort of way knowing as she aged our time together would inevitably be limited. I know she didn't doubt my love for her, or hers for me, I just think possibly that generation weren't so expressive in all of that. There is a sort of catharsis when you lose someone to know that you've told them the most important thing of all.

I tend to sign off to my friends, as they do with me with a couple of xxxs.

Wyllow3 Wed 24-May-23 10:29:45

DS and DiL and therefore the kids use it: but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those terms that creeps out and get used generally as time passes.

At which point family probably will have a new term as it's got devalued. So I will use it as long as if feels OK, but I can't imagine myself using it out of the family myself.

fancythat Wed 24-May-23 10:31:30

Aveline

It's overuse renders it simply mindless.
It's completely insincere unless specifically used by those you love or that you love.
Have a nice day ...grin

I used to think that too.

But several years ago, I was in the US.
The hotel receptionists said it all the time.
I used to have a good look at them as it was said.
It seemed to me that they did indeed mean it.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-May-23 10:33:09

Oh no, Bella, I didn’t think that I caught it from her, I was blaming my fuzzy thinking on the flu
The school was rife with it!

henetha Wed 24-May-23 10:41:58

I don't really mind anything said to me as long as it's friendly and kindly meant, but on the other hand I don't really want to say 'love you' to anyone except those I do truly love. We do say it a lot within the family.

Juliet27 Wed 24-May-23 10:44:23

I’ve never got used to ‘see you soon’, ‘take care’ from complete strangers, even on the phone, who I’ll never have contact with again, and unnecessary kisses at the end of texts. It seems it’s habits we can’t break…but then I’m just an old pedantic misery!!